Author Topic: Ruckman Needed / Cam Wood and Orren Stephenson training with Richmond  (Read 23864 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Ruckman Needed
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2012, 11:11:36 AM »
I think we should just bring in a big, competitive state-leauger who can come in should Ivan go down. Ivan and Vicks will be the number 1 combination, and rightly so. Half the names bandied around on this thread will not want to come to Richmond and play twos all year.

Also, Todd Elton may put pressure on Vicks for the second ruck/forward option in the next couple of years, if he comes on a bit.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
I think we should just bring in a big, competitive state-leauger who can come in should Ivan go down.

Like Derrickx?

tony_montana

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
I think we should just bring in a big, competitive state-leauger who can come in should Ivan go down.

Like Derrickx?

Will go past gus in 2013, takes a long time to get over a broken ankle.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57:37 AM »
He couldn't get a kick in a street fight mate. He might get delisted still :lol

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2012, 12:12:24 PM »

Like Derrickx?

'competitive'......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »

Like Derrickx?

Will go past gus in 2013, takes a long time to get over a broken ankle.

He could be on crutches and would still go past Gus.

the claw

« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »

Like Derrickx?
putting the player aside yes like derickx. lets go thru a similar process its the way to go. like all types from each system ie nd rookie retread afl or mature state league you get failures. seems to me mature state league have a higher hit ratio than 18 yo  rookies  retreads  and late nd picks.

how about we say like giles. dominated his state league finished hih in b&fs and had the attributes to play afl.
while derickx may not have dominated  wafl like giles he did stand out in a pretty good side.
ya never know derickx while not showing much at afl level has been retained he may take a step up he has had a fair bit of injury.

every recruit we take no matter where we take em there is always a bit of woulda/coulda/shoulda about them.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
Giles had already been on an AFL list and a lot of people thought he was stiff to get delisted. I don't have a problem with giving a state league player a shot as long as they're dominating their comp. Right now it looks like people want to recruit blokes who couldn't even carry Graham's bag let alone be back up to Maric.

How many #1 ruckman in the comp that weren't drafted as a kid?

the claw

« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
Giles had already been on an AFL list and a lot of people thought he was stiff to get delisted. I don't have a problem with giving a state league player a shot as long as they're dominating their comp. Right now it looks like people want to recruit blokes who couldn't even carry Graham's bag let alone be back up to Maric.

How many #1 ruckman in the comp that weren't drafted as a kid?
fact is giles went back to state league and proved his worth he showed he was worthy of another shot.

how about this personally probably wouldnt do it as i reckon some good kids will still be there at 50.

theres talk of north melbourne wanting pick 36 from geelong  for mcintosh. geelong only offering up their pick 55.  theres also talk of them nm being interested in graham.
why dont we give em graham and pick 50 for mcintosh. it would be a low cost short term solution to our ruck problems.

another option would be and im only throwing it out there not saying we should do it we offer geelong pick 31 for say dawson simpson geelong can then offer 31 to nm for mcintosh.
just a few thoughts on possibilities.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
Some good theories there claw, I like it. Can we fit Mcintosh, Ivan and Vickery in the same side though? Especially if they bring in the 2-2 sub thing?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
I guess with Giles staying at GWS now, Macintosh is the only other reasonable experienced ruck alternative left but why would he come to Richmond and end up in the same place in the pecking order as he currently is at Nort?

the claw

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
I guess with Giles staying at GWS now, Macintosh is the only other reasonable experienced ruck alternative left but why would he come to Richmond and end up in the same place in the pecking order as he currently is at Nort?
yeah that is a problem he wants to play first ruck. so scenario two maybe.
only trouble is ive not seen much of simpson. hes  a 23yo 206cm 109kg  monster. played 3 afl games i saw two of them and he looked real promising. i also think this yr was ruined by injury.
what is his real worth is the queston for me is he worth pick 31.
imo hes supposed to be geelongs #1 ruckman in time with vardy being the ruck/forward. they think they still have a decent window of opportunity hence they want a ready to go mcintosh.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »

Like Derrickx?

Derickx is definitely the right type to go for.

Is he a complete write off yet BTW? No convinced he is.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »

Like Derrickx?

He has been considered to have been one of Coburg's best players once or twice in 2 years. For a 25 year old on an AFL list that is just not good enough. He doesn't do enough at VFL level for me to believe he could be a decent option in the AFL. The club gave him a few games and he averaged maybe 5 touches. I think there's a chance he could get the arse in a few weeks

the claw

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »

Like Derrickx?

He has been considered to have been one of Coburg's best players once or twice in 2 years. For a 25 year old on an AFL list that is just not good enough. He doesn't do enough at VFL level for me to believe he could be a decent option in the AFL. The club gave him a few games and he averaged maybe 5 touches. I think there's a chance he could get the arse in a few weeks
yeah your probably right there. hes done nothing to suggest he can take the next step. the one thing that may be his saving grace is injury. didnt he break his ankle big blokes can take a long time to get over that type of injury even when healed.