Author Topic: Clubs should sign 1 player pre draft  (Read 2355 times)

PuntRdRoar

Clubs should sign 1 player pre draft
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:53:09 AM »
I reckon the draft would be improved if each club were allowed to take 1 junior player before the draft in a sort of form 4 type process. Itll never happen but I reckon it would be fun to see. Gibbs would go to Adelaide, Gumbleton would go to West Coast, Hansen would go to Richmond, Leuenberger would go to Freo etc etc. It would be really interesting to see how a form 4 draft would work out.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
Re: Clubs should sign 1 player pre draft
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:35:16 PM »
I reckon the draft would be improved if each club were allowed to take 1 junior player before the draft in a sort of form 4 type process. Itll never happen but I reckon it would be fun to see. Gibbs would go to Adelaide, Gumbleton would go to West Coast, Hansen would go to Richmond, Leuenberger would go to Freo etc etc. It would be really interesting to see how a form 4 draft would work out.

Or Gibbs might go to Port, or to the team he barracks for (North).
Basically it would mean the draft starts at pick 17.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »
It also fixes the issue of the 'continually middle ranking clubs'...its almost impossible to win a flag if your stranded in the middle of the ladder this way...a middle side from time to time get there hands on a gun which can get them up the ladder. Id also consider replacing the Father & Son rule with this system as well...if clubs want a f/s they could just use up there form 4. Also gives a bunk up with a minimum level of free agency- ie. from the clubs point of view anyway.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
For the ignorant, what's a form 4 player?

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:17:54 PM »
A form 4 was the form they used in the old days to sign 2 or 3 players from interstate...it really doesnt mean anything except that im getting old lol.

Moi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »
A form 4 was the form they used in the old days to sign 2 or 3 players from interstate...it really doesnt mean anything except that im getting old lol.
Joined my club hey!!!
Getting old sux doesn't it lol

Thanks for the explanation  :thumbsup

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »
Moi all I can say is when the players are 10 to 15 years younger than you are then you should know that the good old days are long gone lol...

Moi

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »
Try 30 years here
Gulp  :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »
The only problem I would have with it is it will turn getting the very best kids into an auction and it would give the interstate sides an advantage.

You'd reckon Gumby if he had the choice right now would rather stay in Perth with the Eagles or Freo than play with a bottom Vic side. Same with Gibbs, Sellar and the other non-Vic kids. 

The salary cap would put a limit on the $$$ in any deal somewhat but the length of contract is arbitary. What happens if say Collingwood in 2004 did a Brisbane Bears with Alistair Lynch and offered Lids a 10 year deal to sign their form-4. Would we match it or miss out on the best kid despite finishing last.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 04:19:52 PM »
Young players at the age of 15 or 16 could be asked to nominate a club and maybe when they become eligible they can only go to that specified club via a form 4, otherwise if  the club chooses another player then the ones who miss out on F4 selection go into the normal draft process.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
Young players at the age of 15 or 16 could be asked to nominate a club and maybe when they become eligible they can only go to that specified club via a form 4, otherwise if  the club chooses another player then the ones who miss out on F4 selection go into the normal draft process.

The AFL has introduced something like that in NSW where each of the 16 AFL clubs can take one young player (15-16 y.o.) under their wing. The RFC haven't mentioned yet who we will take.

If you have Australia wide then you'd have to watch out for interstate sides "hiding away" young players. SA has been (in)famous for doing this down the years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »

I'm all for it if we get Hansen  :thumbsup