Author Topic: Casey poised to step down  (Read 1204 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Casey poised to step down
« on: August 31, 2005, 02:42:26 AM »
 Business to force Tigers' boss out
Greg Denham
The Australian
August 31, 2005

LESS than a year after surviving one of the AFL's most bitter attempted coups, Richmond president Clinton Casey is poised to step down because of increased business pressure.

Casey, who has been chairman of the Tigers since December 1999, defied last year's long-running boardroom challenge. He eventually retained control in a landslide ballot victory over an alternative rebel ticket headed by former directors Charles Macek and Brendan Schwab.

During one of the Tigers' lowest periods, Casey's nine-member board was re-elected by members last December with Casey reappointed as president for three years.

The 45-year-old is considering his position because of a likely workload increase in his roles as managing director of Retirement Services Australia and chairman of Links Living.

"The telling point will be the next couple of weeks. I'll know more in two to three weeks, and even more in November," Casey said yesterday. "But to stay I would need to do justice to both the football club and my business interests."

Richmond has had a volatile history on and off the field, but particularly in more recent times due to the Tigers being starved of success.

But Casey has stemmed further rebellions this year and brought calm as Richmond's financial and on-field standings dramatically improved.

It is understood that Casey's board and other senior people at Richmond have requested that he remain at the helm, even in a slightly diminished role.

However, the Tigers are addressing the possibility of Casey leaving. They have identified current board members as his successor, including Rob Dalton and Maurice O'Shannassy.

Casey missed six matches this year and has been forced to cut his time at Richmond by more than half.

He spends between 10 and 15 hours a week on football matters, compared to between 30 and 40 in previous years.

In 2003 he spent more than six months acting as the club's general manager, voluntarily, in between chief executives.

"I'm getting the full support from the board but I've told them I won't be able to be at every game and every function," Casey said. "I'm moving into another area of business and I'm not sure how much time it will take.

"If I was able to stay, I feel that I'd have to be right in there, and I don't know whether I'll get that opportunity."

Before the election, Casey informed members he would resign within 12 months if the Tigers did not meet their budgets and demonstrated on-field improvement.

Richmond has since achieved both.

It will reverse a $2.2 million loss last year with a small profit or break-even expected. And it won 10 matches under new coach Terry Wallace, six more than in 2004 when it took the wooden spoon.

Casey was appointed to the Richmond board in a period of instability almost six years ago and immediately took over as president from Leon Daphne.

During his time, the club has had three chief executives and two coaches.

He stuck with Danny Frawley for five years despite just one finals campaign. Casey's biggest fault, by his own admission, was to increase spending on his football department two years ago in a bid to lift the club from its finishing position of 14th in 2002.

"When I do go, I'd like to think I gave Richmond everything I had," Casey said. "Most of us started off here in 2000 as rookies and I'm proud that the club is now set up with one of the most experienced groups in history, from the CEO to the coach to the football manager."

Two years ago when Richmond was in a financial crisis Casey provided a personal guarantee with the ANZ Bank for $1.7m of the Tigers' debt.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16440049%255E36035,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Casey poised to step down
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 03:50:16 AM »
If Casey steps down it'll be interesting who comes in. Rex was all the talk this time last year until we found out he was ineligible. If the board appoints someone and there are only 3 candidates standing for re-election there won't be an election.

With Eddie, Kennett, Collins etc around, a new president will have do deal and compete with some hefty egos.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 03:59:17 AM »
Let's hope he can work his way around it for another year, as i think by then most goals will have been met and the club well on the path to success
 :rollin

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 04:04:07 AM »
If Casey steps down it'll be interesting who comes in. Rex was all the talk this time last year until we found out he was ineligible. If the board appoints someone and there are only 3 candidates standing for re-election there won't be an election.

With Eddie, Kennett, Collins etc around, a new president will have do deal and compete with some hefty egos.

Kennett will have sold or privatised all of Hawthorns assets so we wont have to worry about them ;)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 12:18:40 PM »
Won't PRE be buzzing about this!

I can imagine it now...........Schwab for president!  :help

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 04:12:20 PM »
Business to force Tigers' boss out

Greg Denham

The Australian
August 31, 2005

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Greg Denham - he who said this time last year that Brad Otten$  was a deadset cert to go the Swans in 2005..... ::)

That Greg Denham ;D

Slow news day...

What will be will be  :sleep

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Casey dismisses speculation he'll quit Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 04:41:17 AM »
Casey dismisses speculation he'll quit Tigers
01 September 2005   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

RICHMOND president Clinton Casey last night declared: "I'm not going anywhere."

Casey, who last December defied a boardroom challenge to win in a landslide, has played down speculation he is poised to make a decision on his future within a fortnight.

The Tigers boss is facing increasing business pressures, but is confident he can manage his time sufficiently to remain in power at Punt Rd.

Casey said his fellow board members had urged him to stay -- even if he is forced to spend more time away from the club next season. "They (the board) are willing to fill in the gaps at the games, functions and bits and pieces," he said.

Casey, Richmond president since 1999, has a heavy workload in his roles as managing director of Retirement Services Australia and chairman of Links Living.

"It's pretty common knowledge that we're going to list our company and time for me this year has been more difficult than others," Casey said.

Casey said he would only be forced to make a call on his future at the club if his new shareholders took him to task. "If my new lot of shareholders turn around and say 'Are you running this company or are you running a footy club?' then I will be forced to make a decision," Casey said.

"Everyone knows how busy I'm getting, but no one wants me to go anywhere. Whilst I've got the time to do it and the support to do it, I'll do it."

Casey said the full extent of his business pressures would become clearer next month or in November.

"Nothing's going to happen in the shorter term," he said.

Casey, who said he had missed only four or five games from 2000-2004, was absent for six this year.

"Half of them were for business and I was in Africa for the other half, where I took my family on a trip I was promising them," he said. "At this point in time, it is manageable. If that changes, it will be reviewed."

Richmond will reverse a $2.2 million loss last year with a profit of less than $100,000 or a break-even result.

Tigers premiership hero and media personality Rex Hunt has ruled himself out as a successor if Casey steps down because of business commitments.

"I reckon I'm better value to the Richmond Football Club being MC of the Tommy Hafey Club and being a vocal supporter," Hunt said last night.

"I'm not ready yet to go and head a boardroom, so I reckon I'd be no chance."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,16452669%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 05:50:39 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Greg Denham - he who said this time last year that Brad Otten$  was a deadset cert to go the Swans in 2005..... ::)

That Greg Denham ;D

Slow news day...

What will be will be  :sleep

Spot on again WP  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd