Author Topic: Richmond's 2004 report card  (Read 2513 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richmond's 2004 report card
« on: September 13, 2004, 02:44:21 AM »
12 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

The season from hell,

LADDER POSITION: 16TH (4 wins, 18 losses)

COACH

The damning statistic for Danny Frawley has been his inability to arrest opposition run-ons in games -- sides regularly pile on six or more unanswered goals -- and losing streaks in seasons. For the past three years the Tigers have strung them together at will. This year it's a club record 14 and counting. 3/10

DEFENCE

Darren Gaspar's struggles have been well documented. His year was awful but, standing 193cm and with a knee reconstruction, let's judge him after a full pre-season. Mark Chaffey and Andrew Kellaway, fourth and fifth in last year's B&F, dropped off. 3/10

MIDFIELD

Fair. Any midfield that has Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson starts ahead of the ledger. Against that 2003 B&F Mark Coughlan copped the dreaded osteitis pubis and Greg Tivendale, third in last year's B&F, was ordinary after a good start. Statistically, the Tigers were a respectable eighth in clearances in the AFL. 5/10

RUCK STRENGTH

What should have been a strength bordered on a weakness. Brad Ottens' stats look fine but his matchwinning influence has been minimal. Greg Stafford was too often injured or suspended, Ray Hall is not big enough and Ben Marsh not good enough. 5/10

FORWARDS

There was Richo, Richo and Richo. He gave it his all and virtually won three of his club's four victories. But will he start in the goalsquare in 2005? Expect Terry Wallace to give him a taste of centre half-back. Shane Morrison was disappointing, but Jay Schulz showed glimpses. 4/10

LEADERSHIP

The number of natural leaders is small, with Johnson anointed to take over. Retiring captain Wayne Campbell is a passionate Tiger whose lack of a ``crash-bang'' playing style attracted unfair criticism. Coughlan is next in line. 4/10

LIST MANAGEMENT

Improved in 2004 with young talent in Brent Hartigan, Daniel Jackson, Kelvin Moore, Thomas Roach and Andrew Raines. There are wraps on Alex Gilmour, but up to 10 senior-list players are in danger. 6/10

PROMOTION

If you gauge it by news space, excellent. If you gauge it by positive stories, terrible. Watch for the media-savvy Wallace to turn this around.2/10

MEMBERSHIP

A bright spot under the Clinton Casey regime. A rise of 2032, or 8 per cent, to 27,133. The problem is keeping them after this year. 6/10

FINANCES

Appalling. We know the loss will be about $2 million, although some claim that's optimistic.0/10

SHINING LIGHT

JOEL BOWDEN

Has been a revelation. He's always had his critics but Bowden has shoved it up them. His disposal and bravery have been highlights.

TRADE TEASER

BRAD OTTENS TO ADELAIDE for picks No. 8 and 24 plus BRENT REILLY

The coat-tuggers are still jumping out of trees to say Brad Ottens, 24, will return to Adelaide. With Matthew Clarke nearing the end, and the Crows also needing key forwards, that is the most likely mix.

What would the Tigers require? Adelaide would be happy to give up its first two picks (No. 8 and 24) and probably a player. Young defender Brent Reilly from Gisborne might appeal.

ORDER OF DRAFT PICKS: 1, 4, 20, 36, 52 (subject to trades)

YOU'RE EXCUSED

MATTY RICHARDSON

Was a standout in an dismal season. Seventh in Coleman with 65, including a bag of 10. How many would he kick in a good side?

NATHAN BROWN

Silky early and clearly the Tigers' best until he was restricted by a calf injury. Still finished in AFL top 20 for disposals with 467.

MOST IMPROVED

CHRIS HYDE

The 22-year-old from Barooga was at the crossroads going into his third season. But he played every game and gave it his all as a tagger.

ANDREW KRAKOUER

Was a big improver early before a flat spot. Played more in the midfield, he kicked 20 goals and laid 95 tackles, seventh most in AFL.

YEAR TO FORGET

JUSTIN BLUMFIELD

At halftime in the 2000 Grand Final he was staring at a Norm Smith Medal. Four years on and his injury-ravaged career is in tatters.

DARREN GASPAR

The two-time All-Australian went from the club's No.1 defender to a liability at full-back after a knee reconstruction.

SEE YOU LATER

DUNCAN KELLAWAY

Could add only one game in 2004, the club favourite unable to get his body to do what his mind wanted after a series of leg injuries.

MATTHEW ROGERS

Ended three short of 200 after playing just one game in 2004. Best remembered for his two goals in final quarter of 1995 second semi-final.

CLUB LEADERS

Ranking points

1 Joel Bowden 2631

2 Nathan Brown 2243

3 Brad Ottens 2113

4 Kane Johnson 2103

5 Wayne Campbell 1982

Goalkickers

1 Matthew Richardson 65

2 Nathan Brown 26

3 Andrew Krakouer 20

Kicks Joel Bowden 345

Marks Matthew Richardson 130

Handballs Kane Johnson 214

Clearances Kane Johnson 81

Clangers Nathan Brown 68

Tackles Andrew Krakouer 95

Goal assists Kane Johnson 16

Hitouts Brad Ottens 424

Marking spoils Ray Hall 78

Most benchings Chris Hyde 55

Most minutes Greg Tivendale 2490

Players used 39

VITAL STATS

The Good

The Tigers cleared 40 per cent of throw-ins, ranked third in the AFL.

The Bad

The Tigers' kicking efficiency of 76 per cent was the worst in the AFL. They ranked 14th for inside 50s and once there, scored a goal 24 per cent of the time, ranked 16th.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10744356%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond's 2004 report card
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:07:20 AM »

The Tigers' kicking efficiency of 76 per cent was the worst in the AFL. They ranked 14th for inside 50s and once there, scored a goal 24 per cent of the time, ranked 16th.

76% - That high! Still every 4th kick missing a target would sum up our year. Not to mention that 3 of every 4 attacks got rebounded by the opposition.

BRAD OTTENS TO ADELAIDE for picks No. 8 and 24 plus BRENT REILLY

I can't see the Crows giving up Reilly and a 1st and 2nd round pick for Otto. Plus Otto it settled in Melbourne now. Typical journo tip - he comes from SA and he comes from Vic so swap them.

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 08:51:20 AM »
if they did offer us that trade we would have to take it in a flash if you ask me, but i doubt that Adelaide would offer that much for Otto.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:13:37 PM »
12 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

The season from hell,

Agreed!  :help

FORWARDS

There was Richo, Richo and Richo. He gave it his all and virtually won three of his club's four victories. But will he start in the goalsquare in 2005? Expect Terry Wallace to give him a taste of centre half-back. Shane Morrison was disappointing, but Jay Schulz showed glimpses. 4/10

Agree with this one too. Though - if Terry's looking to give a bloke a go at CHB - I'd throw Morrison down there. I can't see us trading him so he has another year to go - it's got to be worth a shot

LEADERSHIP

The number of natural leaders is small, with Johnson anointed to take over. Retiring captain Wayne Campbell is a passionate Tiger whose lack of a ``crash-bang'' playing style attracted unfair criticism. Coughlan is next in line. 4/10

That aobut sums it up doesn't it? The Hun managed 3 names -  :help

LIST MANAGEMENT

Improved in 2004 with young talent in Brent Hartigan, Daniel Jackson, Kelvin Moore, Thomas Roach and Andrew Raines. There are wraps on Alex Gilmour, but up to 10 senior-list players are in danger. 6/10

I see that list of names and I think there is a future for us

PROMOTION

If you gauge it by news space, excellent. If you gauge it by positive stories, terrible. Watch for the media-savvy Wallace to turn this around.2/10

No team can sell papers like the Tigers  :bow :lol

MEMBERSHIP

A bright spot under the Clinton Casey regime. A rise of 2032, or 8 per cent, to 27,133. The problem is keeping them after this year. 6/10

Disagree - I reckon our membership in 2005 will surprise alot of people :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 04:17:24 PM »

Just thinking about this. If ottens really did want to leave we would have to take this deal.
Then we get picks 1,4,8,20,24,36

That would be so good plus we get a gun midfielder in reilly.

1- Deledio
2- Tambling/Roughhead/Griffen/Franklin
8- Lewis or best ruckman if lewis is taken
20- Ruckman
24- KP
36- KP

We can then trade fiora for a ruckman at another club jamar etc. Also trade blumfield to bombers and chaffey and andy kellaway to swans they wnat experienced players.

This would be my wizard cup side then if all things went to plan and we palyed youngsters.

B: Jackson Gasper Zantuck
HB: Bowden Hall Hartigan
C: Reilly Coughlan Lewis
HF: Brown Schultz Deledio
FF: Pettifer Richo Krakouer
Foll: Stafford Johnson Rodan
Int: Moore Jamar/Jolly Raines Pick 4 Newman Hyde

We can then trade fiora for a ruckman at another club jamar etc.

Thoughts?
wrenny

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 04:49:03 PM »
Although having 4 picks in the top 20 would be good I don't believe Otto will be leaving Victoria although when it comes to trading anythign is possible. I also don't reckon there'll be quality young KPP left after pick 20. Normally they are highly sort after along with top young midfielders. 

We've delisted Blumfield so we can't trade him I believe and I doubt Andy Kellaway has any trade value at his age. As for Chaffey and Fiora - go right ahead trading them :thumbsup.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 04:51:47 PM »
I think the whole Season From Hell line sums it up..........

I still remember the Collingwood saying, yeah we won but too many old traits, but heres hoping that we can continue like this......then two weeks later pleading at the coaches down the race at Colonial to somehow find a way to consistently kick more than 10 goals a game......

Then throwing my arms out like Geez preying for this season to end in Rd 4......wishing Frawley got sacked after Rd 5 to Adelaide...and cursing that we beat Hawthorn bc it meant he would see the year out....then celebrating like a mad man against Sydney.....there is hope........

and it was downhill after that.......

Season From Hell.........as we say in Greek, den les; (you dont say).....

Cant wait for the official AFL Tape next year for our Season in Review.... :shh :shh
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 04:54:53 PM »
I heard Miller on the radio say Blumfield is not de-listed so we can trade him if someone wants him.

One thing for sure he will not be a tiger next year

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 05:03:02 PM »
We've delisted Blumfield so we can't trade him I believe

Blaisee beat me to the punch....

I heard Miller on the radio say Blumfield is not de-listed so we can trade him if someone wants him.

I remember that interview and Miller saying that they'd trade him a late pick
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 05:18:46 PM »

One thing for sure he will not be a tiger next year

Thanks for clearing that up blaisee and WP. It's a bonus if we can get a pick for him.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 10:55:15 PM »
Justin Murphy back to Punt road.lol.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond's 2004 report card - Paul Gough
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 02:12:26 PM »
2004 report card: Richmond
10:37:27 AM Tue 14 September, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

What went right: Not much on the field but plenty off it as the Tigers trumped Hawthorn by securing Terry Wallace as their coach for 2005 and beyond. Wallace, who was clearly the most sought after coach-in-waiting, has signed a five year deal at Punt Road, raising hopes that the man who lifted the battling Western Bulldogs into the 1997 and 1998 preliminary finals might be the man to finally lift the Tigers up the ladder. But he faces a massive job - given the Tigers have won just five of their past 36 matches - and since reaching the 2001 preliminary final, which was only their second finals appearance in the past 22 years, they have finished 14th, 13th and now 16th on the ladder. But at least the Tigers appeared to unearth some promising youngsters in 2004 with rising star nominee Brent Hartigan, Daniel Jackson, Tom Roach, Andrew Raines and Kelvin Moore all showing enough to suggest they could become long-term stars for the Tigers.

What went wrong: Just about everything. The Tigers finished last on the ladder for the first time since 1989 as morale and team performance disintegrated under coach Danny Frawley. Frawley resigned after round 13 but continued to coach the club for the last nine games as his five year tenure came to an end. The Tigers failed to win a game after round eight - losing their last 14 matches which represented their worst ever losing run in a single season. 2003 best and fairest winner Mark Coughlan missed nearly all of the season with a combination of groin and lower stomach problems while ruckman Greg Stafford also endured a horror year with injuries and suspensions. Full-back Darren Gaspar struggled to regain his form after last year's knee re-construction and even spent time in the VFL while skipper Wayne Campbell and the normally reliable Mark Chaffey failed to have their usual impact. And highly-rated former Bomber Justin Blumfield again hardly made an appearance for the second successive year and was eventually delisted. By season's end the Tigers had played virtually every player on their list but only Joel Bowden, Kane Johnson, boom recruit Nathan Brown and spearhead Matthew Richardson could be satisfied with their season's performance.

Who stepped up: Joel Bowden - When the brilliant but often frustrating midfielder was dropped in round six - ending a streak of 136 consecutive games - it appeared his career was at the crossroads. But Bowden's response was simply magnificent and his win at the club's best and fairest was most deserved. Reinventing himself as an attacking centre-half-back, Bowden picked up 42 possessions against minor premiers Port just three weeks later and showed as the season progressed he could even match it with the game's best centre-half-forwards such as Brisbane's Jonathan Brown, despite his lack of height and weight. By season's end even those Richmond fans that had been critical of him in the past were in agreement that he is the hot favourite to win this year's Jack Dyer Medal.

Missing in action: Mark Coughlan - After winning his first best and fairest last year at the age of just 22, the tough midfielder was the public face of Richmond's membership drive for 2004. But after a great start, when he starred in the round one win over Collingwood, things soon went downhill for the young star. By the round five game against Adelaide it was obvious Coughlan was playing under great duress and hardly seemed able to run. He was soon diagnosed as having "pubic instability" - a combination of lower stomach and groin problems and did not re-appear in the senior side until the last two games of the season. His absence was not only a huge blow to the team but a huge blow to the morale of the long-suffering Tigers fans, who at least had been able to enjoy watching his progress over the last two years while the team struggled.

Rising Star: Brent Hartigan - Taken at pick 70 in last year's national draft this tough small defender exceeded expectations by playing 19 games in his debut season. He won the nomination for the prestigious AFL Rising Star award in the final round and successfully negated some of the AFL's elite crumbing forwards in his debut season to show he has long-term future at Punt Road.

Best win: Round 7 vs Sydney at SCG - When a team only has four wins for the season there isn't many to choose from but this game was easily the Tigers' stand-out performance of the year. It was their only win against a top eight side for the season and their only win outside of Victoria. And it came on the back of a brilliant performance from spearhead Matthew Richardson, who kicked seven of the Tigers' 10 goals in wet conditions that did not suit tall, marking forwards.

Worst loss: Round 5 vs Adelaide at Telstra Dome - This was the night it all went horribly wrong for the Tigers. The team had already lost three in a row, after a promising first round win over 2002 and 2003 grand finalists Collingwood, and had home state advantage against a Crows' side that had been winless over the first four rounds. But Richmond simply capitulated, losing by 75 points, as fans vented their anger after the game with one supporter even being caught spitting at coach Danny Frawley after the game by television cameras.

Shopping list: In deciding to appoint Wallace for five years - one of the longest initial coaching contracts ever handed to a new coach - Richmond football director Greg Miller has acknowledged just what a huge job it will be to re-build the Tigers' list. This is a club that needs just about everything in terms of what type of new players it needs to secure. With Gaspar struggling so badly, although there is hope he will be better next year, and Bowden being forced to play centre-half-back for most of the year - where he starred despite his lack of height and weight - the Tigers badly need key defenders. Impressive youngster Jackson shapes as one long-term candidate but the Tigers badly need to draft more youngsters capable of eventually developing into key position players. The Tigers' forward line also needs players capable of kicking goals on a regular basis with the attack this year almost totally reliant on Matthew Richardson, as evidenced by his goals tally of 65 dwarfing the next best of Nathan Brown with 26. And while the return of Coughlan next year will help, the Tigers also need more midfielders but with picks one and four in the national draft they should be able to secure two future midfield stars such as highly-rated youngsters Brett Deledio or Ryan Griffin.

What the coach says: "There is a huge capacity here to be a strength of the competition. I am honoured the Richmond football club has given me the opportunity to take it forward and into a new era." - Terry Wallace upon his appointment as Richmond coach in August.

What we say: The Tigers are capable of big improvement next year with Wallace in charge and with the likely addition of two top youngsters with picks one and four in the national draft and the chance to get an uncontracted player from a rival club with pick one in the pre-season draft. But the best long-suffering Tiger fans can hope for is probably an outside chance of making the eight next year. It is likely it will take a coach even as gifted as Wallace considerable time to re-build the shattered morale of the Richmond players, who have won just 18 games in three years. It will also take him time to change the Tigers' playing style to make them a more direct and harder team but if the Tigers' fans show just a little bit more patience - which admittedly is tough after just two finals series in the past 22 years - then eventually genuine success could come under Wallace but it could well take him the full five years.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=170919

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 02:34:23 PM »
Pretty hard to argue against any of that. Just goes to show how badly the now ex-coaching staff let our playing stocks die when we now need new and quality players in nearly every key position on the park  >:(.

A bit unfair to single out Cogs as MIA. We had so many other MIAs that could've have been named and they didn't have a season destroying injury as an excuse.

The hardest task for Wallace IMO is going to be restoring morale, belief and a winning culture back into a team that has become accustomed to massive losing streaks. I believe it's going to take at least a couple of years for him to do that as he'll require the new group coming in now with none of that baggage to completely take over from the failed old guard as the latter leaves.