Author Topic: NRL thread  (Read 57001 times)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: NRL - Melbourne Storm
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
I'm with you CUB. I sure wish Dimwittyou and little Ando had the BALLS to strip Carltank of a couple of their ill-gotten Premierships.
Will put our game to shame they didn't do this and the NFL did against a side they desperately want to succeed

What is even more amazing is that News Ltd have a stake in both the NRL and Melbourne Storm and yet there was no cover up by the NRL and the punishment was severe. Quite staggering to see this sort of integrity in the modern day. The AFL never displays such behaviour. Andy D and co don't deserve the honour of running this great game.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
Bwahahahahahahahahaha idiots!

Ox

« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »
Jealousy and cunning

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
Why would you keep a secret file of the breaches at all, let alone at the office where an auditor could find them? ? ? ? ? ?

There's a lot of people in NSW rugby that are going to be celebrating tonight
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »
Storm statement regarding NRL punishment
22/04/2010 5:24:46 PM

“Melbourne Storm has today accepted the findings and outcomes of an NRL investigation in to the club’s salary cap accounts,” Melbourne Storm Chairman, Dr Rob Moodie, said.

“The rules are very clear and some former members of management have wrongly decided to break them.

“On behalf of the Melbourne Storm I would like to sincerely apologise to our players, our staff, our sponsors, our members and our supporters, and we will continue to assist the NRL with their investigation.

“The Melbourne Storm Board became aware of these possible salary cap indiscretions on April 13 this year.

“At that point the Board initiated its own full investigation into any possible salary cap indiscretions.

“Today is a most unbelievable blow and this is the lowest day in the club’s history.

“Melbourne Storm is a resilient club and this is a great challenge, a challenge that as a board we weren’t aware of, but now are.

“We will absolutely endeavour to return this club back to the great heights where it deserves to be.

“Melbourne Storm is full of people with great character who will not turn their back on this next great challenge.

“We will repay our fans. The biggest sufferer here is our support base. They have not had any role in what has been uncovered here.

“For that we are absolutely sorry.

“All we can ask of them is to remain resolute and loyal to the Melbourne Storm and we make the commitment that we will never ask them to ever experience anything like this in the future.”

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy said: “This is an absolute shock to myself, to our football staff, to our players.

“Personally I am heartbroken.

“But this football club has great character and values. We will not walk away from this challenge.

“We will stick tight together as a group and fight our way back from this.”

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=2487

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
Why would you keep a secret file of the breaches at all, let alone at the office where an auditor could find them? ? ? ? ? ?
They were keeping two books. A phoney one to show the NRL's auditors and the hidden real one.

There's a lot of people in NSW rugby that are going to be celebrating tonight
On SEN some from up there are saying they couldn't care less as Melbourne is an Aussie Rules town and they never liked the Storm  ::). They should care if the next tv rights deal is less than what they wanted because there's one less club and the NRL is limited to just viewers in two states.

Yep WP it's lead story on both SEVEN and NINE news. They spent at least 7 minutes on it and are calling it the greatest cheating scandal in Australian sport. TT is also doing a story on it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »
Isn't it strangely fitting that the Storm is based at the cardboard kingdom like another bunch of serial cheats?
They should just torch the place and have done with it :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
Isn't it strangely fitting that the Storm is based at the cardboard kingdom like another bunch of serial cheats?
;D

Well if it did rub off being at cheatville they'll know they were taught by the best  :scream

Just back to the AFL you wouldn't want to be the club next to breach the salary cap. Andy D and the AFL won't want to look "soft" in comparison to the NRL.

Another issue here is the new rectangular stadium about to start hosting games. The stadium would have been counting on decent Storm crowds to provide funding returns through the winter months.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

My thoughts entirely. If you reside with poo and scum pretty soon no matter what you'll end up behaving like cheat and scum. Anything underhanded and improper and somehow that Carlcheatliescum are involved.

Finger is being pointed at Brian Waldron who left the Storm for the Heart.

When we had a salary cap breach in the 90's was it Waldron's time at the club?

Seems to me issues follow him wherever he goes? ::)

For the record Canterbury were caught late in 2002 and stripped of all their points for salary cap breaches. They were undefeated three weeks out from finals when they were caught. In 2004 they won the NRL Grand Final.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »
Bahahaha unbelievable this was the main story on Lateline.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »
saw this on the fox site.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27023108-5018866,00.html

Got me thinking how Billy  Slater would go off a half back flank if you could teach him to kick?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
Out of all of this, at least we aren't going to be the only footy team this year finishing on 0 wins!

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2010, 02:37:43 PM »
Word out of the Storm is Waldron's excuse when contacted to explain this mess is that all NRL clubs are doing it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
3 major sponsors quit the Storm within the past 24 hours. As I said yesterday it's hardly to see them surviving this.

As for Waldron, hard to believe his word on this but if there's even a smidge of truth to what he has claimed then the proverbial will really hit the fan for the NRL.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »
saw this on the fox site.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27023108-5018866,00.html

Got me thinking how Billy  Slater would go off a half back flank if you could teach him to kick?
Not the dumbest idea if any of them can kick. Slater wasn't too bad kicking the Sherrin at goal in that Rexona best athlete tv show. Ironcially they wouldn't be included in an AFL club's salary cap because they have not been part of the AFL system for the past 3 years. Similar to what happened with Karmichael Hunt at GC17. Andy D would love the publicity too especially if they were to sign-up with GWS. In fact the AFL would probably pay the salary for the club.

I'd doubt though any would want to make the transition to the AFL. Hunt was a special case as he played a bit of footy as a junior. However with talk of more than just 2-3 players leaving the Storm over this it's going to be difficult to squeeze them all in at other NRL clubs who would be all maxed out with their own salary caps. The like of Slater, Inglis and co. may head over to England to play. There's 100 Aussies playing in the English super league as is. It would be another hit for the NRL if they did. Playing Union would also be an option say in France. Again similar to what Hunt did.