Author Topic: How did we think we went in the draft overall?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: How did we think we went in the draft overall?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 07:55:07 PM »
The Age trashed our picks in todays paper.

You can ignore that article, it was done by some lazy and uniformed journalist.

Foremost, Connors played for Bendigo not Geelong, and secondly he is far from slow.

IMO, Miller's comments were very good. Riewoldt, Edwards and Connors are three outstanding prospects, all a probably worth top 20 picks IMO. Peterson and Collins sound like good prospective draftees. OVerall  :thumbsup for me

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 08:42:59 PM »
The more I think about it, the more i think we've done well.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 08:58:47 PM »
I was critical of us not having a third round pick but getting Connors at 58 means pretty much no difference in the end IMO. I'd reckon we would've taken Connors at 42 anyway. We could've have just ended up with 2 good kids plus 3 speculatives types in this strong draft but it's turned out as bluey has said that we've ended up with 3 good kids plus 2 late speculatives. The proof will be in 5 years time but I'm much more happier now than I was before Saturday.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 02:59:09 AM »
Miller's view from the article "Every club wins in 'super draft'" (foxsports.com)

"We had a sensational day but I'm sure every club would have," Richmond director of football Greg Miller said of his club, which didn't get a look-in until selecting Tasmanian forward Jack Riewoldt at No.13.

"There are 16 very pleased clubs now because they've all got at least two really good players into their mix – every club would be rapt in their first couple of choices for sure.

"Good draft, great talent, there'll be some great players come out of this year.

"You'll look back in five years' time and you'll see how good this draft is."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20824248-23211,00.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »
As I said before I will bow to the expertise of GM & FJ and Tezza for that matter - they obviously had a plan and stuck to it and that in its self is a good thing IMO.

I am going to a THC function Wednesday night where they will supposedly be going over the players drafted - should be interesting

The proof will be in 5 years time but I'm much more happier now than I was before Saturday.

Tend to agree - hopefully will have a better feeling after Wednesday :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 05:00:15 AM »
Not sure how I think we went, in regards to there being a heap of "apparent" talent in this draft.

I am happy we ignored Sellar, bearing in mind the thread of his myspace page on BigFooty.  If he was going to be that good, he would not have been passed over by so many clubs.

Not seen Riew, so hope the brainstrust got this right.  I like the fact we picked up Conners and Edwards.  Should fit in well with our midfield.  Hoepfully they have good preseasons, put on some muscle and play good seasons in the magoos pushing for senior selection.

Peterson and Collins seem speculative, but the fact FJ and GM were looking at these two fills me with more confidence than the 2002 or 2003 draft with other speculative picks.  ;D (Fleming, Nicholls, Sipthorpe, Gilmore, Fletcher, Archibald and Morrison)

Some do come off though.  Raines, Tuck and to a lesser extent Hartigan and Jackson. 

I am pretty sure we will take KK for a year.  (unless of course an overlooked draftee trains the house down like White) or even Perry?

Will Limbach be rookied by us?

And who will Nth and Hawthorn take in the PSD before us?  Perry to Hawthorn? A Cloke to Nth?

Will Roach get a guernsey at the Aints?  Hope he does.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:01 PM »
Will Roach get a guernsey at the Aints?  Hope he does.

Would be surprised if Thomas got picked up on their senior list - perhaps they may rookie him

I am pretty sure we will take KK for a year. (unless of course an overlooked draftee trains the house down like White) or even Perry?

Agree - I've thought all along he'd be taken as insurance in case we lose a mature bodied player

Will Limbach be rookied by us?

Up to Dean and how he goes over the next couple of week I reckon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Draft Picks Change Trade Results (aflinsider.net)
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 10:25:08 PM »
2006 AFL Trading: Draft Picks Change Trade Results
insider.net
December 10th 2006

A brief look at the players who were taken with the traded draft picks. It changes some of the trade results, with who might have got the better of the deals, but with anything involving the draft the real result will be several years away.

Collingwood: Paul Medhurst, Ben Reid and Tyson Goldsack
Fremantle: Chris Tarrant and Bachar Houli
Richmond: Graham Polak, Jack Riewoldt and Carl Peterson

Still looks like a trade where every team got what they wanted, but Richmond do look like the winner here. They only moved down a few spots but still ended up with Riewoldt as well as Polak. Collingwood also turned Tarrant into a possible superstar as they used pick 8 on Ben Reid. Fremantle got what they wanted too, players to help them get to the Grand Final, and by sending out a pick and a couple of players they didn't use they got Tarrant and Solomon.

http://www.aflinsider.net/2006-afl-trading-draft-picks-change-trade-results/