Author Topic: Robbo's blog: What's wrong at Tigerland?  (Read 304 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Robbo's blog: What's wrong at Tigerland?
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
5500 readers logged onto the Herald-Sun site for 2 hours to chat about us with Robbo. Well at least we are still popular  ;D.

Full blog here:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25332030-19742,00.html

Some snippets:

hello all and such an easy target first up. Tambling simply hasn't played to the expectation placed on him. Sometingh liek 70-odd games   and ojnly, I think four games with more than 20 touches. Was tired on the weekend because his wife had just had a baby. But was told not more than 10 minutes ago than way back when most of us were not born, Alex Jesaulenko's wife had a baby on friday n ight, he flew interstate to play for the Vics on Satruday and kicked 12. So much for post-baby excuses.
Fair point [blogger said Richie shouldn't have played]... But   that's why it is a flimsy excuse. First gamers don't sleep either but they don't get excuses.
Not a great game from him, we all agree, and as said in this morning's papaer, TW's patience must be wearing.. I like RT, but whenever he plays a a bad game, or a series of bad games, everyone always mentions Buddy, who went after RT in the draft.

Let's say it up front, TW is in trouble. O-3 is not a surprise, but the lack of intensity in Rd 1 and skill level in Rd 3 puts him a bigger hole than just being 0-3. In the end the coach is responsible for everything, most specially the lack of skill level in his group.

Well, to be honest, the last six flags have been won by six different clubs, so his [Sheeds'] point was a team can be struggling one year and possibly win it the next

The playes are not skilled enough by foot. They can porbably do it at training but they succumb in pressure situations. Who's fault is that? Recruiters recruiting the wrong players, the development leg is not working, the players are mentally weak. hard to put a finger on one thing. maybe it's all of the above. That said, I think the Tigers are not totally down and out..
Recruiting is crucial, and so is devleopment. It's just that Richmond's recruiting has been plainly obviously wrong in some cases, it can't be ignored.
good coaching panel and good development structures... why is that some clubs' youth seem to progress v quickly while others are stagnant. Is it money? Resources? or the people involved. Am not having a go at Richmond here, but the Crows and Coll do seem to have ready-made players when the kids get the call-up...

Mental preparation! Could be the players are not confident enough to play instinctively around TW. Could be that is crap and the players are using anything for an excuse. From what i know of TW he is not a coach that rips into players every week. He has and will, but he knows he has to lift their confidence. What would you do this week if you were TW? Rip them or encourage them, or warn them, simply lay it on the line...

Mixing skill and endeavor is always dangerous. I look at Richmond and see one style or effort one week and a different mindset the next. Trying, or having a crack, or whatever you want to call it, must be unconditional. Then we'll look at how we want to play, or more importantly, how we want to set up to gives us the best chance at victory

the hardness is an issue. Again, there is no consistency. Against carlton it was poor, agst Geelong it was good and yesterday was in between with no skill.

Gameplan? -  the handballing on monday was terrible... you are right.. they put so much pressure on their teammates. It would help if they had another key forward to kick it to...

Root cause? Good point Malcolm, what is fundamentally wrong with the place. Didd they loses the essence of themselve since the late 70s and early 80s, or is all rubbish and the club is no good? We need a psychologist

Edwards - Not enogh. Slight, does not impose. PLayed small forwadr and some midfield last year, was tried in the back half through the NAB and been average in three rounds   date. Would suggest the kid is in trouble to hold his spot. Still 20, and played 35 games, but you hope for more from a No.26 draftee.

JON is a goner unfortunately for him

Schulz - not consistent enough. has played 68 gamesd for 55 goals, playing mainly as a forward. Not good enough numbers

Riewoldt - Needs to lift. Is athletic, can mark, needs more goalkicking tutelage, but would love to se ehim kick five on the weekend. Has talent, but we're not seeing enough of it.

Pettifer - Career in trouble. If TW goes back to him, then there's the evidence the club has no-one young good enough to play. If KP plays and the Tigers lose, TW will be heavily criticised.

Simmonds - I don't think anyone escapes... Simmonds is under the pump as much as anyone, but the Tigers do have issues in the ruck ... who is their next ruckman?

King - ease up. he has more ticker than probasbly most people on this blog. Unfortunately for him, the skill level doesn't match the desire... he gives his all.

Wallace brought McMahon over for skills? - yes he did, but he hoped to complement him with aggressive players around him.. has not worked

Newman's captaincy? - Give him a chance, people. He deserves it. He's not one to shirk on the field and I thought it was a pretty good choice among the candidates. Leadership as a whole, however, could an issue...

Yesterday's game - fight was OK, the skill level was woeful. It dropped away so quickly after quarter-time, when the Dogs lifted their intensity. Not a good sign.

Next coach - Wayne Campbell for mine. You're thinking Sheedy but don't think that will happen.
Probably Wayne Campbellfor he is, from what I see, part of the succession plan. But footy clubs are strange beasts and I wouldn't be surprised if the club goes after Nathan Buckley
Don't think Leigh has the time nor the inclination to begin a long-term coachign role again. So bad luck.
Hardwick is a chance at Tigers, but would've thought WC was the obvious choice
There's a lot of anti-WC sentiment here. His knowledge of the game is strong, he is clear and concise when he speaks about the game, he must have a pretty good relationship withe the players for he was captainf for a long   period. I would've thoguht WC ticks a lot of boxes.

Old or young coach? - Young, fresh and vibrant. Buckley or Campbell for mine

Sack Terry? - Not now, justin. Was expected partly. However, a loss to melb   will fuel on the bonfire

Media fed? - Not really Dom, the clubs sack coaches, not the media. If Richmond was a strong club, G march would tell everyone to get stuffed. he hasn't.

Tony Free's investigations? - It's been quiet hasn't it. or the club has not made it public!!! Have the Tigers a plan re the coach or are they waiting to see what happens. I know it's only three games and they will improve, but there is a stench in the air about TW and his future

Richo the only one who plays for the jumper? - I wouldn't say that. Like Foley, Newman, they miss Coughlan, Tuck gives his all abd Richo is Richo. They do more heart players but as TW said yesterday they need goers and skilled players, a mix the Tigers have struggled to find.

I would reckon Nahas will play this week . Kicked five in the VFL...

Connors - Missed a lot of the pre-season. He will be playing this week

Don't get to see a lot of the VFL, but when I interviewed terry a month or so ago, he said Hughes had a slight injury. Still, Coburg reserves is the place you want your potential next CHF playing. Let's be realistic: Patto, Hughes, JON, etc have nto come along as planned.

What's happened to Thursfield? He's my biggest disappointment at Tigers this year. Thought he was going to be a 10-tear full-back. As it is, the Tigers are still rebuilding after five years. They are better placed than when TW took over, but 14 other clubs have improved more.

Finals? - Yes. 19 rounds to go, and all they have to do is win 12 of them. Not impossible, but not a walk in the park either.
It hasn't helped people's perceptions, but I don'tt hink Richmond are as bad as people are saying. It's just they are well and truly behind the eight ball in regards to playing finals.. On the flip side, if TW gets his team to the 8, or even 9th, it would be a pretty massive effort

Sorry, Matty but it is going to be tough from here. Most of the older players are bumbling along (Bowden, Brown), two of your best midfielders are   injured (Cotchin, Coughlan and throw in Cousins), the other two and three year players are not havnig an impact (Edwards, Tambling) and others aren't good enough (King, Schulz).

This year's finish and next flag? 10th on ladder and flag not within 15 years

Robbo - how many of the following players do you still see being on Richmond's list next season - N Brown, K Johnson, Bowden, Shultz, Tambling, McMahon, Oakley-Nicholls, McGuane, King, Tuck, Coughlan, Pettifer? 
-> Brown, tambling, mcmahon, McGuane, tuck, coughlan...