Author Topic: Punt Road Oval redevelopment & Indigenous institute [merged]  (Read 123650 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Punt Road Oval redevelopment & Indigenous institute
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
Traditional strugglers Richmond, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs were high on the list of clubs receiving financial support, but so, too, were the likes of Collingwood and Essendon, neither of whom appear to be anywhere near financial hard times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stop lumping us with those cretins! Financial support? I would have thought coming up with a plan and executing it by raising money anywhere we can was good business. We raise brand awareness and give something to the community. Didn't realise we were asking for something for nothing. Journalists!  :-\
Until we start winning games and pay off our debt we'll be lumped in with the rest. Lazy journalism as we are righting the ship by our own means while those other poorer clubs receive handouts just to survive. As you say RROFO applying for a grant isn't asking a handout. You do have to satisfy strict criteria to get them and the Government wants something in return in terms of community benefit. I have a mate who is vice-president of his tennis club and he's been going through this process with his local council for the past year to upgrade the courts and make them water efficient. Applying to grant schemes is common business practice.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
State Government confirms money towards Punt Rd revamp
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »
Just announced on SEN:

State Government has confirmed it's dollar contribution today towards the Punt Rd oval revamp.

Punt Rd oval will be reconfigured to a proper footy oval shape. Plus there'll be an indoor sports centre, gymnasium, community and committee rooms, Dyer Stand stand will be renovated back to prime condition, the oval will have drought proof grass, there'll be the swimming pool, etc. Basically the works.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State Government confirms money towards Punt Rd revamp
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »
Just announced on SEN:

State Government has confirmed it's dollar contribution today towards the Punt Rd oval revamp.

Punt Rd oval will be reconfigured to a proper footy oval shape. Plus there'll be an indoor sports centre, gymnasium, community and committee rooms, Dyer Stand stand will be renovated back to prime condition, the oval will have drought proof grass, there'll be the swimming pool, etc. Basically the works.

Awesome.  Punt Road in the Winter, Craigieburn in the Summer.  :rollin
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Punt Road Oval redevelopment & Indigenous institute
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
Richmond launches redevelopment
richmondfc.com.au
2:13 PM Tue 17 June, 2008

Richmond Football Club CEO, Steven Wright, was today joined by Minister for Sport, The Hon James Merlino MP, and local member and Minister for Indigenous Affairs, The Hon Dick Wynne MP at the launch of the redevelopment of Punt Road Oval.

Matthew Richardson and rising star nominee Trent Cotchin were also present to observe the bulldozer as it came crashing into the concrete terraces at the northern end of the ground.

The Victorian Government has committed a total of $4.5 million to the Richmond Football Club.

Mr Wright said that the funding would go towards the development of a new indoor facility, ground improvements and drought proofing of Punt Road Oval.

The development will be accessible to the local community and will include the following:

- Community gym
- Indoor sports centre
- Meeting rooms
- Reinstatement of the Jack Dyer Grand Stand
- A new museum

Punt Road Oval is an iconic landmark in Melbourne. For the better part of the last century it served as the hub for the Richmond Community.

This injection of much needed funding will enable the ground to be restored to its former glory and state of the art building works will be at the forefront of the development.

“Most importantly, this money will be used to repair the damaged oval so that the Richmond Football Club will once again have a permanent training base,” Mr Wright said.

A key outcome of this funding will be the introduction of a significant environmentally sustainable management system for maintaining the oval surface and community facilities at Punt Road Oval.

“Our vision is that in 2008, the centenary of RFC’s involvement in the AFL and the AFL 150th Birthday, Punt Road Oval will once again become a centre of community life for the residents of inner Melbourne,” Mr Wright said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=61630

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »
Just announced on SEN:

And Punt Rd before a Dome game and Craigeburn before a MCG game  ;)

Going by the news they've started knocking down the concrete stand/toilet block at the Northern end where the new Social club will go.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »
Just announced on SEN:

And Punt Rd before a Dome game and Craigeburn before a MCG game  ;)

Going by the news they've started knocking down the concrete stand/toilet block at the Northern end where the new Social club will go.
I just looked at the oval on google and I noted that the record crowd was 46000 vs Carlton 13/6/49 'we were squeezed in that day' I remember it well

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

Was at Punt Road today to pick up something from the Den and the media was there in droves. Car park was full.

The crane thingee was there knocking down the concrete -  you know those seats at the northern end

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »
I just looked at the oval on google and I noted that the record crowd was 46000 vs Carlton 13/6/49 'we were squeezed in that day' I remember it well

Were you suspended that day Mopsy ?  ;D

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »

Were you suspended that day Mopsy ?  ;D
No!-It was a very overcast day-the light was bad- one umpire and no TV cameras-ideal conditions :thumbsup :ROTFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
Here's a pic of the crane at the Northern end....

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/images/puntrdconstruction/180608p1.jpg

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rich Pickings (Age) - Tambling's role in the $20 million Punt Rd redevelopment
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2008, 02:55:26 AM »
Rich Pickings
Michael Gleeson | August 13, 2008

THE surrounds were stiflingly formal but Richard Tambling was unperturbed. He had a story to tell and he would tell it in his way.

It was his own story of a boy who grew up in the shade of a gum tree outside Darwin in a small community of tumbledown houses amid violence and alcohol.

Across from him in Canberra's Parliament House sat some of the most important figures in Australian politics. They listened in respectful silence.

By the time Tambling and his Richmond colleagues departed Canberra, they had received a commitment for $8.75 million in federal money for an indigenous learning centre to be built at Punt Road. The money will also in large part underwrite the $20 million total reconstruction of the club's headquarters, which will elevate Richmond to the elite of AFL club facilities.

"The idea for the centre was (Richmond chief executive) Steven Wright's, but it is fair to say Richard was extremely important in the whole process and securing the federal money," president Gary March said.

When the notion of constructing something for the indigenous community was first conceived, Wright approached Tambling and met an enthusiastic response.

"We wanted to involve the community in the centre as well as the indigenous people. It has worked pretty well with the Federal Government and Kevin Rudd saying sorry … It came out that indigenous people needed a bit of help and they were willing to do that," Tambling said.

"We went to Canberra and it was pretty daunting. A young kid coming from the bush walking into Parliament House, it wasn't anything I thought I would ever do.

"People in suits walking around — luckily, I took a pair of slacks and a T-shirt with me and didn't walk in there in a pair of jeans and a hoodie, which was good for me.

"It was difficult sitting there at the start but to have a background like mine, not many people would guess about anything I have grown up with, so it was easy to talk about because it was really just my life experience … Not many of these people in suits would realise something like this had happened until they saw and heard about it themselves."

Tambling became the club's champion for the cause because he essentially was their cause. Or at least kids such as him.

"We were conscious Richard had lived the experience first-hand and, after speaking to him, he was very eager to be involved," Wright said.

Tambling was brought up in an isolated community called the 15 Mile Camp, about 70 kilometres from Darwin.

"At the time, there were only 12 houses in the community where I grew up. It was all sort of iron and pretty much chicken wire for a house. There was a lot of alcohol and violence, so I grew up in a fairly colourful background," he said.

"I shared some of my experiences with the politicians — the sports minister and Simon Crean and people from Julia Gillard's office and some senators. I just told them the way I grew up and what it meant to me when I had a footballer come to my school when I was 11 years old.

"Even today, I remember it clearly the day the Wakelin boys came up and what that did for us as young kids. They came to my school and (former Fremantle player) Gary Dhurrkay came to my school. Gary … came from a remote community as well, so it gives you that little bit of hope and belief that you can make something of yourself because someone else has done it.

"Coming from an indigenous community, you don't get a look-in the same as a kid from, say, country Victoria in footy terms. The scouts aren't looking at the kids out in the Northern Territory region … because it is so isolated."

Tambling's story resonated with those in Canberra and the money was committed to pay for the learning centre that will be built on the third floor of the new grandstand at Punt Road, which will replace the derelict social club stand.

The football department, squeezed into decaying quarters under the old Jack Dyer Stand, will move into the new facility with expanded gyms, medical rooms, theatrettes and other essentials of a modern football club. The football department's space will increase from 300 square metres to 1000 and a museum will be constructed in the Jack Dyer Stand.

The oval will be widened to the dimensions of Telstra Dome and the new $8.5 million summer training base being built at Craigieburn will have an oval the size of the MCG. Both of these facilities will be constructed at a cost to Richmond of only $2.5 million, while the Federal Government is to contribute $8.75 million, the State Government $6.5 million, the AFL $2 million, local councils $5 million and the Craigieburn property developer $3 million.

"We could build a football facility and get away with spending about $10-12 million and you would have all the footy club needs, but the footy club is more than just the team," Wright said. "We exist to play football and win premierships but we exist because of the community, so it is important we remain connected to the community and give something back to the community. What we are building will help bring something to the community, in particular through the indigenous learning centre."

The centre will seek to run leadership and pre-employment programs for indigenous youth who would be brought to Melbourne as part reward for achievements such as school attendance. The types of programs available and the mechanics of how it would operate are still being worked out in collaboration with the AFL's indigenous programs co-ordinator, Jason Mifsud.

Operation of the program is likely to be out-sourced and sponsored but Richmond would provide the venue and facilities.

"If these kids do come down, it is not about bringing their talents out to make it to the elite level in football," Tambling said. "It could be in anything, not even in sport, it could be girls and boys but if these kids do make it to the elite level in whatever area they want to make it in, it is about personal development as much as bringing their talents to the table.

"It is about getting these kids to have self-belief and to learn a bit and if they don't make it at an elite level, they can go back to their community and become leaders back in their community and be role models in their community.

"Hopefully, I can relate to a few of them and tell them a bit about my background and what I had to go through. It wasn't laid out on the table, you had to take it and most of these kids don't believe they can. Coming from a community, they are shy, they don't have much self-belief and confidence."

Many Tiger faithful remain unsettled at the mention of Tambling's name, aching in the knowledge that there but for the grace of a recruiting choice went Lance "Buddy" Franklin. But while Franklin might be the foundation stone of an era of success at Hawthorn, he may never be as influential to his club as Tambling has already been for Richmond.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/rich-pickings/2008/08/12/1218306896955.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Poor old Richie, even in such a positive article they manage to slip in a reference to Buddy Franklin...  ::)
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Many Tiger faithful remain unsettled at the mention of Tambling's name, aching in the knowledge that there but for the grace of a recruiting choice went Lance "Buddy" Franklin. But while Franklin might be the foundation stone of an era of success at Hawthorn, he may never be as influential to his club as Tambling has already been for Richmond.

Great paragraph.

If my calaculations are correct we are recieving over 25.25 million dollars! That is fantastic!  :gotigers

We will have some of the best facilities in the land and time to scope out the best young aboriginal players for skills, temporament and potential years before the rest of the competition.

With two grounds to use which mimic the two sizes of our home grounds we will be well prepared with team structures and rehersed plays in the future to suit the different sized grounds. Very exciting!

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I've said it before and I will say it again and again

Richie Tambling is a quality young man and  will be a very good player for the RFC. And more than that the RFC are very lucky to have him

That last sentence says it all IMO

..... But while Franklin might be the foundation stone of an era of success at Hawthorn, he may never be as influential to his club as Tambling has already been for Richmond.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline moose

• Future Richmond star
arh the future