Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 454819 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2610 on: June 22, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »
Sometimes the most innocuous blows can give you concussion. Some people on this forum are just plain ignorant on what this is all about.

Softness has NOTHING to do with it.

If the guy was jumping up and down and writhing in agony because someone slapped him, that would be "soft".

Just get your medical facts correct before you all make ridiculous comments.
What medical facts are there Doc?
Don't use your position as a doctor to assume you know about every collision that happens the the footy field.
All I said it looked soft, and it does. Maybe we should do a poll as you need to feel more comfortable with people backing your opinion.   :thumbsup
"Concussion is a brain injury and is defined as a complex physiological process affecting the brain, induced by biomechanical forces. Concussion may be caused by either a direct or indirect blow to the head, face, neck or body causing an impulsive force transmitted to the head."
http://sma.org.au/resources-advice/concussion/

In other words you don't need a direct blow. You only need to have the force transmitted to the head which is what happened to Ben. Now big tone, I don't know what you do for a living, but I would hesitate to say you know a lot more than I do about your area of work. So don't pretend you know anything about neurology and neuroscience because you clearly do not. I am not using my position here to do anything but just state facts.
Concussion is still an area where we a increasing our knowledge. What we don't need is armchair experts saying players are "soft" when all they can see is a distorted view through a TV lens that does not give you a 360 degree view of the incident. Sorry but that is just bulldust.
Thanks for your definition of concussion. You don't need to be a doctor to google that but thanks for letting us all know again that you are a doctor. I'm sure your family are really proud of you but on here you are just another poster with an opinion.

When I asked for facts I meant regarding the slight bump that Griff took. Not a definition on what it was and how you can get it.

What I will say as an armchair expert, I'm allowed to think someone is soft if I see it that way. I don't need you because you have a degree telling me what I see and don't see. I have said I think Biff is soft basically from day one of seeing him and watching him again go off on the weekend from what looked like an innocuous bump didn't change my mind. He missed last week with something else, but after 1 week he is right to play again.
I don't just think he is a bit soft  because he has missed more games than he has played since being at the footy club but the way he plays. I feel he lacks desperation at the footy and at the man with the footy. When he hasn't got the footy and that's a lot, he is basically a liability to our side.
IMO he is a highlights package, he generally takes a nice mark a game and sometimes kicks a goal but he doesn't do much else to help the team. We have too many guys that are just not prepared to pay the price of what it takes to make us a great team again.
If I had my way I'd get rid of Biff and TV but if I had to keep one I'd keep TV. I see more in him than I see in Biff that would contribute to us being a better side. He is not as flashy but he hits the scoreboard and the last time I checked that is the name of the game.
Anyway I hope Griff is recovering well but I also hope he misses this week so we can see McBean.
You can tell SFA from the television set bt.  How many games have you gone to this year if you don't mind me asking?  Unless you have been going you have no idea how hard any of our players work off the ball.  If you saw how hard Tyrone worked against Geelong you would not be wanting him back in the team at all. Griff kills him for work rate and one of the biggest problems with our side (and there are many) is that they just don't work hard enough.  I believe this is one of McBeans biggest issues. However, I agree I'd rather he played this week just for the change.

One thing we both agree on though is that both Griff and Tyrone will be upgraded with Reece McKenzie, at least as a forward.  Would love them to play both Reece and McBean this week. :thumbsup
I go every Melbourne game and usually do a couple of interstate trips, mostly to Perth or Adeliade. With a wife that works at the AFL level 2 on the wing is a pretty good vantage point to watch footy. Sometimes behind the glass by half time the way we go mostly these days.  :cheers
I do watch a lot of footy and not just the Tigers, I don't rely on stats to form an opinion and I recon I can see something that others may not.
From day one, and WP can attest to this I haven't like the way Ellis plays, he gets heaps of footy but just isn't IMO a player that will take a club to where it wants to go.. I feel that way about Griff and even Astbury too.
But I do like what I see of Dea, he has improved his kicking and decision making, just like Rance did, is a terrific mark and spoil, is desperate and is as hard as a cats head. Some don't like Grimes but I think he is a real player and love the way Vlastuin goes about it. I love that Jack doesn't carry on like a twobob watch anymore when he kicks a goal and I think Morris is definitely in our best 22 as a lockdown small backman. Since he has been at the club not many small forwards have gotten a hold of us. We all know he isn't skillful, he doesn't get much footy but if he played on Thomas last week he doesn't kick 5 goals.
I see something in George in the twos and think McBean is a natural lead, mark forward. I'd be interested to know how many games of two's footy you have seen to say McBean plays small. Sure he is good at ground level but he is still a very good marking forward. He is definitely not a big pack mark but neither is your man Griff. Even Dunstall wasn't a big pack mark.
I was massive on us taking Jeff Gartlett about the middle of last year even before Carlton decided to get rid of him.
Watching Corey Ellis and Nathan Drummond the other day I'm not afraid to say i didn't see anything that got me excited about how they may turn out, but I didn't see anything I thought that showed they wouldn't.
I'm not sure what I see is the same as everyone else but it's what I see. Only time proves us right or wrong on these opinions but without sounding to cocky I'd back myself in most times when it comes to footy.  :thumbsup
WOWEE talk about tickets on oneself. The great guru who sees all, the guru who backs in the softest of the soft in Vickery but cant see it. the bloke who has  one standard for players he likes and a differing one for others.   Unbelievable the dribble some sprout. Why are so many people so full of themselves.
Welcome back Claw.
Still sore about me calling you out on Rance I see.  :shh
On what I wrote it was more about saying what I see, it does sound cocky and I did say in my post it was but I think by naming players and what I think about them opens me up for criticism but I'm ok with that. You do the same and I don't agree with much you say but at least you put yourself out there. Some spineless jellyfish on here post under different names to avoid being called out.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2611 on: June 22, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
Griff was the only ruckman to match / nullify NickNat in the centre bounces , it was too late  but at least when he was in the centre bounces the opposition didn't just have a free run- good effort really

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2612 on: June 22, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
Griff was the only ruckman to match / nullify NickNat in the centre bounces , it was too late  but at least when he was in the centre bounces the opposition didn't just have a free run- good effort really

Agreed, thought he could've been moved earlier.
Ivvy looks broken again
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2613 on: June 23, 2015, 07:33:16 PM »
Sometimes the most innocuous blows can give you concussion. Some people on this forum are just plain ignorant on what this is all about.

Softness has NOTHING to do with it.

If the guy was jumping up and down and writhing in agony because someone slapped him, that would be "soft".

Just get your medical facts correct before you all make ridiculous comments.
What medical facts are there Doc?
Don't use your position as a doctor to assume you know about every collision that happens the the footy field.
All I said it looked soft, and it does. Maybe we should do a poll as you need to feel more comfortable with people backing your opinion.   :thumbsup
"Concussion is a brain injury and is defined as a complex physiological process affecting the brain, induced by biomechanical forces. Concussion may be caused by either a direct or indirect blow to the head, face, neck or body causing an impulsive force transmitted to the head."
http://sma.org.au/resources-advice/concussion/

In other words you don't need a direct blow. You only need to have the force transmitted to the head which is what happened to Ben. Now big tone, I don't know what you do for a living, but I would hesitate to say you know a lot more than I do about your area of work. So don't pretend you know anything about neurology and neuroscience because you clearly do not. I am not using my position here to do anything but just state facts.
Concussion is still an area where we a increasing our knowledge. What we don't need is armchair experts saying players are "soft" when all they can see is a distorted view through a TV lens that does not give you a 360 degree view of the incident. Sorry but that is just bulldust.
Thanks for your definition of concussion. You don't need to be a doctor to google that but thanks for letting us all know again that you are a doctor. I'm sure your family are really proud of you but on here you are just another poster with an opinion.

When I asked for facts I meant regarding the slight bump that Griff took. Not a definition on what it was and how you can get it.

What I will say as an armchair expert, I'm allowed to think someone is soft if I see it that way. I don't need you because you have a degree telling me what I see and don't see. I have said I think Biff is soft basically from day one of seeing him and watching him again go off on the weekend from what looked like an innocuous bump didn't change my mind. He missed last week with something else, but after 1 week he is right to play again.
I don't just think he is a bit soft  because he has missed more games than he has played since being at the footy club but the way he plays. I feel he lacks desperation at the footy and at the man with the footy. When he hasn't got the footy and that's a lot, he is basically a liability to our side.
IMO he is a highlights package, he generally takes a nice mark a game and sometimes kicks a goal but he doesn't do much else to help the team. We have too many guys that are just not prepared to pay the price of what it takes to make us a great team again.
If I had my way I'd get rid of Biff and TV but if I had to keep one I'd keep TV. I see more in him than I see in Biff that would contribute to us being a better side. He is not as flashy but he hits the scoreboard and the last time I checked that is the name of the game.
Anyway I hope Griff is recovering well but I also hope he misses this week so we can see McBean.
You can tell SFA from the television set bt.  How many games have you gone to this year if you don't mind me asking?  Unless you have been going you have no idea how hard any of our players work off the ball.  If you saw how hard Tyrone worked against Geelong you would not be wanting him back in the team at all. Griff kills him for work rate and one of the biggest problems with our side (and there are many) is that they just don't work hard enough.  I believe this is one of McBeans biggest issues. However, I agree I'd rather he played this week just for the change.

One thing we both agree on though is that both Griff and Tyrone will be upgraded with Reece McKenzie, at least as a forward.  Would love them to play both Reece and McBean this week. :thumbsup
I go every Melbourne game and usually do a couple of interstate trips, mostly to Perth or Adeliade. With a wife that works at the AFL level 2 on the wing is a pretty good vantage point to watch footy. Sometimes behind the glass by half time the way we go mostly these days.  :cheers
I do watch a lot of footy and not just the Tigers, I don't rely on stats to form an opinion and I recon I can see something that others may not.
From day one, and WP can attest to this I haven't like the way Ellis plays, he gets heaps of footy but just isn't IMO a player that will take a club to where it wants to go.. I feel that way about Griff and even Astbury too.
But I do like what I see of Dea, he has improved his kicking and decision making, just like Rance did, is a terrific mark and spoil, is desperate and is as hard as a cats head. Some don't like Grimes but I think he is a real player and love the way Vlastuin goes about it. I love that Jack doesn't carry on like a twobob watch anymore when he kicks a goal and I think Morris is definitely in our best 22 as a lockdown small backman. Since he has been at the club not many small forwards have gotten a hold of us. We all know he isn't skillful, he doesn't get much footy but if he played on Thomas last week he doesn't kick 5 goals.
I see something in George in the twos and think McBean is a natural lead, mark forward. I'd be interested to know how many games of two's footy you have seen to say McBean plays small. Sure he is good at ground level but he is still a very good marking forward. He is definitely not a big pack mark but neither is your man Griff. Even Dunstall wasn't a big pack mark.
I was massive on us taking Jeff Gartlett about the middle of last year even before Carlton decided to get rid of him.
Watching Corey Ellis and Nathan Drummond the other day I'm not afraid to say i didn't see anything that got me excited about how they may turn out, but I didn't see anything I thought that showed they wouldn't.
I'm not sure what I see is the same as everyone else but it's what I see. Only time proves us right or wrong on these opinions but without sounding to cocky I'd back myself in most times when it comes to footy.  :thumbsup
WOWEE talk about tickets on oneself. The great guru who sees all, the guru who backs in the softest of the soft in Vickery but cant see it. the bloke who has  one standard for players he likes and a differing one for others.   Unbelievable the dribble some sprout. Why are so many people so full of themselves.
Welcome back Claw.
Still sore about me calling you out on Rance I see.  :shh
On what I wrote it was more about saying what I see, it does sound cocky and I did say in my post it was but I think by naming players and what I think about them opens me up for criticism but I'm ok with that. You do the same and I don't agree with much you say but at least you put yourself out there. Some spineless jellyfish on here post under different names to avoid being called out.
Never left BT. Just refuse to be around here  as much  putting up with those spineless jellyfish as you put it.
Sore about Rance??  na just thought id return fire.If you dish it out you should expect a bit back. Like you i write about what i see. I went thru the whole Rance thread and there was just one comment i regret, i made hundreds of them. I stand by what i have said about him, in fact  to big note myself i reckon ive been almost totally right as ive gone along.
Any way you still over rate him and think him  the best defender in the league. Me  i still have some  issues with him.

It is good to see someone else willing to put it out there regardless of the nuffies. At the end of the day all we post is opinions, people can agree or disagree who gives a toss they can like it or lump it.
Reckon with me ONLY posting once a month or so, someone else will become the new target. Good luck with that.
Any way happy posting i will keep an eye out for your posts when im in here. I may think you get plenty wrong  but you at least put it all on the line.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2614 on: June 23, 2015, 08:25:33 PM »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2615 on: June 23, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
I noticed that too, why the bleedin heck didn't we leave him in the ruck then  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2616 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2617 on: June 23, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »
A match made in heaven....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2618 on: June 25, 2015, 01:48:32 AM »
I went thru the whole Rance thread and there was just one comment i regret,

I'd love to know what it was that you admit to getting wrong

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2619 on: June 25, 2015, 06:24:56 AM »
I went thru the whole Rance thread and there was just one comment i regret,

I'd love to know what it was that you admit to getting wrong

That he wouldn't jump into the sack with big tone unless he conceded Rance was a hack  ;D
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2620 on: June 27, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »
What did we think of Ben's game last night?
Another poor game IMO. I don't even remember seeing him to be honest. His last 2 weeks have been even below his moderate standards.
He just doesn't seem to be able to get involved enough.
In his last 7 games he averages less than a goal a game and only touches the pill 10 times a game.
He has averaged 3 marks a game and under 2 tackles a game also.

Is he doing enough?
People criticize Vickery and he isn't half the athlete than Ben is but seems to get involved in games more and for longer. 
Are we better off playing someone smaller and more agile if we continue to let teams have an extra backman in our forward line?

I'm happy to admit I don't think much of Griff but I don't think anyone can defend his lack of output of late.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2621 on: June 27, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
Very average last night. But he is not as versatile and nimble as Vickery and Jack and he struggled with the conditions. He did try but he couldn't get anything going.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2622 on: June 27, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
Was moved to the wing to change things up which opened up the forward line. Played his role :clapping

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2623 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »
His form has tailed off the last two weeks but the third tall exposed Sydney's lack of big bodied defenders thus leaving Jack on Rampe for much of the game. The third tall option is working well though and that has been one of the factors that has turned our season around.

I'd give him another go or two and if he struggles could be time for McBean for a block of matches.

We have got through Vickery's struggles. We'll get through Griff's.

We'll be better for it. :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2624 on: June 27, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Some might want to watch the game again.

Griff played on Reid for a lot of the night. Anyone remember seeing Reid at all? Jack was able to dominate because Griff took Reid away from him leaving only Grundy and Rampe to go with Jack. Did the team thing.
Go Tigers!