Author Topic: The 4 young Tigers who must be given more opportunity in 2024 (SEN)  (Read 398 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
THE FOUR YOUNG TIGERS WHO MUST BE GIVEN MORE OPPORTUNITY IN 2024

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
15 March 2024

Kane Cornes wants to see Richmond’s future on display for the good for the club going forward.

The Tigers traded away a number of key draft picks to get Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper in from GWS in the 2022 trade period, costing them the opportunity to invest in last year’s and this year’s drafts.

However, they did have a handy haul in the 2021 draft which delivered them five selections inside the top 30 - Josh Gibcus (Pick 9), Tom Brown (Pick 17), Tyler Sonsie (Pick 28), Sam Banks (Pick 29) and Judson Clarke (Pick 30).

As the Tigers enter a new era under Adem Yze, the time is right to start blooding these third-year players for the future of the club, according to Cornes.

He assessed what the quintet have produced between them so far while urging the Tigers to get them playing regular senior footy, Gibcus aside after the gut-wrenching knee injury he sustained in the loss to Carlton on Thursday night.

“With where they are at, I just want to see some youth,” Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

“We all remember 2021, they're spruiking the five players that they selected inside 30 of the draft. They were heavily invested in the draft and took five players inside 30, which sounds nice.

“It sounds like you've invested in the draft, but this is what's happened with those players:

Josh Gibcus

“We’ll start with Gibcus, Pick 9, clearly the guy can play. It was a good pick. Injury has let him down, 18 games in his first year and looked good.

“Nothing last year and now he's not going to play this year. It’s unfortunate and nothing you can do about that. I think it was a good pick.

Tom Brown

“Pick 17, Tom Brown. He's played one AFL game, he’s played lots of VFL football.

“Don't know a whole lot about him, 26 games in the VFL but hardly sighted at AFL level.

Tyler Sonsie

“Tyler Sonsie, he was picked at 28 in that draft.

“He played seven games in his first year, only three last year, had some suspension and some injury worries.

Sam Banks and Judson Clarke

“Sam Banks was picked at 29 in that draft. Six games last year, played in Opening Round, then was dropped.

“Judson Clarke was picked at 30, played three games in his first year, 13 last year, not playing at the moment.

“That's 53 games from five players in two and a bit seasons when you told us this was a big draft haul.”

------------------------

Cornes would rather see Richmond develop some of these young guys rather than continue to give games to experienced premiership players such as Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett and Nathan Broad.

It is the younger section of the playing list that he wants to see on display in order to brighten the future of the Richmond Football Club.

“I don't want to see McIntosh, I don't want to see Pickett, I don't want to see Broad with where they're at,” he added.

“I want to see Brown, I want to see Sonsie, I want to see Banks and I want to see Judson Clarke, and you can chuck in Noah Cumberland and some others into this mix as well.

“That's what we need to find out about Richmond. This now is where their focus needs to go, I think.

“It’s not about Richmond now. Of course, they want to win, they want to get Adem Yze’s first win and you want to compete every week.

“But the future of this footy club is going to be decided by these five players and a couple of others because you've traded away your other draft picks.

“Now, I'm not suggesting you play all five of them at the same time. That's the query I've got or did they just get it wrong or is it too early to decide?

“I don't know, but there's a balance in there that the future needs to be on display for Richmond.”

The Tigers have started the 2024 season 0-2 after going down to Carlton by five points in a thriller at the MCG on Thursday night.

Of the aforementioned five, only Gibcus played and unfortunately he suffered a suspected serious knee injury which threatens to sideline him for the rest of the season.

They had an average of 27 years and average games of 120.5 in the loss to the Blues.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/14/the-four-young-tigers-who-must-be-given-more-opportunity-in-2024/

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: The 4 young Tigers who must be given more opportunity in 2024 (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 08:32:46 AM »
Tend to agree Kane

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 09:55:01 AM »
Kane makes some valid points

But if he wants to know more about the players he's mentioned he can easily get hold of vision of all of them and see what they offer or don't offer (eg weaknesses).
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 04:16:26 PM »
Kane has been reading this forum !

To be fair as the year goes on I think the team will get younger and younger.

My biggest concern as I have voiced many times now is that I'm not sure we even have the young talent coming through for our next push at being a top 4 side... Out of those players listed I could only say that Gibcus was a certain star and injury may just prevent that.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 07:35:46 PM »
Kane has been reading this forum !

To be fair as the year goes on I think the team will get younger and younger.

My biggest concern as I have voiced many times now is that I'm not sure we even have the young talent coming through for our next push at being a top 4 side... Out of those players listed I could only say that Gibcus was a certain star and injury may just prevent that.

Bingo. Talent is just not there that is very obvious. The quicker the club wakes up to this the better. If Yze doesnt then he wont last long.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 07:58:49 PM »
It’s not a question of whether all or none of the talent is there currently.

We need to find out if SOME of the talent is there.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 08:23:10 PM »

Fair enough with some of them, but the mids should atleast be dominating. What about fin McRae for the pies absolutely dominating at vfl and didn’t get a game meanwhile we have sonesie not making much of an impact

Online Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 08:30:21 PM »

Its a long season, I've got a feeling that Yze will give all of the young blokes a fair run of games to see who'll cut the mustard.
We need to find out who'll be part of the next premiership push.
There'll be quitea changing of the guard at the end of this season imo.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 08:34:34 PM »

Fair enough with some of them, but the mids should atleast be dominating. What about fin McRae for the pies absolutely dominating at vfl and didn’t get a game meanwhile we have sonesie not making much of an impact

Agree. The list clearly needs a lot of work.

We have to start by playing the kids currently on our list.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 09:39:51 PM »
As injuries and genuine poor form take hold , the kids will get their chance and should be rotated through the seniors based on performance . What’s this bloke obsession with our club, strange person

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 09:41:59 PM »
Out with the old KMac in with the new KMac.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.