Author Topic: Should the top postions of the club be held by those who are actual supporters?  (Read 773 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Should the top postions of the club - namely president and CEO - be held by those who are actual long-time supporters?

Former CEO Mark Brayshaw is a "passionate North man" and alot of tiger fans linked Casey with Essendon [they are both still working together (see below)]. Whereas someone like Steven Wright and the current RFC board members IIRC are Tigers through and through.

Just hours after AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou convinced the Roos to appoint Mark Brayshaw as chief executive, Brayshaw declined the position.

The former North Melbourne player and Richmond CEO decided to accept an upgraded offer to stay with the Links Living group, chaired by former Richmond FC president Clinton Casey.

"I remain a passionate North man and wish them all the best in the future."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20930043%

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If they are actual supporters you can be guaranteed that they have the club's interests at heart.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Mark Brayshaw and Cameron Schwab are the only people I can think of who were not long-time supporters of the VFL/AFL club they were/are CEO or president of.
I like having a supporter in all positions. That's just because I want them to be as passionate about the club as possible. Probably has nothing to do with how well they'd do their job for the club though. Possibly an advantage not to be a supporter in some decision making.

As for CC, I saw him at a few games in 2006. Looked like he was there supporting the tiges to me. No idea if he's a long-time Richmond supporter. Never seen any proof otherwise from people (elsewhere) who link him to Essendon.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
It would agree that it would be of a benefit if they were supporters, but saying that Qualifications come first aswell as a 'Knack' for the job.
The feild I work in I have seen qualifications coming out of every orriface and they still don't mean poo in the scheme of things.

You can be qualified to look after kids but not necessarily have the knack of the rapore some people have with them. On that note as a career 'nanny' lets say you would I presume do a fantastic job and do everything to care for the kids, but not as much as for your own child.   :santa