Author Topic: Richmond vs Collingwood - Round 2  (Read 19142 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Collingwood - Round 2
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
sounds like someone is making excuses......
:lol

Tigermonk

« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
halftime supporters

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:40 PM »
1 other thing that really made me think where we are at, Any Tiger supporter who was able to go to the game & didnot show up is a bloody disgrace, The Tiger supporters were very few last night of just over 57,000+ just going off the past  years going to these games is the lowest crowd. The Tiger army l couldnot even hear. We are a club with non-game football supporters

It was their gate, stuff em

Correct. And IIRC it was Collingwood who didn't want to enter into a shared gate arrangement.

So I applaud those who stayed at home  :clapping

are you serious wanting supporters to stay home when the club needs support at games. 57k & l swear 47 were them. pathetic

Don't worry about the tiger fans not turning up

Pies go on and on about having 70k members yet all they got to their 1st home game of the season was a crowd of just on 58k

So if 47k of them last were pies supporters where were their remaining 23k members?

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:27 AM »
Pets aren't allowed entry to the G
Although a few ferals find there way in

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
I thought Batch, Rance and Concs played good games.  I saw a different kind of defensive approach in this game.  We didn't get flogged except that patch where we let them kick a spurt of goals.  Barring that and some of our own yips around goal we were right in it.  Was particularly rapt with Batch and Rance.  We are running into form, we get to whip these bastards later in the year no sweat, stop sookin.
Lots of people name their swords......

10 FLAGS

« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
Richmond supporters have an obligation to 1) buy a membership or 2) attend home games. We do not have an obligation to stick money into collingwoods, carltons or essendons coffers by attending their home game. Stuff em. This is war. ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Richmond supporters have an obligation to 1) buy a membership or 2) attend home games. We do not have an obligation to stick money into collingwoods, carltons or essendons coffers by attending their home game. Stuff em. This is war. ;D

This is VPL stuff Flagman. :lol :rollin :lol

Gigantor

« Reply #397 on: April 09, 2012, 12:08:28 PM »
I personally think our chaps didnt turn up..our infinite wise football club pumped up our masses to a thundering crescendo for the first game and once the tyre was deflated ,our supporters  ran off to play hooky

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
the media and the supporters themselves, particularly those on the interweb forums pumped us, not the club.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #399 on: April 09, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
Al you dont think that anouncing the re appointment of hardwick and re signing of Lids in the week or so prior to the first game added to the hype?.In hindsight would it have been better to keep both those announcements under our hats for maybe a week or so.....as i said in hindsight its easy to say this.
i mention this because if my memory serves me last year prior to the first game when we had our big fundraiser i think quite a few other club officials remarked that it seemed poor timing by richmond to do this only days from the first game

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #400 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:33 PM »
it may have added to the hype, yeah, but it didnt really send a message about how good we would be. It was actually smart marketing in getting memberships.

Most of the high expectations came from the media, and forum posters believing their own BS about how good we are, but it was really just wishfull thinking
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #401 on: April 09, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
sure was wishfull thinking....i guess being sat upon for so many years ,we will cling to even the smallest bit of hope and play it for all its worth...anyway enough of this now..the first game is now long gone

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond - Not there yet (afl site)
« Reply #402 on: April 10, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
Not there yet
By Peter Ryan
afl.com.au
Tue 10 Apr, 2012

WHEN Richmond goes to sleep, it sleeps like a log.

Saturday night's Collingwood-Richmond game was decided in eight minutes of Tiger slumber.

Fifteen Collingwood players touched the ball in that period, compared to seven Tigers.

The Magpies had 18 kicks to Richmond's two, six inside 50s to none, two tackles to none, 13 contested possessions to four, five centre clearances to one.

In response, the Tigers had five handballs compared to Collingwood's two. Three of those handballs were made under such serious pressure they were rendered ineffective.

During those eight minutes, Collingwood kicked five goals to zero.

Damien Hardwick admitted after the game he nearly took the 'break glass in case of emergency' option as his frustration built inside the coaches box.

What happened?

It would be easy to say Collingwood just switched it on, but that would be a simple answer.

It wasn't kicking either: the Tigers only had two kicks during the period.

To be honest, arguing that Richmond can't kick is old-fashioned thinking.

What hurt Richmond were multiple defensive errors and an inability to win contests.

That's not knocking Richmond. They try their heart out under Hardwick.

It's just that such errors are often what separates the 'trying to be good' teams from the 'good' teams.

Dale Thomas, Travis Cloke and Alex Fasolo made them pay for mistakes on the scoreboard.

Examining the first goal after half-time in isolation proves the point. Darren Jolly tapped the ball into space but a Richmond player, Shaun Grigg, was first to arrive.

Then in 14 seconds a series of mistakes cost the Tigers.

Mistake one: His teammate, second-gamer Brandon Ellis, tried to line up Thomas to bump him but the Collingwood star evaded contact. Ellis had run past the contest and left both Thomas and his opponent Steele Sidebottom active in space.

Mistake two: Chris Newman overcommitted in his effort to help Grigg, following in the tackler Jarryd Blair off the line and creating space in between the centre and the 50-metre line.

Mistake three: The situation was dangerous only if Grigg released the ball out wide. That is exactly what he did. He did not protect the ball or keep it locked in. He made 'a Hail Mary handball' into space and gave his opponent Thomas a chance to get back into the action.

Mistake four: Thomas pounced on the loose ball, broke a Newman tackle and bounded through the centre to kick a long goal.

No wonder Australian hockey coach Ric Charlesworth says every goal conceded by teams he coaches comes about because the team makes five consecutive mistakes.

No wonder defence is an ethos most coaches espouse.

Good teams have senior players in the middle that hit back hard immediately in such circumstances.

Collingwood's starting four for the second bounce, however, had an average of 166 games experience compared to the Tigers' 88 games and an average age of 26 years and 213 days compared to Richmond's 25 years and 138 days.

The experienced Magpies surged before the inexperienced Tigers hit back.

A second clearance that led to goal number two came because 24-year-old Thomas (185cm and 86kg) was left untouched at the stoppage after hunting the ball hard and the just turned 22-year-old Cotchin (185cm and 83kg), preoccupied with Luke Ball, missed a tackle.

The rest of the onslaught followed a similar pattern to the first. Collingwood just won contest after contest after contest. Richmond did not have a senior player or experienced superstar to change the flow.

After eight minutes of it, the Magpies were eight goals up.

Several alarms went off but Richmond could not find the off button.

Cotchin said post-game the young team needed to get better at making decisions quicker in such circumstances: "We just needed to come up with a strategy," he said. "We made a move I think five or six minutes into it which helped us steady the flow."

Once the move was made Richmond outscored Collingwood eight points to zero in the next eight minutes.

It started winning contests - 10 contested possessions to seven, 17 kicks each, 21 handballs to 16, six inside 50s to two.

The game became an even contest again. But the game was over.

"That was the disappointing thing," said Hardwick after the game. "Our good players, the players we expect to lead from the front, just fell a little bit short in that area in that period of the game and effectively cost us the game."

In the opening round the same sleeplessness occurred as Carlton took over at the five-minute mark of the last quarter.

When the game was up for grabs between the five and 10-minute mark of that quarter, the Blues had eight contested possessions to Richmond's three.

With a goal the difference during that time, the Blues won a fierce battle for the ball at Richmond's half-forward line. Carlton rushed the ball forward and kicked a goal.

Missed tackles again cost the Tigers a minute later as the Blues' Chris Yarran found a path around the boundary line (or over the fence depending on which team you were barracking for) to kick a brilliant goal. This came after Carlton was too strong in the middle at the clearance.

The Tigers hardly made a mistake (just one ineffective kick and one ineffective handball) during the five-minute period when the game was up for grabs but they could not win the ball when it was there to be won.

As confidence grew, Carlton kicked five goals to one from the 10 minute mark until the siren and won 28 contested possessions to Richmond's 16 in the same period. Carlton had 15 players win a contested possession whereas Richmond had 11.

It's what makes coaching tough. Hardwick knows improvement is happening. He understands what he means when he talks of the difference more mature, bigger bodies can make.

But for five or 10 minutes each week we are reminded that while the Tigers are improving, they are just not there yet.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132655/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #403 on: April 10, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
It's consecutive goals that kill us. Runs ons by the opposition.

The filth kicked 6 of the last 7 in round 1.

The scums kicked 7 in a row if you include the two before half time to the 5 mentioned goals in the first 8 minutes of the third.

For those with long memories even the toffs kicked 7 goals to one in the third quarter in our round 20 match last year.

If we can eradicate this trend it helps us stay in games longer and hopefully pinch and if races for 8th spot are anything to go by % will be all the more important considering Nought kicked the sweep against the Giants and Essendon are playing the Suns this week who they beat by 139 points last year. :help

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #404 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
1 other thing that really made me think where we are at, Any Tiger supporter who was able to go to the game & didnot show up is a bloody disgrace, The Tiger supporters were very few last night of just over 57,000+ just going off the past  years going to these games is the lowest crowd. The Tiger army l couldnot even hear. We are a club with non-game football supporters

It was their gate, stuff em

Correct. And IIRC it was Collingwood who didn't want to enter into a shared gate arrangement.

So I applaud those who stayed at home  :clapping

are you serious wanting supporters to stay home when the club needs support at games. 57k & l swear 47 were them. pathetic

Don't worry about the tiger fans not turning up

Pies go on and on about having 70k members yet all they got to their 1st home game of the season was a crowd of just on 58k

So if 47k of them last were pies supporters where were their remaining 23k members?

:rollin
I was not at the game on Saturday. I opted to upgrade my membership to reserved seat this season at the expense of the 'away' games.

I had offers from a few mates and my brother (all Collingwood fans) to go in with them, but decided against because it would literally be putting money into Collingwood.

Watched the game at home enjoying some CC and Cola.  ;D

Just putting it out there, because I think a few would be in the same boat as myself.