Author Topic: Itching to play (Sportal)  (Read 1163 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Itching to play (Sportal)
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:06:09 PM »
Itching to play
2:36:44 PM Tue 7 February, 2006
Paul Gough in Ballarat
Sportal for afl.com.au

If ever a player was counting down the days until the start of the 2006 AFL season it is Richmond's David Rodan, who will finally make his comeback from a serious knee injury in the Tigers' intra-club match in Ballarat on Wednesday.

Rodan ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament during a practice match in Morwell last year and amazingly is still yet to play in an official match under new Richmond coach Terry Wallace.

So it's little wonder the 22-year-old, who was a regular in the Tigers' line-up in quickly amassing 60 games in his first three seasons prior to the knee injury, is desperate to make an impression in 2006.

Such was his determination to make it back from the first major injury of his career, Rodan felt he was ready to return in the latter stages of last season before deciding to have the full 12 months off to be ready for this year.

"I was actually ready to come back but the coaching committee and I decided to take it easy, have a really good break and come back for 2006," he told Sportal during the Tigers' AFL community camp in Ballarat.

"It was tempting to get out there (last year) because it had already felt like a long time since I had been on the ground but I am glad I didn't do it because the body is feeling really good now and I am ready to go."

Rodan could only look on last year as the likes of Shane Tuck and Brett Deledio jumped above him in the Tigers' midfield pecking order but he is confident he can quickly regain a place in Richmond's best 22.

"In all my career, including juniors, it was the first major injury I have ever had," Rodan said.

"The first year under Terry I would have loved to get out there and show him what I am all about but I get that chance now."

"I want to play in the midfield and get in there with the likes of Cogs and Tucky and get in there and run and carry the ball and hopefully get up forward as well and kick a goal."

"We've had a couple of little scratch matches so far and I have been playing in the midfield so I am lucky the coaches have got the confidence in me to start me in there and hopefully I can do what they think I can do."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=244761

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Itching to play (Sportal)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »
"I want to play in the midfield and get in there with the likes of Cogs and Tucky and get in there and run and carry the ball and hopefully get up forward as well and kick a goal."

"We've had a couple of little scratch matches so far and I have been playing in the midfield so I am lucky the coaches have got the confidence in me to start me in there and hopefully I can do what they think I can do."

Hope Rodan has better luck this year as at training he is thriving under Wallace like he did last year before doing his knee.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Itching to play (Sportal)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to big things from the Roda and expect him to thrive under TW.  Totally disregard the Rodan of old under spud, he was a player who wanted to make things happen but had no support from a conservative game plan and conservative teamates hence he would get caught and have no-where to run as the support was non existent.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers excited over Rodan's return (The Age)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 02:21:58 AM »
Tigers excited over Rodan's return
The Age
February 25, 2006

Richmond coach Terry Wallace is relishing the prospect of finally being able to throw nuggety on-baller David Rodan into the Tigers' midfield.

Rodan, the AFL's shortest man, will today make his return to top-level football in Richmond's NAB Cup match against Hawthorn at Telstra Dome.

It will be one day short of a year since he last played - when he injured his knee in a practice match against Essendon, in what was just Wallace's second game in charge of the club.

"It will be great, I really only saw him for a couple of games prior to doing his knee," Wallace said. "We were really excited with what we saw at the start of last year. It's been a long wait and we just look forward to him getting back.

"He'll be a bit nervous and it might take him a little bit to find the footy but I'm sure he'll acquit himself quite well."

Wallace said the 22-year-old, 171-centimetre on-baller had lost none of his explosive speed and would be a key member of Richmond's midfield this year.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/02/24/1140670264260.html