Author Topic: Off-field coup brewing: Barrett  (Read 25859 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Off-field coup brewing: Barrett
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
Rigging raffles now......club's a stuffing shambles....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2016, 06:40:55 PM »
The other interesting thing she said in the 3AW interview was regard9ng list management and that was club cannot trade away its  first round draft pick unless approved by the board

Oh and the silence is absolutely deafening regarding he comments i posted about Speed having no link to the pub crew.

Who's telling porkies?

I believe Malcolm is overseas in Rio at the moment

Errr no

Malcolm was sitting in front of Peggy at last night's game

So who's telling porkies

Well he was overseas the week before
Only tell you want I was told
I actually couldn't care less
After listening to Mark Choco Williams garbage last night
We aren't in good shape

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Did Williams make a speech at the pre-game function?

What did he say?

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
Did Williams make a speech at the pre-game function?

What did he say?

3121 club
Plenty of questions
Funny Dimma says best list he has got
Choco says major changes ahead
Well known players will be traded out he said

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
EGM here we come?  Giddy up.

Seems the pres is as stubborn as half step.  Wonder what she'll do if Benny moves to further his career.

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2016, 07:45:47 PM »
i can think of only one thing she might do if he decides to leave.

EGM or not the sooner they are replaced the better. Her comments about dimwit last night just proves our delusional she is. Surely she is not that dumb to think they didnt make a mistake in extending his tenure. No one can be that dumb. I mean even every single one of us here agrees it was a bad move, but not these 2 at the top.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
Interesting, she sounded pretty confident.

Also noted Benny Gale looked like he went through 20 pkts of jucyfruit.

Something in the wings??

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »

We aren't in good shape

Facts are O'Neal said that Speed contacted her and EVERY OTHER board member during the week upset & denying any connection to the "Malvern Pub" group

The Malvern Group or the "agitators" as Mick Warner from the HUN called them on 3AW last have implied that Speed will be president if they get the transition they are demanding. The inference is they have spoken to him about this

So I repeat the question who is telling porkies  :huh

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Perhaps they want him pres without having spoken to him.  Whether he wants to or not is another matter.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »
Perhaps they want him pres without having spoken to him. 
Which would be very unprofessional, hopefully not a prelude as to how they will run the club if they get in.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Does Richmond need on and off-field upheaval and blood-letting, asks Mark Robinson

MARK ROBINSON
Herald Sun
August 7, 2016

THE weirdness of football slaps you in the face when you consider Collingwood and Richmond.

Both team are on 32 points, having won eight matches and lost 11, and the angst at both clubs clearly is on different sides of the ledger.

At Richmond, coach Damien Hardwick is under siege and the board, led by Peggy O’Neal, is staring at an extraordinary general meeting because a group, now known as the Malvern crew, thinks the board needs change.

The difference between Richmond and Collingwood is that Richmond has made finals in the past three seasons and expectation has fuelled the current volcanic emotion about the Tigers.

It’s dangerous to take sides in a board battle, but how anyone can pot the board for wiping out a $5 million debt, enticing 70,000 members and building a successful operation off-field is beyond belief.

Change is important. Change because a group of people wants new ideas and direction at the club is beyond reasonable argument.

That said, there will be change of personnel at board level. At least two directors will retire and there will be robust manoeuvring from both inside and outside the club about filling those positions.

Damien Hardwick will coach in 2017 so the noise about whether he should or shouldn’t is largely irrelevant.

- Attributed to...

If there is an extraordinary general meeting, then there will be upheaval. The new group, if it gets up, will probably want to sack Hardwick.

If successful with its ambitions, it will cost the club a million bucks to sack the coach. They want a bloodless coup. But there’s nothing of the sort.

Upheaval indeed looms, which the club and the AFL don’t want a bar of.

There are two battle fronts at Richmond.

Board spills take no prisoners. Already, prominent Richmond fan Joe Russo has had a character assassination from media figures. I don’t know Russo, but if you believe what you read, he is an associate - don’t you love that word - of allegedly unsavoury types.

Those who know Russo say he is a sincere and honourable man who only wants what’s best for Richmond and who is now considering legal action against said media types for their portrayal of him.

Anyhow, he’s an early casualty and there probably will be more.

On the field and in the football department, which surely is the area of single most concern, the Tigers are in a spot.

It’s weird again that some of the commentary now says Friday night’s win over Collingwood was just “one game” and it covers the cracks.

But just imagine if the Tigers lost by 90 points. That one game would’ve possibly been a coach killer.

So if a loss was supposedly so alarming, then surely the win has to deliver a sense of reassurance.

The point is, Hardwick and his team were under siege and 22 young men stood up against a team which had been playing pretty solid football since the bye break.

Four goals behind after 10 minutes, they could’ve easily found it too hard. They didn’t. It wasn’t a win for the ages, but don’t dismiss it as just another game.

Tigers fans saw what they wanted to see. In the second quarter, three Tigers gang-tackled Rupert Wills and the Tigers won the free kick. Albeit frustrating because we don’t see it every week, it was the kind of approach that gives hope for the future.

Yes, there will significant change in the football department at the end of the season. Assistant coaches will go and recruiting and development will be savagely assessed. Still, the argument surrounds the coach.

Hardwick is an interesting type. He doesn’t care about “external noise’’ and sometimes gives the impression that only he knows what’s right for Richmond and everyone else can get stuffed.

He’s been accused of giving mixed messages this season, but a season of mixed results can do that. He has stuck fat, however, with his belief that his team had to change personnel and, because the results dictated it, he has played plenty of kids.

They were on offer against the Magpies: Markov, Marcon, Short and in recent weeks we have seen Castagna, Drummond and over the season the emergence of Daniel Rioli, Corey Ellis and Connor Menadue. There’s eight kids. There’s the immediate future.

Hardwick will coach in 2017 so the noise about whether he should or shouldn’t is largely irrelevant. I’m not fussed either way, but the symbolism of Hardwick

being swamped by his players in the rooms in the post-match is too powerful to ignore.

The win and the emotion is one of the reasons why Peggy O’Neal won’t really be drawn on the coach. Because to her it’s not an issue.

No, her concern is the board.

In her presidential speech on Friday night, O’Neal urged for stability.

“Stability at this club has been important,’’ she said. “Good clubs are stable clubs and it has been a key to our improved performance on and off the field in recent years.

“Stability and change actually go hand-in-hand. Stability allows change.

“Instability and change become chaos and I refuse to let that happen to this club. Some have tried to suggest that stability has come at the expense of change. That is utter nonsense. This is a very different club to the one it was even as recently as four years ago.’’

Inspiring words won’t quell the agitators, however.

If, after one terribly disappointing season, the agitators want to turn the club upside down, then they can knock themselves out with their endeavours.

But does one bad season require such upheaval?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/does-richmond-need-on-and-offfield-upheaval-and-bloodletting-asks-mark-robinson/news-story/833b6eb3a82c6172c78a3a01d24a7931

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2016, 09:30:21 AM »
One bad season?

Does Flobbo think that finishing 8th or 7th in an 18 team competition is the definition of success?

Here in lies the problem. We have never tackled hard enough, shepherded, blocked, run to space and use the fat side when attacking anywhere near enough to ever be a side capable of finishing top 4.

Our coaches have often taken the flair out of player's games.

I think that these things are what people agitate about. That and the refusal to play obviously talented youngsters but instead opting for senior types that have had way too many chances....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »
yeah but its a lot easier for the media to simplistic calling it baying for blood, bloodletting an over reaction etc - even Rohan connelly whose work I havent minded for a few yrs now opened up with the - it takes me back to when I first started footy - some things never change blah blah blah

stuffing parasites

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:03 AM »
One bad season?

Does Flobbo think that finishing 8th or 7th in an 18 team competition is the definition of success?

Yep and this is the problem.  The bar really is set low at tigerland.  Making the finals is an over achievement for us which needs to be celebrated.  Give the coach and the current board the keys to the city coz we made the 8.  Pretty sick of reading this year was disappointing and the past 3 years were a success.  The media jump on and portray it as fact.  The biggest disappointment though is that the "silent majority" who have been accustomed to accepting such a low bar are lapping up the spin and accept it as truth. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:16:30 PM by Harry »

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »

We aren't in good shape

Facts are O'Neal said that Speed contacted her and EVERY OTHER board member during the week upset & denying any connection to the "Malvern Pub" group

The Malvern Group or the "agitators" as Mick Warner from the HUN called them on 3AW last have implied that Speed will be president if they get the transition they are demanding. The inference is they have spoken to him about this

So I repeat the question who is telling porkies  :huh

I personally don't care who tell what
My OPINION is that the boys/mates club at Punt Rd needs to end
I blame the current board for the operations of the footy and recruiting department
That's only my opinion
I was also told that Speed would become President
Personally I would keep Hardwick but remove his mates from the footy department
If the current board think the footy dept is on track
Well they need to be outed
Carlton have worse list but are better performing with a game plan