Author Topic: Jobs likely to go in Tigers' den  (Read 2758 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Jobs likely to go in Tigers' den
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:07:52 AM »
By Greg Denham
The Australian
June 02, 2004

EMBATTLED Richmond president Clinton Casey revealed yesterday his plans to make significant changes at Punt Road in a bid to restore the Tigers' passion and power, on and off the field.

Casey, whose position is under threat and faces a challenge by as many as two rival factions, stressed Richmond's priorities were employing the "right" coach and recruiting/football director, a stable board and a capable new chief executive.

It was a clear indication that coach Danny Frawley and his assistants would be hard-pressed to retain their positions.

Facing a possible $2 million loss this year, Casey believes the Tigers can return a profit of as much as $500,000 by 2006, staving off the need for AFL special financial assistance from the competitive balance fund.

In an exclusive interview with The Australian yesterday, Casey outlined his vision for the club and conceded he would step down immediately if the right person became available to lead the Tigers.

"I'd like to be here for the long haul, but whatever is in the best interests of the club will happen," Casey said. "I haven't gone tired, but if somebody else comes in and has got attributes to be able to take this club to the next level, then I don't have an issue with that."

Casey indicated his new CEO-in-waiting, Leighton Wood, would appear before the full seven-member Richmond board in Melbourne this week for a second official interview, but he would not confirm a job offer.

"The short list is pretty short and we're looking through a file of eight or nine candidates to be interviewed by board members this week," he said. "We've spoken to people within the industry and to head-hunters.

"It's not a one-horse race, but having said that, no-one denies he (Wood) is a very good candidate.

"We can't hide from the position we're in at the moment.

"We appointed the wrong person (former chief executive Ian Campbell) and my No.1 priority is to replace that person with the best."

Casey said his football department, which has increased spending this year by $800,000 to $10.9m, only to be sitting 11th on the ladder after 10 rounds, would be slashed by between $500,000 to $600,000 next year.

Player payments would also be cut, from 100 per cent of the salary cap to 97 per cent over a three-year period.

"There is a school of thought the way we've done it is not the right philosophy," Casey said. "The way we're cutting the budget for next year is, this is the revenue we know we can get, therefore this is the budget we need to fit into."

He said Richmond had about 15 players coming off contract at the end of the season which would assist in reducing total player payments.

Casey said football spending was increased this year on the promise of revenue streams that did not arrive.

The club is also about to appoint an advisory board, including at least one person from outside the club, which will review the performance of the team under Frawley.

It will examine and evaluate the team, coaching, leadership, recruiting and the football department.

"We want to know the areas they have and haven't done well in, and the outcome of that will obviously be in the form of a recommendation," Casey said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9719252%255E2722,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
Re: Jobs likely to go in Tigers' den
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »
Well, I thought this was an article about the pretty young lass'es down at the tigers den in the merchandising dept... would be a shame to lose those sweet faces.

LOL

*phew*
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Jobs likely to go in Tigers' den
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 01:19:53 AM »
He (Casey) said Richmond had about 15 players coming off contract at the end of the season which would assist in reducing total player payments.

This is what we have in terms of "to when" our blokes are contracted to:

2004: (15 + 3 rookies)

Blumfield, Fleming, Fletcher, Hilton, Houlihan, Hyde, D.Kellaway (vet), Krakouer?, Marsh, Nicholls,
Ottens, Pettifer, Rogers, Schulz, Zantuck?.

Rookies: Dragga, Foley, Moore. 

2005: (19)

Archibald, Bowden?, Campbell (vet), Chaffey, Fiora, Gilmour, Hall, Hartigan, Jackson, Johnson, A.Kellaway?, Morrison?, Newman?, Raines, Roach, Rodan?, Stafford, Tuck, Weller?.

2006: (3)

Gaspar, Richardson, Tivendale.

2007: (2)

Brown, Coughlan.

------------------------------------

The ? means I have no idea ;D while the others I'm fairly sure about. It would be good to know who those 15 players are come trade time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd