Author Topic: Sam Lonergan [merged]  (Read 14580 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sam Lonergan [merged]
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2013, 11:11:57 PM »
Won't have to see him again thank god

Agree, but he was the least of our problems tonight.  Have a crack at the real culprits, not Lonergan.

It's a long list

:yep   :help

the claw

« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2013, 12:01:29 AM »
lol hes another dud.
as i said when we rookied him why take an inside mid with no skills is as slow as a wet wick and cant find the ball. geez sammy dwyer is looking good right now.
geez im lamenting the loss of the no more poor kicks mantra.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »
Of all hard wick and co. Decisions the drafting and selection in the senior team of this plodder has to be the most outrageous.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2013, 10:27:55 PM »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
Getting caught in possession by Jetta in the last was so typical of our night and lamentably his footy talent. Kid was underdone too but he was less than ordinary to be truthful.:help

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »
Getting caught in possession by Jetta in the last was so typical of our night and lamentably him. :help

I don't agree with a lot of things hardwick has done and to be honest the list is growing by the day, but IMO to play this spud on Saturday was his worst match day selection I have seen from him in 4 years.

How can he expect the Coburg players to buy in when he rewarded this hack. To think we didn't even attempt to trade for Brett Maloney yet secured this d grader is criminal.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:07 AM »
     http://www.compymcputer.com/uploads/16983817071271652.jpg           

Not sure if this is a fake account. Doubt it.

Clearly says at top of profile if you go on it on computer. (fake account)  :lol

Rampstar

« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:25 AM »
another spot on the list that should have been given to a kid.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
lol hes another dud.
as i said when we rookied him why take an inside mid with no skills is as slow as a wet wick and cant find the ball. geez sammy dwyer is looking good right now.
geez im lamenting the loss of the no more poor kicks mantra.

:lol
Changed your tune since you said he was a lock to be upgraded from the rookie list without playing a game?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
I doubt claw was ever pro Sam lnergAn

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
the moon is not made of green cheese
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2013, 07:36:01 PM »
lol hes another dud.
as i said when we rookied him why take an inside mid with no skills is as slow as a wet wick and cant find the ball.

And yet you were hell-bent on us getting Moloney... who wanted 6x the money that Lonergan is getting, and would take up a spot on the senior list.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
Meanwhile arnot had 27 possies at vfl,  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sam Lonergan leaving game on his terms (The Examiner)
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Lonergan leaving game on his terms
By Alex Fair
The Examiner (Tasmania)
Nov. 7, 2013

IT WAS only about a week ago while on holiday in Bali with his partner, Kirrie, that Sam Lonergan decided his time as an AFL player was over.

After 79 games in the red and black, and two more with a yellow sash, enough was enough.
See your ad here

All at the relatively young football age of 26, and with the knowledge that Richmond wanted his services for at least another season.

However, the 50th pick in the 2005 national draft made the decision knowing he could leave the game on his terms.

This option was something that was almost denied after Essendon surprisingly delisted Lonergan at the end of 2012, before Richmond offered a lifeline through the rookie draft.

``It has been a really tough past 24 months, so it was really the right time to move on and start a new chapter of my life,'' the hard-at-it midfielder said.

``We had spoken about another year at Richmond as a rookie, but once you start double questioning things, you're not going to get the best out of yourself.

``I worked hard for eight years to leave a standard and a reputation as someone in the AFL system that works really hard and does all the right things, and as I didn't feel I could tick all those boxes, I didn't want to ruin everything from the last eight years with six months of slipping off the ball.''

While the decision is one for his immediate well-being, it is also tactically based, as the former Launceston player hopes to return to the big league in the future.

However, this would be in an off-field capacity, hopefully as an assistant coach.

``Leaving a year early will hopefully put me in good stead for a few years down the track, and the way people remember me,'' he said.

``If I were to take my foot off the pedal a little bit this upcoming season, it could change people's mindset, so I wanted to leave the game knowing I'd given everything and that I'm the type of person that AFL clubs would want to have back one day.

``I'm 110 per cent sure I dragged everything possible from my body and my ability that I could, which allowed me to survive eight seasons in the system.''

The SANFL is Lonergan's next likely destination, where the Beauty Point product hopes to get his first experience as a playing assistant coach.

He said his AFL debut (in round 15, 2006), his Anzac Day games (including the 2009 win over Collingwood) and his Richmond debut (against his old club in round 9) would always stand out for him.

``That [last] game was pretty special as I was down and out, having left Essendon and coming off severe ankle surgery,'' he said.

``I fought pretty hard for that game. I might have only played one or two games at Richmond, but they were the ones that allowed me to put some icing on the cake of my career and allow me to walk away proud of what I achieved.''

Lonergan was thankful for the support  he received from family and friends in Tasmania during his time in the AFL, saying it played a huge role in him reaching the highest level.

The extra free time on his hands will also allow him to see more of his nephew, Gold Coast midfielder Jesse Lonergan.

``I'll get up there more and visit him now, more so as an uncle rather than anything to do with footy and just be the family support mechanism now,'' he said.

RECRUITED FROM: Launceston Football Club.

DOB: 26/03/1987.

DRAFTED: Pick 50 2005 national draft (to Essendon), pick 22 rookie draft to Richmond.
See your ad here

GAMES: 81 (79 at Essendon, 2 at Richmond).

GOALS: 39 (39 at Essendon, 0 at Richmond).

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1892148/lonergan-leaving-game-on-his-terms/?cs=385

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
When I think of players who leave the game "on their terms" this blokes name doesn't exactly jump out at me.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”