Author Topic: Brereton says secrets are hard to keep in the AFL (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1949 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brereton says secrets are hard to keep in the AFL
Dermott Brereton | August 01, 2008

WHY is it that for however many hundreds of years the Freemasons have been in existence, we never hear a leak of information? Why we never hear a shred of news or even the slightest hint of what their secret handshake is?

The Masons have thousands upon thousands of members, but try to find a secret about the organisation and you'll hit a dead end very quickly.

They are so guarded of their secrets that it's a secret who's a member.

So with thousands of members around the world, how can the Masons keep a secret, yet with a membership of a dozen or fewer, the Richmond Football Club board can't?

Late on Sunday the Tigers issued a media release saying they were parting company with football director Greg Miller. Of course, the whole world knew by then.

The club board apparently made the decision to sack Miller last week but wanted to keep it secret until Miller was told face to face. Unfortunately, someone on the board couldn't keep it to themselves for that long.

It's not as if the Tigers' board is the only one that has ever leaked. Having been a part of the board at Hawthorn for nine years, we too occasionally had to deal with leaks from within.

As a board member, it is hard to stomach when the board makes a hard decision and resolves to keep it stitched up as a water-tight secret because of a necessary time frame, and then have the media reveal your secret before you have the chance to institute it.

It is a betrayal. It goes against the grain of everything you want your football staff to teach to your playing personnel.

As a board, you ultimately employ all paid positions at the football club and you expect loyalty, but all too frequently you are unable to deliver the same in return.

Love him or hate him as Collingwood president, Eddie McGuire is to be admired. In a world of football clubs that leak like sieves, McGuire's Collingwood board is the tightest.

Eddie promised that if any inside information leaked from Collingwood, the culprit would be found regardless of how long all the suspects had to sit in a room. When found, the guilty party would face instant dismissal.

In a land where the media eats up Collingwood's slightest move because the Magpies sell newspapers like few others, we hear no information ever leaks. It is a credit to McGuire and his board.

There are a few reasons why some people leak information from a football club board.

Leaks can be used to destabilise another faction on the board or within the club that is viewed as an enemy.

Leaked information can be used as an upcoming story that the leaker feels is of benefit and interest to the club. More or less an early revelation of a feel-good story.

Rarely is it an old-fashioned journalistic scoop where a reporter overhears a piece of important information in whispered tones.

However, sometimes a board member feels they "owe" a member of the media or has an alliance and friendship with the newshound.

The rarest, but most insidious, of all leaks comes from the "liniment sniffers" - people who get intoxicated with the profile of being a visible mover and shaker within an AFL club.

These people are the board version of a pyromaniac. They sit back and watch all the carnage they have started and derive some sort of pleasure from feeling that they have had power to start the fire.

It is rare, but don't think it doesn't happen.

I don't know which category covers the Richmond gaffe, but my view is it is highly unlikely it was the work of a liniment sniffer or the overhearing of a poorly chosen whisper.

Former Hawthorn president Ian Dicker was bewildered by the media's ability to guess secret meeting places and a couple of our particular strategies within the board.

He narrowed down the possibilities. On one hand, it could have been amazingly accurate predictions by the media. And on the other, a semi-regular leak within our board.

Dicker was so loyal to his board members he had the boardroom swept for bugs before trying to find the source of the leak. As we expected, nothing was found.

It was a strange feeling of relief when I had some personal information about myself circulated in the media. It took the microscope off me. It would be peculiar to divulge embarrassing private information about yourself to the media.

But that is how destabilising a leak within the board can be.

Even though you know you have had no part in the wrong-doing, you feel as though you will be painted with the same brush as the person who made the leak - especially if no one knows who that was.

But then again, perhaps you should be, too, because a board should be a single entity made up of different skill sets and different voices. It is only as strong as its weakest link.

Determining the source of a leak is usually best started with working backwards from the journalist who spread the word and then ascertaining who could possibly gain most from the fiasco.

I don't envy the innocent Richmond board members, because Tiger supporters deserve better.

If decisions are made by the board with the club's best interests at heart, those decisions should be made in silence and then clinically administered.

Whether the axing of Miller was right or wrong, Richmond supporters have reason to feel aggrieved that a media personality who lives 2500km away predicted such an event seven days before it happened.

I'm not sitting in judgment as a former cleanskin board member. Quite the contrary, the board I sat on leaked as well.

But we learnt from our mistakes. Richmond hasn't and doesn't.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24107720-19742,00.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Brereton says secrets are hard to keep in the AFL (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 05:20:59 AM »
Just takes one to brand a group  :banghead That is why I believe an example must be made, send out a clear warning if youv'e got a big mouth you no longer have a job (forever) at richmond...... :banghead :banghead No sympathy no mercy

Moi

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Just takes one to brand a group  :banghead That is why I believe an example must be made, send out a clear warning if youv'e got a big mouth you no longer have a job (forever) at richmond...... :banghead :banghead No sympathy no mercy
People just get off on being big noters - anyone we know  ::) - and will get on websites, ring up all their mates just to try and impress.
They just don't realise the damage it does or in this case who it could offend.  I'm sure this whole episode could have been handled a lot better had someone not leaked.
There are some people you just wouldn't want to hire. And once someone's branded like that, keep them away from the club.

PS:  I think Dermie's really getting off on our faux pas this week.  I hope we knock them out of the finals  :thumbsup

Offline shannon

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:49:06 AM »
People just get off on being big noters - anyone we know  ::) - and will get on websites, ring up all their mates just to try and impress.
They just don't realise the damage it does or in this case who it could offend.  I'm sure this whole episode could have been handled a lot better had someone not leaked.
There are some people you just wouldn't want to hire. And once someone's branded like that, keep them away from the club.

PS:  I think Dermie's really getting off on our faux pas this week.  I hope we knock them out of the finals  :thumbsup

i agree moi, why did dermie write this article after he has been mocking us all week?
DELEDIO FOR CAPTAIN ASAP!

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:04:09 AM »

LOL, your funny Moi.
How am I to blame if people in positions of power want to confide and ask my views on things. ::)
Also, why do the club repeatedly contact the press with stories, WHY ? to discredit there workmates.
I dont agree with the way things are down there and changes are going to be made.
RFC is a shamble.   .More sackings to come. You better go and take some medication quick.

Confide?

Do you know what the word means?

1. To tell (something) in confidence: confided a secret to his friend.
2. To give as a responsibility or put into another's care; entrust: confided the task of drafting the report to her assistant.
To disclose private matters in confidence: He knew he could confide in his parents.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confide

jackstar

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »

LOL, your funny Moi.
How am I to blame if people in positions of power want to confide and ask my views on things. ::)
Also, why do the club repeatedly contact the press with stories, WHY ? to discredit there workmates.
I dont agree with the way things are down there and changes are going to be made.
RFC is a shamble.   .More sackings to come. You better go and take some medication quick.

Confide?

2. To give as a responsibility or put into another's care; entrust: confided the task of drafting the report to her assistant.
To disclose private matters in confidence: He knew he could confide in his parents.

Not my fault RFC confide in the press, lol

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:12:44 AM »

LOL, your funny Moi.

Confide?

Now you're part of the press as well?

:bow

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »
Dermott Brereton  :sleep
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Moi

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:09:08 AM »
LMAO@Jack assuming I was talking about him
I was, but funny anyway  :rollin

jackstar

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:26:44 AM »

Well its no secret I usually find out whats going Moi. RFC is like the titantic, leaks everywhere as we have just witnessed
Whats your problem dear?? Medication hasnt set in yet.
Get used to changes at punt road, it has too happen and it will.

Moi

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »

Well its no secret I usually find out whats going Moi. RFC is like the titantic, leaks everywhere as we have just witnessed
Whats your problem dear?? Medication hasnt set in yet.
Get used to changes at punt road, it has too happen and it will.
Don't have to get used to anything, Jack.
I just go with the flow!
Don't cause trouble, unlike some, when they don't get their way  ;)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »

Wasnt the board that leaked.

It was Schwab himself.

Didnt the news come from Perth to begin with.....Gossage?

Moi

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »

Wasnt the board that leaked.

It was Schwab himself.

Didnt the news come from Perth to begin with.....Gossage?
Excellent point  :thumbsup
Although it could have been someone he confided in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
The leak could have come from Perth but Gossage was making out it was positive news - some big name was coming to the club that would rock the footy world. March is close to Gossage.

But we learnt from our mistakes. Richmond hasn't and doesn't.
The article was reasonable until this ridiculous last line.

You mean Dermie like Hawthorn again opening their big mouths saying they're going to  win the flag well before the finals :whistle. Or how about having a Prez who compares gay trainers to pedophiles  ::). Or even how about Buddy's goalkicking which is getting worse by the week  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »

LOL, your funny Moi.

Confide?

So people confide in you Jack. That's great! Do they then tell you to go around and tell the world?

When you get told things in confidence Jack - it shouldn't go any further....unless of course these people are asking you to do it and if they are  :banghead

No correct me if I am wrong and I will apologise if I am but you have intermated that your info is coming from the board (you said that on Sunday night on the MIller is gone thread), then I am not sure which is worse the fact they are telling you or the fact you can't wait to post it...

People want your opinion fine but struth it really shouldn't go any further. should it ... your in the business world you know the rules

then again perhaps my views are skewed and it really is just me :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)