Author Topic: Polak knew it was time to go (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3210 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak knew it was time to go (Herald-Sun)
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:08:14 AM »
Polak knew it was time to go
06 February 2007   Herald-Sun
Bruce Matthews

RICHMOND sent an assistant coach to Fremantle as a double check on Graham Polak before it committed to the disgruntled Docker.

The mission to the west came after Polak had used a team trip to Melbourne for the Grand Final to pitch his case to the Tigers.

"I had a frustrating last two years with Fremantle and thought I needed a change. Richmond were keen and I was keen to come here," Polak said during the Tigers' camp at Phillip Island yesterday.
"Fremantle came over to Melbourne for the Grand Final and I met with Richmond at the time.

"We sat down to discuss where they saw me at and what I wanted to do. And I was very keen to come here."

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said he always held a high opinion of Polak's ability, but he wanted to make sure the mental approach matched the physical attributes after the meeting with himself and Tiger officials Greg Miller and Paul Armstrong at Punt Rd.

"I wanted to meet him to see where he was in his own head, what he wanted to achieve," Wallace said.

"We sent Brian Royal over to WA after that to spend some time with him to get to know the person. Once we'd had those secondary meetings, we decided that was the pathway."

Polak, a key forward with East Fremantle before being drafted into the AFL, has excelled during pre-season while being groomed for a key defence post.

"It's a fresh start, like the first day back at school," he said. "The pre-season has been uninterrupted, touch wood, and I can't wait to pull on the colours. My body is feeling good.

"I've been training down in the backline, but Plough (Wallace) said he may switch me around."

Wallace recalled, as then Western Bulldogs coach, watching longingly when Polak was snapped up at No. 4 behind Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd in the talent-laden 2001 national draft.

"His level at the under-18s was outstanding. We didn't have a pick that high when I was at the Bulldogs," the Tigers coach said.

"If you have been the best in the business at 18, given the right development, given the right opportunity, you ought to be able to be up there at 24 years of age.

"Our needs at this stage are more in our defensive area. But to have the flexibility . . . "

"I will say there will be times in games when we'll throw him the other way."

Polak, starting a three-year contract, is learning the Tigers' style during increased match-simulation work in the past month.

He will continue the adjustments in a practice match at Wonthaggi tomorrow.

"There has been a lot longer running at Richmond than at Fremantle, but my body is used to it now," he said.

"It was around the finals last year when I missed out that I realised it was probably time for a change."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21176652%255E20322,00.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Polak knew it was time to go (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:58:59 AM »
Let's hope this is another Fremantle stuff-up (Lloyd, McLeod etc.) and Polak really turns it on for us.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:49:54 PM »
I am tipping you will see alot of Polak at Coburg this year

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Freo was not going to support Polhack's lifestyle anymore.

3 year deal - he needs to work harder than ever before on his fitness just to get to contests so that he can compete at AFL level.

Needs to justify the faith from the word go, does not deserve any leadtime.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »
I am tipping you will see alot of Polak at Coburg this year
Based on what??? Certainly not his current training form. Seems to be doing pretty well in the NAB rankings. Is this based on logic or is it on a personal level? I think he will perform very well for us this season. I'm betting on little or no Coburg time so one of us will be wrong.  :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
If he doesnt play 15 senior games then his recruitment has been a dead set failure.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:42:32 PM »
I'm betting on little or no Coburg time so one of us will be wrong.  :thumbsup

I'm with you tiga - I cannot see Polak spending much time at Coburg unless he was coming back from an injury and touch wood he doesn't suffer any of those  :pray
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:24 PM »
If he doesnt play 15 senior games then his recruitment has been a dead set failure.

Mail around is that he will spend a fair amount of time at the ""burgers""
From Tomatoe Sauce ! ;) ;)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »

I guess Kent will need the company. :P

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »
I still don't get it??? ??? Why on earth would we sign a player on a lucrative 3 year contract only to have him spend one of those years in the magoo's. He's mature enough, appears to be fit enough and no injuries in sight as yet. Also we signed him specifically to fill the KP defensive spot vacated by Chubba. Jack I think your Source is on the Sauce with regards to this one.  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »

I'm not saying certain Tiger fans won't be calling him a dud at times during the year lol but going on his training form I honestly can't see that  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:59:57 PM »
Maybe Jackstar has him confused with Mal Michael - he's been watching a lot of the bombers lately...... ;)      ;)

Jackstar

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:10:17 PM »
Lets just say a leopard doesnt change its spots very often, we are all hearing the tigers perception on things, can tell you this, speak to anyone at freo, it aint good.
Jury is out on this player i think.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »
Lets just say a leopard doesnt change its spots very often, we are all hearing the tigers perception on things, can tell you this, speak to anyone at freo, it aint good.
Jury is out on this player i think.
Jack, would you ever ask for a character reference from and ex partner? I'm keeping the faith on this one. Go Polak and I'm looking forward to him giving Buddy a towelling when we meet the Dawks. :thumbsup 

Jackstar

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »
 I employ many people in my place of employment and aways carry out at least 2 references checks on each applicant.
We also put them through medical checks and other skill tests as well. ummmmmmmmmm