Author Topic: How would you rate Richmond's overall performance in trade and drafts this year?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Okay we've had an hour or so to take in all our picks today. So how did we all rate how the Club performed in the whole trade, national, preseason and rookie drafts period?

Trade:
Adam Thomson

National Draft:
8. Tyrone Vickery
26. Jayden Post
58. Tom Hislop

PSD:
6. Ben Cousins

Rookie Draft:
8. Robin Nahas
24. David Gourdis (redrafted)
39. Andrew Browne
53. Alroy Gilligan

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Fairly happy with the drafts, I gave it a 7 overall.  It certainly was entertaining with all the Cousins hype.

I thought we may have gone with a bit more "younger youth" though.

I am still concerned with Cousins and his form, especially his hammy's as he will be busting to prove the world wrong and he doesn't hold back.

Definitely my appetite for 2009 has been increased with this draft though.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Fairly happy with the drafts, I gave it a 7 overall.  It certainly was entertaining with all the Cousins hype.

I thought we may have gone with a bit more "younger youth" though.

I am still concerned with Cousins and his form, especially his hammy's as he will be busting to prove the world wrong and he doesn't hold back.

Definitely my appetite for 2009 has been increased with this draft though.

After comming 9th - Cousins, Vickery, Thomson, Hislop, Post + a back up ruckman and couple aboriginal kids is a fairly good pick up.

Good luck to Mr Gourdis also.

:santa

Ox

Momentous.

Media hype is priceless and Cuzzys story is actually of human interest.

The giant is awakening.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
We finally picked all our needs.

Some might not make it, but we have a couple of ruckmen, couple of small forwards, some hard nut midfielders, a potential class midfielder and a couple of KPP. 
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Very pleased with our trades and draft selections overall. We traded and drafted following our 'bring a group of similiar aged talent through together' strategy, filled in some obvious 'holes/deficencies' in our list and obtained an extremely talented onfield leader.

Thomson and Hislop will add depth to our midfield young talent.

Vickery is a quality forward/ruckman which we were desperately in need of with the fast approaching retirement of Simmonds and no obvious replacement.

Post could play either end of the ground and will aid further depth to both ends of the ground.

Cousins is a star. Despite his well documented personal off-field issues he will bring a huge amount to the club. The biggest positive is the influence he will have on our developing stars work ethic, training and loyalty to the team. Cousins is reknown for his on-field leadership skills which has been our biggest deficency for decades. He inspires his team-mates through his actions and demands success from his team.

In addition the sheer amount of positive media attention, increased membership, sponsorship and overall club morale is worth his selection on its own. It is a risky choice with a big downside if it all goes pear shaped but the potential positives are equally extreme. After picking up Vickery, Cousins is my favourite selection by far.

I know very little about the rookies but what I have read is that we have gone for a mixture of potential and needs. Rookies are always speculative choices at best so any successes out of this lot would be a bonus.

Picking up Gourdis has shown we are good to our word, loyal to the players and once again good for team morale.

Very pleased with our trades and drafting! Well done FJ and CC.  :bow

Stripes

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I gave it a 7, I don't think we did badly, but we could have much done better

Giving up a 3rd rounder for Thomson was too much and could have landed us someone like Jordan Lisle or Mitch Banner who slipped through to this pick.
The screw up where Brisbane heard us discussing McCulloch was amateurish and inexcusable.
We should have cut Pettifer and one of Johnson/Bowden to give us more selections and balance out the departure list for the end of 2009, we have far too many senior players who will be going at the end of 2009.
We should have requested for Polak to be put on the rookie list immediately, I think most clubs would have supported the move without the Cousins selection hanging over us and it would have allowed him to play at a lower level instead of not being able to play on the LTIL.
I am very happy with the selection of Vickery and Post, but would have liked to take at least one bottom aged player
Happy to have passed with Pick 70 in the ND to look at the left overs at training, but very disappointing to have passed on our last rookie selection, Sylvester should have been cut too, the guy is not AFL level.
We've used our rookie list to "top up" again with some older players, given the upcoming compromised drafts we really should be getting our hands on some younger players.
I was completely against getting Cousins, but have warmed to the idea now we have him, I would have liked to balance it out with some younger selections but glad we have Gourdis still.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Giving up a 3rd rounder for Thomson was too much and could have landed us someone like Jordan Lisle or Mitch Banner who slipped through to this pick.
The screw up where Brisbane heard us discussing McCulloch was amateurish and inexcusable.
We should have cut Pettifer and one of Johnson/Bowden to give us more selections and balance out the departure list for the end of 2009, we have far too many senior players who will be going at the end of 2009.
We should have requested for Polak to be put on the rookie list immediately, I think most clubs would have supported the move without the Cousins selection hanging over us and it would have allowed him to play at a lower level instead of not being able to play on the LTIL.
I am very happy with the selection of Vickery and Post, but would have liked to take at least one bottom aged player
Happy to have passed with Pick 70 in the ND to look at the left overs at training, but very disappointing to have passed on our last rookie selection, Sylvester should have been cut too, the guy is not AFL level.
We've used our rookie list to "top up" again with some older players, given the upcoming compromised drafts we really should be getting our hands on some younger players.
I was completely against getting Cousins, but have warmed to the idea now we have him, I would have liked to balance it out with some younger selections but glad we have Gourdis still.
Saved me from typing that out Infamy. I gave it a 7 out of 10 also for those reasons. We probably could have cut deeper into the list and made some harder calls on players to free up more National draft picks. That way we could have tried to pick up Thomson later in the draft (Port would've delisted him) while keeping hold onto our 3rd round pick to draft another youngster. The positives are we targetted our needs while still getting the best available with our earlier picks and have kept the momentum going from our second half finish to 2008.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Im happy that we recognised that there were voids in the make up of our side that prompted us to recruit some mids with size in Thomo, Hislop and then Cuzz...My only mild dissapointment was 1 or 2 of the rookie selections...I liked the sound of Klemke...R1 would have snared him and questions remain over sylvestor...An insurance policy perhaps....I like Browne ..Big Red and Little Buddy aka Gilligan , looks the goods :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
I gave it a 6.

3 recycled players is of concern

At least 2 list cloggers still being retained

Vickery & Post are positives in that the ND is being used for a balance of list need & best available.

The rookie list with Gourdis & Browne is a positive where development players should be tested.

Just wonder how much input CC has had since the ND, as I suspect he may have been rolled on a couple of calls ...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

100% agree

apart from the Bowden part and i would have added JON to that list.

Thompson did not play much with Port this year and they have a average midfield so what does that tell you
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Of course, keep a 31 year old and cut the 21 year old
Makes perfect sense

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years

100% agree

apart from the Bowden part and i would have added JON to that list.

Thompson did not play much with Port this year and they have a average midfield so what does that tell you

I don't think too many would agree with that...Burgouyne Bros, Kade Kornes, salopek, pearce...a pack strong enough to contest the finals year in year out with the exception of 2008 ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled