Author Topic: Richmond recruiting boss Matt Clarke is confident Bolton can play Round 1 (HS)  (Read 5855 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond recruiting boss Matt Clarke is confident Shai Bolton can play for the Tigers in Round 1

Michael Warner,
Herald Sun
November 26, 2016

RICHMOND cast aside a tumultuous week by adding another blistering small forward to its ranks.

The Tigers surrendered their first-round pick in a trade for Dion Prestia but claimed South Fremantle speedster Shai Bolton at pick 29.

Bolton caught the eye with a bag of seven goals in the WAFL late this season.

New Tigers recruiting boss Matt Clarke said the prospect of Bolton and Daniel Rioli roaming the forward line in tandem was mouthwatering.

“It changes our dynamic and we think Shane Edwards is going to continue to do that, too,” Clarke said.

“Daniel is more an aerobic beast, whereas Shai is going to play a bit closer to goal.

“His agility is amazing and he likes to jump on heads, but he probably won’t be allowed to do that. There are probably elements of Steven Motlop in what he can do - that ground ball twist and turn type of thing.”

Asked if he could play Round 1, Clarke said: “Yeah, I think he could. One of our guys is pretty confident he can. You don’t want to put any pressure on him but you don’t want to hold them back at all either.

“One thing about the coach (Damien Hardwick) is, if he thinks they are ready to go he’ll play them.”

The Tigers took big-bodied SANFL midfielder Jack Graham at pick 53 and Murray Bushrangers tall defender Ryan Garthwaite with their final selection (72).

Francis said Graham, this year’s Larke Medallist as best player in the national championships, could have an immediate impact at senior level.

“He’s a good character kid and a good leader,” he said.

Clarke said Garthwaite, likened to Hawks defender James Frawley, needed to work on his kicking technique but was rarely beaten one-on-one.

“He’s never going to be an elite kick by any stretch, but if we can get him to be a competent, safe kick at AFL level it will be good because he can really play on the big boys and compete,” Clarke said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-recruiting-boss-matt-clarke-is-confident-shai-bolton-can-play-for-the-tigers-in-round-1/news-story/3f6b64e4927205f5a043f103b0e97f9e

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Hardwick thinking a player is ready isn't always aligned with when that player is actually ready. Ask Anthony Miles
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline bigtigercasey

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
    • Peter Casey
I wonder whose position he would take? Shed? Lloyd? Or is he our Lids replacement?
TFT Ag MRC

tony_montana

why wont he be allowed?

To flamboyant for our vanilla/sterile style of footy?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Like how Clarke basically wrote off Garthwaite ever being a great kick before he's even arrived at the club.....that's usually our job....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Groundhog Day at the asylum.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Like how Clarke basically wrote off Garthwaite ever being a great kick before he's even arrived at the club.....that's usually our job....

Probably has inadvertently destroyed the kids confidence #lockerroomanxiety

At least Collingwood nursed James Manson to a premiership.

Lmao

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hardwick thinking a player is ready isn't always aligned with when that player is actually ready. Ask Anthony Miles
Ask most of the kids on the list. Only time hes given em a decent go is when he been dragged kicking and screaming and forced to play em.

Ah the elephant in the room just gets bigger.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Shai Bolton in the back pocket round 1 will release Short to the forward line  :clapping
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
I just really hope that the boys natural ability and flair are not smashed out of him by the Richmond so called development program.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I just really hope that the boys natural ability and flair are not smashed out of him by the Richmond so called development program.
Very different coaches around now so he has a chance. Hardwick isn't hands on with their development so they have a chance.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Very different coaches around now so he has a chance. Hardwick isn't hands on with their development so they have a chance.
Stop kidding yourself YBB.
It's Halfwits game plan regardless of who holds the whiteboard.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The game plan will be very different in 2017. Wait and see. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
The game plan will be very different in 2017. Wait and see. :shh
Well let's hope so...