Author Topic: Kane Lambert retires [merged]  (Read 160935 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Kane Lambert [merged]
« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2018, 05:42:26 AM »
From Robbo's 'likes' column:

5. Kane Lambert

The AFL’s Mr Unassuming is barrelling towards All-Australian consideration. Third in last year’s best-and-fairest, the Tiger has probably taken his game to a higher level as a forward-flanker and occasional onballer. He is categorised as a general forward, having played only 30 per cent in the midfield this year. He is ranked the second-highest general forward behind Hawk Luke Breust, who will be All-Australian if his form continues, and too often is bunched in Richmond’s brigade of small forwards. He’s better than that. He’s a star in the best team in the competition.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/st-kilda-essendon-and-richmond-v-collingwood-among-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-15/news-story/dd78acec7c2fc5f588de1940b4e10bc9

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #436 on: July 02, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »

5. Kane Lambert

The AFL’s Mr Unassuming is barrelling towards All-Australian consideration. Third in last year’s best-and-fairest, the Tiger has probably taken his game to a higher level as a forward-flanker and occasional onballer. He is categorised as a general forward, having played only 30 per cent in the midfield this year. He is ranked the second-highest general forward behind Hawk Luke Breust, who will be All-Australian if his form continues, and too often is bunched in Richmond’s brigade of small forwards. He’s better than that. He’s a star in the best team in the competition.

Can you believe that the Age ( Michael Gleeson ) actually gave Buddy votes and left Lambert out? I've got to stop reading this comic magazine

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/st-kilda-essendon-and-richmond-v-collingwood-among-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-15/news-story/dd78acec7c2fc5f588de1940b4e10bc9

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #437 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »

5. Kane Lambert

Can you believe that the Age ( Michael Gleeson ) actually gave Buddy votes and left Lambert out? I've got to stop reading this comic magazine

LOL, Cant wait for Brownlow night

3 L Franklin
2 J Kennedy
1 R Chamberlain G Rohan

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
Lambert’s averaging 21.9 disposals, 3.6 marks and 3.4 inside-50s per match and is now no longer flying under the radar in the eyes of the football world.

“He’s a fantastic player,” Hardwick said.

“He’s had success at VFL level and it’s transitioned to AFL over the last couple of years, and he’s just got enormous belief in himself . . . As coaching staff, we do, too.

“His ability to work from contest to contest is second to none.

“He’s incredible to watch. We’re fortunate, we get to watch him behind the goals and we see what he does and how he works.

“He had a great game again tonight, he had a fantastic game last week (v Sydney) as well.”

Lambert was typically modest when asked about his fine form by Richmond great and Channel Seven commentator Matthew Richardson just after the final siren sounded in last night’s match.

“It’s been good, but my game’s not really based on the back of possessions. It’s always nice to get your hands on it, but there’s other things in my game that I need to perform . . . hard work and running both ways,” Lambert said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-07/hardwick-acclaims-lambert

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
Lambert has become an A grade player for mine. Getting him so cheap. What a bonus. Just a fantastic runner, kicks goals, works hard. A top notch footballer.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2018, 12:07:32 AM »
Kane’s courage

Kane Lambert was sensational early, gathering a game-high 11 touches and snapping a goal in a brilliant first term. Before quarter-time, the underrated runner showed breathtaking courage to mark while running with the flight of the ball, crashing into oncoming Saints youngster Bailey Rice in the process.

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-20/five-talking-points-st-kilda-v-richmond

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
Lambert has become an A grade player for mine. Getting him so cheap. What a bonus. Just a fantastic runner, kicks goals, works hard. A top notch footballer.

If his goal kicking was better, he'd be bordering on elite.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »

the best part is we stole him right from the noses of the baggas.  :clapping :clapping

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
He owed us after how soft he was against GWS.

Good boy
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
 :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »
[Lambert is] averaging 22.3 disposals per match and is ranked 10th in the competition for score involvements.

“I was probably one of those people that you look at his size and you automatically think, not sure where he fits in an AFL mould. But the one thing he’s got is incredible key strengths,” Hardwick said following another top-class display by Lambert in last Friday night’s win against St Kilda.

“Every level he’s played at, he’s excelled at.

“It’s no coincidence . . . he works incredibly hard, he’s one of our best trainers, and he’s a great inspiration to those players that aren’t playing (AFL football) at the moment who are probably a little bit small in stature, but have got some key strengths.

“He plays to them every week.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-22/lambert-leads-the-way

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »
Kane now has the second most coaches votes at Richmond.

7th. Dusty     54
13th. Lambert 48
17th. Cotchin  46

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-23/aflca-votes-round-18-ten-for-toms-exciting-bomber

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
Lambert would have racked up a few Brownlow votes as well

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #448 on: July 27, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »
Kane Lambert had to watch 836 players drafted ahead of him before being taken by the Tigers

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
July 27, 2018

KANE Lambert stepped out of Richmond’s yellow and black stretch limousine with his sunglasses on and an empty Corona bottle in hand.

It was 4pm and Lambert had been chauffeured from Punt Rd to the Yarra Valley for best mate and former Tiger Adam Marcon’s wedding.

About 24 hours earlier, Lambert had kicked Richmond 28 points clear of Adelaide in the third quarter of the 2017 Grand Final.

You could only imagine the frivolities that would have taken place that night.

Lambert’s next task was to deliver a wedding speech, and his dusty appearance — after limo riding in a Tigers’ polo and without socks — might have had onlookers concerned.

“I don’t think he’d slept too much,” Marcon said. “He sobered up a little by the time he had to make his speech.

“But I had Kane’s suit for him at the venue and he scrubbed up well.”

If you think this was a scene out of the movie The Hangover, think again.

Lambert arrived in style — alongside Jason Castagna, Dan Butler and housemate Jayden Short — and, much like his belated AFL arrival, he was ready to go.

“He was taking notes for his speech months out,” Marcon said. “He was asking us questions and wanted to cover all bases. When he got to that moment he wanted to be prepared and not anxious. He’s an absolute professional.”

By the time Lambert grabbed the microphone, no notes were required.

“He just recited it, because he’d prepared so well,” Marcon said.

“He did a fantastic job, and that sums him up pretty well.”

The ensuing beers were well deserved, because the premiership player’s career had not followed the script.

On Lambert’s 18th birthday he got his driver’s licence in the morning and was overlooked in the first of six national drafts in the evening.

In total, Lambert watched AFL clubs take 836 players before Richmond finally took him.

Lambert has long been a workaholic. He had to be.

“I’m not the most talented player out there, but I want to be the hardest working,” he said.

“That’s basically how my game works. My strength is my work-rate, plain and simple.

“I (look at) GPS numbers and how many contests I can get to. That’s my main focus.”

This season, Lambert has topped Richmond’s GPS in 14 out of 17 games. In nine of those matches — 10 including the Grand Final — he also out-ran all 22 opponents.

In five games this year, Lambert has clocked more than 16km.

His dedication to nailing his heartfelt wedding speech would not have surprised his coach, Damien Hardwick.

“It’s no coincidence he works incredibly hard,” Hardwick said. “He’s one of our best trainers.”

In fact, after a quiet half in Round 1, Hardwick said this: “He was working too hard. He was trying to get involved too much — he’s such an important player for us.”

But Lambert, 26, has talent. You don’t place third in Richmond’s best-and-fairest in a premiership season, ahead of captain Trent Cotchin, without ability.

That puts Lambert in fine company.

Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead rounded out Hawthorn’s podium in premiership seasons, while Brownlow medallists Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn) and Jimmy Bartel (Geelong) have each done it twice.

This year, Lambert sits 13th in the AFL coaches’ award. Again, he is ahead of Cotchin.

The knock on Lambert was always his size.

“I was probably one of those people where you look at his size and you automatically think, ‘I’m not sure if he fits in an AFL mould’,” Hardwick said.

“But he’s got incredible key strengths, and every level he’s played at he’s excelled.”

Lambert couldn’t do much about his 178cm height. But after he was overlooked on his 18th birthday, despite winning Northern Knights’ best-and-fairest, he quit football to bulk up.

“I sent tapes to two clubs and have said since day one he’s a right-footed Anthony Stevens,” former Knights coach Denis Pagan said.

“Josh Caddy and Dylan Grimes played in that team, but nobody wanted to know about Kane Lambert. I was flabbergasted.”

So, in 2010, Lambert packed 10kg onto his frame and paid the bills by stacking 20L tins of paint at a Preston factory run by Marcon’s father, Adrian.

In 2011, Lambert and Marcon joined VFL club Northern Blues, where several coaches promised to push the pair to Carlton.

“Lambert has been knocking over the best opposition player each week. I’ve definitely made Carlton aware,” 2011 coach Darren Harris said.

That year another 160 players were drafted, none of them Lambert.

In 2012 Robert Hyde took the coaching reins.

“I’m going to promote them for a rookie spot at Carlton,” Hyde said.

“That’s the pathway, and the game’s becoming a bit shorter up top — it’s not your giants any more.”

That year another 130 players were drafted, none of them Lambert.

In 2013, Lambert won the VFL Rising Star, the Northern Blues’ best-and-fairest and was one vote off the J.J. Liston Trophy.

Another 117 players were drafted, including Northern Blue Jacob Ballard (Fremantle), but none of them Lambert.

Ironically, Ballard now stars for Richmond’s VFL team.

The Blues drafted 12 rookies from 2011-13. Ciaran Byrne and Tom Bell (now at Brisbane) are the only survivors.

Lambert and Marcon were fed up with empty promises, and so in 2014 they crossed to Williamstown.

Early on, Lambert recovered from hip surgy. In September, he delivered.

How is this for a semi-final stats sheet? Lambert recorded 32 disposals, 17 clearances, 15 inside 50s and kicked four goals — three in the final quarter as Williamstown fought back from 32 points down at the final change.

It was the match that made his career.

“Kane had a really strong VFL finals series,” Tigers recruiter Francis Jackson said. “When the standard steps up, he was able to play his best footy.

“We’re delighted someone who’s been knocked back a couple of times dusts themselves off and perseveres.”

Lambert was preparing for work at a gym before the 2014 rookie draft, when he received a voicemail from Tigers list boss Blair Hartley.

“I’d had no contact from any club, let alone Richmond,” Lambert said.

“I actually thought a couple of my (Williamstown) mates were going to get picked up — Adam Marcon and Michael Gibbons.”

When Marcon learned the news he dashed to Lambert’s house via Rebel Sport, sporting a new Richmond jumper.

“It was like a dream come true for both of us,” said Marcon, who was rookie-listed by Richmond in 2015.

Within hours Lambert was grouped with Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin and Ty Vickery in an “Amazing Race-type” dash to the airport for a flight to Townsville.

Just as quickly, Lambert forced a change to Richmond’s recruiting policy.

“You know when you go to the Gold Coast (theme parks), and you have a thing, ‘You’ve got to be this high?’,” Hardwick said.

“I used to have that in (Jackson’s) office. I’ve now brought it down after Kane came in, so anyone above 120cm gets in for our club.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/kane-lambert-had-to-watch-836-players-drafted-ahead-of-him-before-being-taken-by-the-tigers/news-story/f7c631af5638947392bb70757f1eb0d4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #449 on: August 06, 2018, 12:39:05 PM »
Kane Lambert on SEN's Crunch Time (4/08/2018):

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=261732

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“I think there’s a lot of growth in my game,” Lambert told SEN’s ‘Crunch Time’ program.

“When you’re told you’re not good enough for so long, somewhere deep inside you probably start to believe it.

“But to be able to put performance and continuity in my footy, the belief started to grow . . . You feel comfortable and like you belong . . .

“I think the wheel started to turn midway through last year . . . (assistant coaches) Blake Caracella and Andrew McQualter have been huge for me in that regard.

“They’re allowing me to play to my strengths, which is great for my confidence as well.”

Another feature of Lambert’s game this season has been his increased potency up forward. He’s kicked 15 goals so far, compared to 13 for the entire 2017 season.

“I did want to become a little bit more damaging centre forward, particularly. I thought last year I probably wasn’t as clean as I would have liked,” he said.

“Getting on the scoreboard, and being involved in scoring chains, was a bit of focus for me.

“My best footy at VFL level I was able to kick goals and my next step I felt, at AFL level, was to be a bit more damaging in the front half.”

The gun midfielder had 31 disposals, eight inside-50s, eight intercepts, eight score involvements, six marks, seven tackles and 453 metres gained in the Tigers’ three-point win.

After finishing third in the Jack Dyer Medal in Richmond’s 2017 premiership year, Lambert has elevated his game to an even higher level this season.

He is averaging 22.4 disposals per match and is ranked 10th in the competition for score involvements.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-08-05/lambert-lifts-game-to-lofty-heights