Author Topic: Malthouse on Richmond under Wallace  (Read 3158 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Malthouse on Richmond under Wallace
« on: February 15, 2005, 03:58:16 AM »
Malthouse said he expected Richmond to play more like the Western Bulldogs of the late 1990s than the Tigers side of recent years.

The arrival of former Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace at Punt Road has led to the Tigers adopting a gritty gameplan.

"We expect them to play the way Footscray (Western Bulldogs) played several years ago," Malthouse said.

"What we have observed at training and in their practice matches is that they're trained along the same lines as how Footscray played.

"It's just different people in a different uniform playing the same way."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12246537%255E2722,00.html

Given our high draft picks, the list Wallace will have in a year or two  should turn out  be far more talented than the one he inherited at the Dogs where the same players in that "year of the dog" doco ended up the following year in a PF. You would also reckon he would've modified some things from his Bulldogs stint given the time he spent in the media and watching U18's footy. Terry himself said he has more talls at his disposal at Richmond. More like "better people in a better uniform playing a similar way"  8)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Malthouse on Richmond under Wallace
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 11:12:32 AM »
Funny bloke that Mick Malthouse :help :help

Nervous perhaps :cheers :cheers

I wonder if the Pies will change the way they play this season ??? You know chipping it all over the place :sleep
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 11:35:10 AM »
Malthouse is one coach I really can't stand.  Always spinning crap and trying to be phylisophical with every sentence.......I wonder how his players listen to him.  And always using injuries as an excuse - always.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 04:36:08 PM »
Malthouse said he expected Richmond to play more like the Western Bulldogs of the late 1990s than the Tigers side of recent years.

The arrival of former Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace at Punt Road has led to the Tigers adopting a gritty gameplan.

"We expect them to play the way Footscray (Western Bulldogs) played several years ago," Malthouse said.

"What we have observed at training and in their practice matches is that they're trained along the same lines as how Footscray played.

"It's just different people in a different uniform playing the same way."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12246537%255E2722,00.html

Given our high draft picks, the list Wallace will have in a year or two  should turn out  be far more talented than the one he inherited at the Dogs where the same players in that "year of the dog" doco ended up the following year in a PF. You would also reckon he would've modified some things from his Bulldogs stint given the time he spent in the media and watching U18's footy. Terry himself said he has more talls at his disposal at Richmond. More like "better people in a better uniform playing a similar way"  8)

Typical strategy from Malthouse, trying to hose down and blunt the excitment around our club by making nothing of Wallaces inclusion into the Richmond footy club. He's seen it all before has he, We're Footscray in new uniforms are we, He's been down to training and seen nothing new hey. All these types of statements are designed to blunten our enthusiasm and to make us feel like there is nothing special happening with our club. Well I hope wallaces same old, same old, kicks your Faarrkkeenn ar$es Malthouse on friday night  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 04:39:20 PM by Rodgerramjet »
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »
I can imagine if the shoe was on the other foot TW would be saying....Collingwood?? Same crap team as last year, same crap President same crap gameplan and Buckley to start the season on the injury list. With all that taken into account I expect Collingwood to be playing like Collingwood of the 90's just different people in the same uniform.  ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 08:42:06 AM »
LOl - well said Tiga :thumbsup :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »
Malthouse blames greedy Tigers
19 February 2005   
Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse accused counterpart Terry Wallace of being greedy last night after the Magpies' stunning seven-point win in the opening match of the Wizard Cup.

The Tigers led by 25 points early in the final term before a super goal by Anthony Rocca sparked a dramatic comeback and victory.

Buoyed by the match-winning form from the likes of unheralded Andrew Williams and Leon Davis, Malthouse said the Tigers let slip what should have been a fairytale start to Wallace's coaching stint at Punt Rd.

"The game plan that Richmond has under their coach and, this is certainly not a criticism, I think this is probably an asset I certainly haven't got," Malthouse said.

"I reckon if we are 25 points in front or thereabouts, I tend to think well, I'd almost say, 'Blow the siren'. I'd take it."

"Whereas Terry, historically and traditionally, has gone '25, let's go to 50!'. And that is breaking the back of the opposition and quite often that does take place.

"Any games we've won by an extra couple of goals -- and you really think that's cheap goals -- but what it is, is rubbing the opposition into the ground.

"But doing that, it sometimes opens up the floodgates, or opens up (your own defensive) gates.

"If you persevere long enough and things get turned around, and you make the most of your opportunities where we didn't early, sometimes you can latch on to a couple of goals.

"That perhaps (allows you) to get back in and win the game."

Wallace rebuffed Malthouse's comments, saying his side did its best to defend what should have been a match-winning lead.

"When you get that far in front, you should win that game of footy, we tried to save it and you learn very, very quickly that you can't save footy games," Wallace said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12299837%255E19771,00.html

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 04:39:44 AM »
There's no one I hate more in the footy world at the moment than Malthouse and McGuire.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 04:45:05 AM »
The rivalry has begun!

Mick should be more worried about his own side than ours. He's had 5 years to develop and drill the Pies in his gameplan whereas Wallace has had one pumped up practice game. We'll meet again Mick when it matters and 4 points are up for grabs  :thumbsup.

As for Eddie John, I went to the game last night but I heard the commentary in the last quarter when the Pies were coming back was biased and over the top from him. Was that the case? Glad I missed it if it was.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 04:57:40 AM »
Just his typical biased self MT. Being all excited when the pies do something good but sulking or remaining silent when the Tigers do a good play.

For instance when Tambling kicked his super goal after burning off Scott Burns all Eddie could offer was some deflated mumbling which could only very loosely be classified as praise.

Was also very quick to point out the umpires mistakes when they went against Collingwood but remained silent when we got some dodgy decisions.

One thing that absolutely infuriated me was after the match when they went into the Collingwood rooms where Doc Larkins was and he was reporting the tragic news that Schulz would miss 8-10 weeks, all Eddie said (in a joking manner) when they cut back to him was make sure those guys that were standing behind you blocking our sponsors banners don't do that again or they'll be kicked out the club (in reference to some collingwood trainers and staff that were blocking their corporate banners).

Gary Lyon then said it was horrible news for Jay Schulz and then Eddie put in some empty words of how it was sad for Schulz. You could tell he didn't give a stuff though. Even when he was being told that it would be a ten week injury the first thing he thought about was just getting his corporate logos onto the screen.

He is just an arrsehole capitalist, corporate pig who tries unsuccesfully to hide it. stuff THE idiot AND stuff MALTHOUSE!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 05:00:36 AM by JohnF »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 05:10:32 AM »
Just typical Collingwood really. Only care about themselves and deluded in themselves to think that they are the centre of the football universe  ::). Only good thing about it is this denial in admitting their own flaws and deficiences makes them come up a crocker when it matters  :thumbsup. Only 1 flag in the past 47 years is testimony to that  :lol.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 05:13:41 AM »
LOL, true.

I can't wait until Collingwood finish bottom four for a couple of years consecutively. I'll enjoy listening to Eddie's commentary then.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 05:21:14 AM »
I can't wait until Collingwood finish bottom four for a couple of years consecutively.

Could be this year with any luck  :thumbsup.

froars

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 08:44:15 AM »
Nothing like a gracious winner, hey.
I was sitting right next to the Pies cheer squad last night and it was a great atmosphere there when we got so far ahead lol.
Oh well, they tried their best.  I think Micky would be creaming himself (and probably is anyway lol) if he had Tambo and Deledio in his side.
He can take his meaningless win in a meaningless competition - i'll take the great kids we've got for our future.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 10:51:55 AM »
Ditto moi - I was next to them just on the left of the cretins. Had a bit of fun there for a while. By next year we will be in front of that rabble and will stay there for many years  Geez I hate collingwood. :banghead