Author Topic: Bennell, McKenzie & Matera.  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Bennell, McKenzie & Matera.
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »
So looks like they're on the outer up at GC and may not be around next year .... worth a crack?

Bennell's obviously a bit of an idiot and a soft lazy flanker which we have too many of as it is but none even 1/10th as talented as him. Matera would fill a desperate need. McKenzie would be handy if Rance walks....even he doesn't, with Chaplin not getting any younger and not much good anyway, Grimes held together with tape , Elton & Astbury still unproven and Batchelor a hack and not really KPD, we still need more key position depth down back. My main concern is that reports are these blokes can't handle Rocket's tough love and much preferred Ballcupper McKenna's mollycoddling....that kind of attitude is the last thing we need more of, they'd probably love it if Cuddles Hardwick was still here but hopefuly he won't be and the next coach will demand far higher standards....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Bennell, McKenzie & Matera.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
Taylor made for RIchmond going by that last paragraph.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Would still have McKenzie but if we lost Rance we'd have to go after a bigger defender surely?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
Would still have McKenzie but if we lost Rance we'd have to go after a bigger defender surely?

Yes he wouldn't be like for like replacement but we need more options regardless. Looks like we're grooming Elton to take the opposition key forward  but he seems more of a stopper at this stage - like a bigger version of Thursfield - than a rebounder so we'd probably have to split the roles Rance did between him & someone like McKenzie. That's presuming Elton makes the grade of course. I'd say we'd also be looking for KPD's and Rance types via the draft but they likely wouldn't be ready for a few years unless we found a freak....look how long it took Rance to even look like he belonged at AFL level...but anyway the short answer is yes we should be looking for an experienced bigger defender as well.....

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:10:50 PM »
Put them in a good environment and like whoa these kids could thrive , GC  :lol put TV and Dea on the table and get it done Blair  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
Taylor made for RIchmond going by that last paragraph.

:clapping
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »
Been a fan of McKenzie since he went as a 17 y/o to GC. Is more of a rebounder than a stopper, can play loose, third man up, and has a long, ripping left boot to go to and set up out of defence.

I don't think we're good enough to get the most out of Bennell, Matera would fill a need but McKenzie would be my pick of the bunch. Honestly think a straight trade for Vickery could be done (and maybe an end/early round pick swap) if he truly were on the table at season's end since I don't think Eade is too impressed with Smith in the ruck at the moment.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
Put them in a good environment and like whoa these kids could thrive , GC  :lol put TV and Dea on the table and get it done Blair  :clapping

The only thing I want to see on the table when Blair is around is his letter of termination
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »

The only thing I want to see on the table when Blair is around is his letter of termination

Agreed.

Answers to nobody but has plenty to answer for to plenty of people. :help

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »

That won't be happening any time soon , when you ve got scalps like Maric houli and miles on your belt that's not a bad CV.  :shh..and don't tell me about Hampson , even hawthorn stuffed up once with dayle garlett
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »

That won't be happening any time soon , when you ve got scalps like Maric houli and miles on your belt that's not a bad CV.  :shh..and don't tell me about Hampson , even hawthorn stuffed up once with dayle garlett

Absolutely Bojo.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Hawthorn are current back to back premiers last time I checked.

It's like your Pee Wee Herman and your telling Mike Tyson hey you're convicted felon and no longer heavyweight champ. It might be true but doesn't mean its the right. :help

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 11:42:48 PM »
Put them in a good environment and like whoa these kids could thrive

Ok, so where do you suggest?

It would be unfair on these "kids" to bring them to Richmond.

You must be thinking Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong etc if you really want them to "thrive" WHOA

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
how sad, all three would walk into best XVIII

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
I'm not sure why we wouldn't target all 3 if available. There was a mutiny when we didn't pick up Garlett from Carlton. I'm sure if Melbourne picked up Bennell, something similar would occur on this firum
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
From the low down on bigfooty, Benell sounds like bad news, this is not his first offense. People are comparing him to Fevola. I'm not sure were so good with drunks. Were probably better to steer clear of him.