Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904311 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"It's a ruthless business": Would Tigers let Dusty leave? (SEN)
« Reply #5775 on: July 11, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »
“IT IS A RUTHLESS BUSINESS”: WOULD TIGERS LET DUSTY LEAVE AND HOW WOULD SWANS TRADE FOR HIM?

By Seb Mottram
SEN
11 July 2022

Discussing the scenario, SEN chief reporter Sam Edmund confirmed he was warming to the idea of Martin leaving.

However, Port Adelaide Hall of Famer Kane Cornes implored Richmond to hold the Brownlow Medallist to his contract.

The two discussed how Martin could move clubs if he chose to, despite him still having two years to run on a seven-year deal reportedly in the range of $1.2m to $1.3m per season.

Martin missed Gold Coast's loss to Richmond with a hamstring injury but remains a chance to play this weekend against North Melbourne.

Read the full transcript between Edmund and Cornes below:

Cornes: “Are you warming to this as well (Martin to Sydney)?”

Edmund: “Yes, absolutely.”

Cornes: “How does this work? Firstly, can they afford him?”

Edmund: “No, but I think what would happen is you would stretch the contract. He’s got two years to run on a lucrative contract, make it four, it gets him to 35. I think we can all see Dusty (Martin) playing until 35, so that’s one option.”

“The other option is Richmond - like we’re talking about with Brodie Grundy (and Collingwood) - maybe (they could) chip in a little bit as well (and pay some of Martin's contract), get a little bit more draft capital back. It’s hard to see that scenario… (but) it’s a lever to engineer the move.”

Cornes: “Why would they do that?”

Edmund: “Because (if) Dusty says (he) wants to leave and Damien Hardwick has already said he’ll go with our blessing, well is he going with their blessing or not?”

Cornes: “What I’m saying to Richmond is he shouldn’t be going with your blessing.”

Edmund: “So you’d hold him to ransom? After everything he’s done?”

Cornes: “Yeah, of course you should. It is a ruthless business, (they should say), ‘you are staying here, we gave you a seven-year contract, we made you the highest-paid player in the history of the club, we are not going to pay you to play for someone else just because you’ve been good to us’.”

Edmund: “(That’s) cold.”

Cornes: “No, I’m not cold at all, we are too nice at times in this industry. So what do they get back for him, he’s a contracted player, he’s 31.”

Edmund: “It’s a good debate, he’s hard to value.”

Cornes: “You’d want to be getting something pretty good for him.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/11/it-is-a-ruthless-business-would-tigers-let-dusty-leave-and-how-would-swans/

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5776 on: July 11, 2022, 02:29:53 PM »
Agree we shouldn’t even contemplate paying a pet of his salary unless the deal coming back our way (players/picks) are strong enough to offset this.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5777 on: July 11, 2022, 04:27:55 PM »
SYDNEY MYTH BUSTED AS GREAT MAKES $5M DUSTY CALL

Will Dustin Martin request a move to Sydney at season’s end? It’s the million dollar question in AFL circles currently going around.

A $2.4 million question to be more specific given the Tigers superstar is contracted for two more seasons at Punt Road on that sum.

Sydney CEO Tom Harley played down his club’s interest in Martin this week, insisting “there has been no conversations with Dustin.”

It comes after Martin spent time in Sydney during his personal leave from Richmond earlier this season while mourning the death of his father, Shane.

Looking at the potential acquisition of Martin from a Swans perspective, three-time All-Australian Nick Dal Santo said he’d welcome him with open arms.

“Yes please, and you look at this group where they’re currently at... we all accept to some degree they are really good and will be even better in the future. They’re somewhere around the mark,” Dal Santo said on Fox Footy Live.

“I don’t think they can win the premiership this year, but you see this as a step by step process of where they were last year, where they are right now.

“If Dustin was on the table would you not be silly to not ask the question?

“Dusty is not where he was a couple of years ago, but he’s still a really good player. They sell this lifestyle: ‘Get away from the world tucked up there, no one knows you when you wall down the street’ — that’s Dustin every day of the week, he would love that.”

However Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy suggested being such a big name, a move to Sydney wouldn’t necessarily take Martin out of the spotlight.

“Buddy (Franklin) thought that thought then he went up there, and he was on the front page the day he walked in and the next six weeks,” he said.

“I think anonymity is a bit of a myth for people as big as Dusty, that’s why he gets paid millions of dollars to wear jocks and sell underwear. He’s not just known in Melbourne, he’s known right around Australia. Dusty would be a big name the minute he walked into Sydney if they could make it happen.”

Healy believes while in theory landing Martin would be a great coup for Sydney, salary cap pressure might not make it possible.

“I think there’s a lot more discussion around it than there is reality, and the reality is how do you fit him into the salary cap? Everyone says, ‘would you want Dusty?’ Yeah, I’d want Dusty, but how do you do it?” he posed.

“Chad Warner is coming through, he’s going to be demanding some top dollar very shortly. The ‘Lizard’ (Nick Blakey) is gong to be demanding some top dollar if he keeps on putting on the blizzard, and there’s some other kids we don’t quite know how well they’re going.

“They’ve already got (Callum) Mills on big money, (Isaac) Heeney on big money, Buddy is on big money — (he’s) going to come back a fair bit, I know. But when you’re talking about a bloke who’s on $1.2 million.

“We can all fantasise about having Dusty kicking the ball, coming out of the centre... but whether it happens or not, I think it’s more unlikely than likely.”

Martin missed the Tigers’ loss to Gold Coast on Saturday due to a hamstring strain in a rare injury setback for the 31-year old.

Given Martin’s durability across his 13 seasons in the league, Lions great Jonathan Brown would “absolutely” offer him a five-year deal worth $1 million per season.

“He’s been healthy throughout his career, obviously he had that contact injury last year when he hurt his kidney, but his legs have been healthy all throughout,” he said on Best On Ground.

“Maybe he wants to be reinvigorated by getting out of the footy bubble in Melbourne. Offer him five years, you’d get a solid five out of him no doubt about it.

“Now can you fit him into the salary cap with Buddy Franklin, who’d have to take a fair haircut? It could be GWS, they’d be in the running.”

Brown also pondered why only the Sydney clubs are in the conversation, questioning if other teams including the Suns could enter the race.

“I wonder if the Suns have a little bit of cash floating around?” He posed.

“He’s got a couple of old teammates there, Mabior Chol and Brandon Ellis. I’m not so sure about just the Sydney Swans being in this race.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-round-17-talking-points-analysis-reaction-highlights-results-wrap-finals-top-eight-predictions-ladder/news-story/827fe5011a06ef160656b74928c705a6

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5778 on: July 11, 2022, 08:06:50 PM »
5 years on $1mil given his recent output? No stuffing way.

I don't think any club should be offering him more than about $2.7mil for 3 years. Only an extra $300k than what he's contracted for but based on current form you couldn't ask for much more imo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5779 on: July 11, 2022, 11:59:18 PM »
Ralph Carr tweeted this tonight about loyalty.

https://twitter.com/RalphCarrRCM/status/1546396449591955457

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5780 on: July 12, 2022, 08:57:28 AM »
Ralph Carr tweeted this tonight about loyalty.

https://twitter.com/RalphCarrRCM/status/1546396449591955457
That could mean Player or Club

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5781 on: July 12, 2022, 09:15:47 AM »
Don't wanna see him playing elsewhere but honestly don't know if it's that bad if we can free up that cap space.

Once Shedda or Lambo retire we could make offers to Taranto and Hopper and still have change left over.

If Jack retired as well (3 is a lot in one year I know, probz too much) but we could secure Fogarty as well. Key forward sorted somewhat and midfield depth sorted

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5782 on: July 12, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
Based on that tweet Dusty stays at Richmond. Ive thought long and hard about what trading Dusty means. For me Im 52 now the head says yeah lets go and see what we can get, loyalty means nothing but the 13 year old me was devastated when I saw Geoff Raines in a collingwood jumper. We had made the same mistakes years earlier in our chase for John Pitura. The lesson ... dont wreck the fabric that binds your club

Trading out, selling our superstars back (raines cloke wood) then turned out badly, left in the footballing wilderness for decades, having lost meaning as a club and pride in who we were and what we stood for.

Lets show some loyalty to a young man who has repaid his contract many times over. Anything else not even first round picks will be worth it and all those kids with no4 on their jumper theyll learn something too - that loyalty counts for a lot in football and that for us as a club it will count for a lot when they grow up like us having taught their kids that Richmond, The Tigers is the only club they can go for!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5783 on: July 12, 2022, 04:40:00 PM »
Based on that tweet Dusty stays at Richmond. Ive thought long and hard about what trading Dusty means. For me Im 52 now the head says yeah lets go and see what we can get, loyalty means nothing but the 13 year old me was devastated when I saw Geoff Raines in a collingwood jumper. We had made the same mistakes years earlier in our chase for John Pitura. The lesson ... dont wreck the fabric that binds your club

Trading out, selling our superstars back (raines cloke wood) then turned out badly, left in the footballing wilderness for decades, having lost meaning as a club and pride in who we were and what we stood for.

Lets show some loyalty to a young man who has repaid his contract many times over. Anything else not even first round picks will be worth it and all those kids with no4 on their jumper theyll learn something too - that loyalty counts for a lot in football and that for us as a club it will count for a lot when they grow up like us having taught their kids that Richmond, The Tigers is the only club they can go for!

Dusty only going if he wants to.

Raines wanted out because he was peeed off about Maurice being on $80k and he was on something like $30k.

Can't do much more than offer them money and games, support them etc. If they want to move on you've just got to optimise the outcome for the club and player.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5784 on: July 12, 2022, 05:48:41 PM »

Could not have put it better. I was the same as you - Geoff Raines was the first number on the back of my duffle coat and that was when he had the number 40. I was numb when he left.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5785 on: July 12, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »
Pretty well said Ramps.

Look at the Hawks. Absolutely fallen off a cliff. Yet Cats and Swans continue to stay top 8.
Go Tigers!

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5786 on: July 12, 2022, 08:34:46 PM »
Yes, ruined us  and we lost our soul in that era
Morris, Raines Wood, Cloke, whale , Jackson , Teasdale , Jabba Taylor etc
 pee on the monuments of the club and you lose it’s soul

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5787 on: July 13, 2022, 03:49:03 AM »
Hugo talking about Dusty ...

"He can't shoot!" 🤣

When it comes to basketball, Hugo Ralphsmith is confident in a one-on-one game against Dusty!

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1546804086678335488

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5788 on: July 13, 2022, 09:45:44 PM »
Mark Robinson, who broke the Franklin story, said the contract situation could allow the Swans to make a play for Richmond superstar Dustin Martin.

Despite Swans CEO Tom Harley denying any contact with Martin or his manager, rumours of a potential trade continue to linger.

“You’re not in the game until you’re in the game,” Robinson said on AFL360.

“To get Martin, who is about $1.3 million on his contract at the moment, they’ve got to find salary cap room.

“They’re wiping a hell of a lot off (Franklin). To get Martin, they’ve got to have room in their salary cap.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/where-would-he-go-the-two-finals-contenders-who-could-benefit-from-buddy/news-story/985abebb623a18db9da7bfa8add7045b

Robbo also said he tried to contact Ralph Carr who is in Los Angeles. Robbo said his understanding is there hasn't been any contact.

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1547155684008964096

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5789 on: July 13, 2022, 10:34:35 PM »
All this gossip ignores what Dusty actually wants and what we could/would get in return from Sydney. The Swans have two first rounders (their own and Melbourne's) but both will likely be late first rounders. Even if Buddy retires and Dusty said he wanted to leave, no way would we give up Dusty without getting at least an early first round pick or one of the Swans youngsters like an Errol Gulden or Logan McDonald in return. The Swans don't have that early pick nor would they want to give up one of their young guns. There would need to be another club involved. GWS is the obvious one as we're apparently showing interest in a couple of their mids but why would they help their cross town rivals and in any case they could deal directly with us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd