Author Topic: 'We aren't quite used to having no crowds': Cotch (afl/Age)  (Read 1087 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers are desperate to work their way out of a form slump that has left the premiers in 14th spot with a draw against Collingwood and defeats against Hawthorn and St Kilda since the season resumed after the COVID-19 break.

Several reasons have been offered, from a potential lack of hunger after two flags and a preliminary final in the past three years, to a lack of on-field pace and a game plan that has been worked out by rivals. Saints great Nick Riewoldt has even questioned whether their "behaviour" of sharing a joke before and during matches is the right attitude to have when a team is losing.

"They have been a really upbeat team. We have seen jokes in pre-games and at half-time and that is all good when you are winning. I wonder whether it's the sort of behaviour that you need when you are trying to work your way out of a form slump. They will be asking themselves all these questions internally," Riewoldt said on Fox Footy's On the Couch.

Cotchin, however, provided his own insight, and in doing so endorsed what club chief executive Brendon Gale had indicated on Monday, that they were "learning to accept that the environment is different" and were struggling to deal with playing in empty stadiums without the ability to feed off the Tiger Army.

"We are really blessed as the Richmond footy club to have such amazing support. In reality, to a lot of different clubs, we aren't quite used to having no noise at a stadium," he said.

"I don't think that is an excuse or a reason as to why we are not performing quite to the level. But all these things add up. We have got a range of experience within our team. Guys deal with things differently. We are just working through that to ensure come Sunday, hopefully, we are in far better place than we were last Saturday [against the Saints] and a lot better place than we were the Thursday prior [against Hawthorn]."

Cotchin said it was up to the players to "create your own energy".

"I know that on TV and so forth it is a little bit different because there is different sounds to what they can apply to what is going on but being there, it's a totally different environment but we now know what it looks and feels like and can adjust to," he said.

The Tigers have not won a first term since the season resumed. They need more production from several players, including Dustin Martin, who is averaging a modest 20.67 disposals – five less than his career average – and has only the one goal (against the Blues) in his three matches. He had a modest 18 touches against the Saints.

Shai Bolton is the leading goal-kicker with seven while fellow small forward Jason Castagna and key tall Tom Lynch have six apiece. Jack Riewoldt has 4.6.

Despite a loss to the Saints in round four, Cotchin is confident the tide has already started to turn and the team will be back to their best when they face Melbourne.

"Last week's game, albeit St Kilda came and played really well, ... was an improvement on the week before," Cotchin said.

"And these things do take a week or two to come into full effect."

Sources: Age & AFL websites.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 'We aren't quite used to having no crowds': Cotch (afl/Age)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:55 PM »
Love Cotch but hearing to much crap exuses no crowd,opting out of hubs etc etc.Had plenty of time to adjust deal with like other clubs a doing with it.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »
Pretty lame excuse re the crowd's.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »
I think it is having some effect...we play in front of big crowds more than most clubs and thrive on them more than most.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
If your going to rely on crowd get you up well might as well call this season a bust.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
It is a bust.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
Sorry give me a break.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 07:38:54 AM »
Lots of excuses - that’s what’s unrichmond like dimma
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Seasons over. Lets get some draft picks.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 07:36:24 AM »
If your going to rely on crowd get you up well might as well call this season a bust.

Wayne Carey said a couple of weeks ago over the radio that not only do crowds spur players to do great acts but they also deter players from under performing. I believe that not having crowds at our matches is affecting the team's performance. It is not an excuse as the players are professionals but it does provide an explanation or a partial explanation as to why they appear flat. Richmond teams for as long as I have supported the club have thrived on crowd support. There are countless examples of our crowds lifting the players and of Richmond teams surging as a result of deafening support from the crowd.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 09:01:27 AM »
no. Its a cop out.

I dont care about not winning a flag this year, as they have provided me with a lot of joy over the last 3 years, but i want to see us compete. The excuses i am hearing are rubbish if you ask me.

There are people doing it tough out there, who paid hard earned money for memberships, and they moaning about crowds? Well we want to go to but we cant, so pull your finder out and start winning some games or people out there will unfortunately drop off next year.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »
“It was pretty good to run out and actually have a crowd. Obviously, haven’t had it for a while, so it was great to see the fans in here. We’ve got the best fans in the land.” - Tom Lynch.

Read more: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/742560/tigers-thrilled-with-tiger-army-return

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 04:29:49 PM »
I miss the booing at the umpires