Author Topic: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.  (Read 36274 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Prelim Final: Richmond vs Collingwood, Friday night, Sept. 21.
« Reply #405 on: September 27, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
the conca decision to play in the prelim was a mistake. In fact to play him ahead of bellis was a nil all draw IMO.

Both are poo but bellis at least has delivered when it counted. Both should be shoved out the state quicker than all of us come saturday 6pm

youd think we'd learn. from memory Conca and Grffiths bought in for the North finals loss in 2015.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #406 on: September 27, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
the conca decision to play in the prelim was a mistake. In fact to play him ahead of bellis was a nil all draw IMO.

Both are poo but bellis at least has delivered when it counted. Both should be shoved out the state quicker than all of us come saturday 6pm

youd think we'd learn. from memory Conca and Grffiths bought in for the North finals loss in 2015.

those who are calling for bellis head may need to watch the GF from 2017 again and then watch the 2015 finals loss.

As i have said both are pretty crap for our game, but one has delivered when it mattered most, and one is a stuffin disgrace who should never be allowed to step on punt road again

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #407 on: September 29, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »
It's true, Bellis was good all through the final series and the Granny.  Conca is a chronic fuckup
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
I think our coaching should of come unde heat more from last Friday they had a shocker from A to Z.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
I think our coaching should of come unde heat more from last Friday they had a shocker from A to Z.
Lets face it our last couple of months of the season was far from awe inspiring, all were waiting to see if we could flick the switch in the finals. We got lucky meeting Hawks who basically were the equivalent of a 8th or 9th position team if the draw was uncompromised.

The prelim result was a combination of injuries, poor form, matchup issues and a red hot Pies team who could not put a foot wrong. Our level of performance from finals last season no doubt would have beaten Pies but we just didnt have the same momentum we had last year and paid the ultimate price.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2018, 02:34:45 PM »
Lets face it our last couple of months of the season was far from awe inspiring, all were waiting to see if we could flick the switch in the finals. We got lucky meeting Hawks who basically were the equivalent of a 8th or 9th position team if the draw was uncompromised.

The prelim result was a combination of injuries, poor form, matchup issues and a red hot Pies team who could not put a foot wrong. Our level of performance from finals last season no doubt would have beaten Pies but we just didnt have the same momentum we had last year and paid the ultimate price.

All fair points.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »

Good Summary. Would also add team selection

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #412 on: October 01, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »
Cotch and Grimesy were on the "That's Good For Footy" show last week after the Prelim Final loss.

Cotch was asked straight up at the start of the show about the "elephant in room"- What went wrong?
Cotch compared the Prelim to the Round 16 St Kilda game of 2017 where everything went wrong for us and right for the opposition. Disappointing and frustrating for such a performance to occur in such an important match as a Prelim. The players are feeling just as frustrated (as our supporters).

Cotch also wouldn't use injury as an excuse. Said Dusty would admit himself he didn't have his best game like most of us. Jokingly called Dusty "soft" over that one corky when Dyl would cop 5-6 corkies each and every week.

Finally, Cotch added that while we'll make additions to and subtractions from our list and make other tweaks, we won't be changing our structures. We got back to within 21 points at one stage early in the last quarter which totally flattered us. That shows our structures still held up.

WATCH IT HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvoST4zGSY

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #413 on: October 02, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »

True. Hopefully we work out and learn from what went wrong in the last 6 weeks or so of the season at both AFL & VFL levels.

ps. Hopefully Dimma learns the next time we play Collingwood:
(i) The Pies try to blitz sides in the first 40 mins. If you can keep within a couple of goals of them you'll run then down in the second half. We however panicked and fell totally apart structurally which resulted in us coughing up 6 goals in the 10 mins either side of quarter time. That was the game.
(ii) Whoever plays on DeGoey plays him from in front not behind. It takes away his space to lead into. It was bad enough he had Rance on him instead of Grimes but even so Rance should have been instructed to play in front. No coincidence that McGovern took that game saving mark because he played DeGoey from in front. It also showed how DeGoey is unaccountable when played in this way. Runs hard forward but won't work back defensively.
(iii) With Grimes on DeGoey, Rance can float in front of Cox or initiate early body contact to spoil Cox.
(iv) Tag Sidebottom: 41 disposals against us down to just 14 in the GF.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Rance has been below average on the 1 vs 1 all year. I don't know if it's form or lingering injuries but he has been outmarked a lot this year. He is a champion and I'd back him to rise up again. At his best I would say he could easily beat Cox in a 50/50 marking contest without a 3rd man like Astbury or broad floating in

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Rance has been below average on the 1 vs 1 all year. I don't know if it's form or lingering injuries but he has been outmarked a lot this year. He is a champion and I'd back him to rise up again. At his best I would say he could easily beat Cox in a 50/50 marking contest without a 3rd man like Astbury or broad floating in

No1 is beating Cox when he is allowed an acre of space to lead into. From memory he might have taken a couple of pack marks but his goals came from marks on the lead. Couldnt believe how bad we were set up inside D50 against the pies.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #416 on: October 03, 2018, 11:36:49 PM »
Rance gets beaten just like every other player that’s played the game. He is a star but he is human!
To say he has been “below avarage” 1 vs 1 this year is BS.
Below average is Tyson Goldsack not Alex Rance.

If it wasn’t for Alex Rance we would be in all sorts.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Rance gets beaten just like every other player that’s played the game. He is a star but he is human!
To say he has been “below avarage” 1 vs 1 this year is BS.
Below average is Tyson Goldsack not Alex Rance.

If it wasn’t for Alex Rance we would be in all sorts.

I guess I could have worded that better. I meant below average on his previous years. Like say in the 2017 GF he was stopping everything coming his way and looked like winning the norm Smith at half time.

I love Rance just as much as everyone on this forum. But I do believe this is one of his leaner years (from his standards) and his placing in the Jack Dyer medal reflects that

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #418 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Agreed. He was well below his best this year.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #419 on: October 04, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
Who wasn’t? You could put half the team in the same category IMO.

Cotch, Dusty, Lambert, Rance etc

Perhaps if we had players like Nank guarding the space he was supposed to and grimes started on de goey this wouldn’t even be mentioned. Rance has had a good year but like many saved his worst for the end

poo happens
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.