Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 147903 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2018, 05:31:18 PM »
Richmond VFL and development coach Craig McRae provides ‘Roar Vision’ with an insight into the continued impressive development of lively, young Tiger premiership forward Jason Castagna.

His transition from defender to forward

“A couple of years ago he played in the VFL as a small defender. Then he went into the midfield and he ended up a little bit forward. But a couple of years ago he trained the whole pre-season as a forward, and he’s grabbed the opportunity.”

His main areas of focus going into this season

“His offensive stuff’s always been there . . . He can find space really well and he’s a good mark for his size. But I think he’s been more consistent with his pressure this pre-season and into the early parts of the season. I suppose when Daniel Rioli’s out someone has to step up, and I think he’s done that at this stage . . . The ability to get out and behind his opponent is also something he’s been working really hard on. And the snaps and set-shot goalkicking he’s put a lot of time into.”

His brilliant banana goal v Brisbane last Saturday

“Dan Butler kicked one the week before (against Hawthorn), and they work tirelessly on this part of their game with Jack Riewoldt. I think probably more than most in the AFL, they put time into that part of the game at the end of training. And it’s reaping rewards for both of those guys.”

His improved set-shot goalkicking routine

“He was a bit inconsistent last year trying to find what works for him. There was a couple of key elements to it, which I won’t give away, but it’s certainly (about) making that more of a habit . . . Again, he puts so much time it, and he’s getting rewarded for it.”

His pressure-packed play

“Like I said, Daniel’s out of the team, and he’s really stepped up and is probably leading the way at the moment. Certainly, it’s a big part of our game, the defensive part and our forward pressure. One thing that he does is he plays like a key (forward) at times, but with his ability to bring the ball to ground, he’s leading the way for us in that as well.”

His overall start to the year

“He’s had a great start . . . His pre-season stuff was fantastic and he’s carried that into the season.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-04-19/coaches-corner-jason-castagna

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
Except Jack had a shocking banana shot at goal vs Adelaide.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #317 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
Seen him miss them from straight in front kicking a drop punt

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #318 on: April 20, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
I posted the stats a while ago on his accuracy from close range with the drop punt v snap. Snap had a higher success %.  :shh

Trust the process, boys. Jack knows what he's doing  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »
I posted the stats a while ago on his accuracy from close range with the drop punt v snap. Snap had a higher success %.  :shh

Trust the process, boys. Jack knows what he's doing  :shh

Thanks for that and I do remember those stats.

Despite a fair few doubters early on I had full faith in Jack from the start

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
As much as people (probably myself included) expected Georgie to be the amigo who loses his place, think he’s been very clearer our best small forward this season.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2018, 02:37:12 AM »
As much as people (probably myself included) expected Georgie to be the amigo who loses his place, think he’s been very clearer our best small forward this season.

Yes. Has really improved. Looks quicker, and his set shot is better.

Butler on the other hand looks like he's got the premiership blues. Looks slow, can't break any tackles, struggling to find the sticks. I like him a lot but would be happy to give Bolton or Stengle a game or two...

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2018, 05:56:23 AM »
George has the last couple of weeks played really well and his game against Freo was really good. He is using his pace to good effect.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
Wasnt a massive believer. This year he has turned me.
He also has filled out and i am in love with his body shape. Shoulders are huge. I reckon he will become something special
Jeezzz its a good time to be a tiger!

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »
George has turned himself into an exciting, reliable, quality AFL player through hard work and I am thrilled to have him in our team. Last year I considered should we play him as his skills were questionable at best...well he has worked his arse off to become one of the best HF in the comp. :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #325 on: July 15, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »

His improved set-shot goalkicking routine

“He was a bit inconsistent last year trying to find what works for him. There was a couple of key elements to it, which I won’t give away, but it’s certainly (about) making that more of a habit . . . Again, he puts so much time it, and he’s getting rewarded for it.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-04-19/coaches-corner-jason-castagna
Clearly forgot his 'routine' last night  :P.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #326 on: July 15, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Shocking tonight.

Hope the club noticed him joking and hugging GWS players. All well and good if you win and play well. When you lose by 2 points and miss 6 shots at goal you get off the ground asap.
Go Tigers!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #327 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:59 AM »
Shocking tonight.

Hope the club noticed him joking and hugging GWS players. All well and good if you win and play well. When you lose by 2 points and miss 6 shots at goal you get off the ground asap.

exactly
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #328 on: July 15, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Let’s not forget that his kicking was off but he also dropped marks, fumbled the ball and couldn’t pick it up or dropped it when given to him. Probably his worst game skill wise even though he had countless opportunities.  His pressure was way down too as was most in the team.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #329 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »
Lost without Butler..... stays in by virtue of his pace & defensive pressure.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.