Author Topic: Take a risk Tigers, but not Lids: David King ... (SEN)  (Read 973 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Take a risk Tigers, but not Lids: David King ... (SEN)
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
Take a risk Tigers, but not Lids: David King

Joshua Papanikolaou
SEN
09 Jun 2016, 05:25PM

David King has suggested that Richmond be very bold in their decision-making regarding list management in the coming off-season but they should not trade star player Brett Deledio.

Possible ways to fix the personnel issues at Punt Road have been swirling around the media for some time as commentators consider the best way to revive or restart the Tigers squad.

Damien Hardwick is in the middle of his seventh year at the club and is yet to win a final but still insists that the core of this group will be capable of contending.

“I think they need to take some big risks to bring some quality in the door,” said King on SEN radio.

“The simple answer is trade Deledio, I’m not sure it’s that simple but they need to do something quite clever with getting some free agents, spending some money or maybe trading some players that are on big money.

“To me something needs to give, they need to get some midfield support and something of quality.

“I’ll give you one rule, you cannot recruit a player that almost immediately you are looking to get better than, a Townsend is a classic example.

“They’ve done that before with a Thomas type and they come in, then the minute they’re there you say, we need to get better than this.

“Then why the hell is he there?  Why have you spent a pick or an investment on this guy when you know he’s not taking you to the Promised Land?”

After only recently signing a contract extension it seems that Damien Hardwick will more than likely be the senior coach whether they decide to top up the list or instigate a rebuild.

“I think the dilemma for the clubs outside the eight right now is, okay which tack are we taking?” considered King.

“Are they attacking free agency like the Kangaroos did and still maintaining the quality draft picks on the way through but spending finance on Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins?

“Or are they going the other way and trading some of those stars out like St Kilda has done to jump the pecking order with high draft pick selections?”

King was critical of the Tigers’ decisions when it comes to drafting in recent years and pointed out that the club is now paying a price for missing with so many of their picks.

“Richmond sold the message last year that they were prepared to trade pick 19 for Chris Yarran – now that doesn’t tell you that we’re in a phase other than we’re here to win it,” he said.

“So once it’s gone wrong you’ve got to ask where are we at right now, and I think they’re a bit of a mystery Richmond because I get the feeling that they feel they’re in the middle bracket on the table.

“But when you look at their drafting there’s not a whole heap of quality to come through the last two or three years but they’re okay.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/06-16/take-a-risk-tigers-but-not-lids-david-king#WJbp1ySlZSgy13rT.97

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Take a risk Tigers, but not Lids: David King ... (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
Yer that makes sense.
"Take a risk" but not with a 29 year old with injury problems.
Lids is the only way we get another chance of a top 10 pick this year.

Surely he is more expendable than the other 4.
And outside of the 5, nobody else gets us a top 10 pick.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 11:51:16 PM »
Dunno if injury prone is a fair title.

If lids is the only thing worth a top ten pick that says sonething

Given the statistical evidence Richmond can't win football games without him might not be the brightest move
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 12:02:48 AM »
Dunno if injury prone is a fair title.

If lids is the only thing worth a top ten pick that says sonething

Given the statistical evidence Richmond can't win football games without him might not be the brightest move
I understand you like Lids and so do I, but at 29 and injury concerns, yes concerns, he could potentially get us a player like Dusty or Cotch for the next 10 to 12 years.
It's not an easy decision but we are in a hole and tough, unpopular decisions need be made.
We cannot just let another 5 years go by without having a "proper" crack. We will need a heap of luck but sometimes you have to make your own.
 We have turned into a pathetically soft club not willing to make tough call on players.... And coaches.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:31 AM »
It's inly another five years.
Relax
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:27:32 AM »
For me, I would keep Lids, But out of interest, suggest a couple of trade options.