Author Topic: Wallace keeps it quiet  (Read 1307 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace keeps it quiet
« on: December 21, 2007, 05:19:57 AM »
Wallace keeps it quiet
21 December 2007   Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace last night promised Tiger supporters they would see action next year rather than empty promises.

Wallace said the 2007 wooden spooner's lack of media coverage this pre-season had been a deliberate attempt to rein in several years of spruiking.

The Tigers coach painted an optimistic picture for the barely 100 Richmond fans who braved the cold to attend the club's AGM at the Regent Ballroom.

He said the club's list management had it in a perfect position for a lengthy period of success.

"I don't want to spend a long time going through where our preparation is. One thing I would suggest is that we have been extremely quiet," Wallace said.

"What we wanted to do as a group of players and coaching staff was just earn the respect of the footy world, not go out and market ourselves.

"I don't think words will change anything about what we want to do or how much fitter and stronger and better the guys have become."

The players have this week taken part in a four-day extreme training camp where the list was captured by former soldiers and subjected to sleep and food deprivation.

"The players have been doing an inordinate amount of work and preparation for the season," Wallace said.

"There were some fantastic shots that could have been on the back page of the Herald Sun of these blokes going down Taipan Wall today, a 150m mountain landscape that the guys were traversing down.

"It would have been fantastic, but what we wanted to do was do our own thing, and challenge the players and challenge ourselves without much fanfare."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22956748%255E20322,00.html

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Wallace keeps it quiet
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:49:24 AM »
This is a secret between just you and me, Victorians highest selling newspaper  :shh Keep it quiet  :shh

:lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
The players have this week taken part in a four-day extreme training camp where the list was captured by former soldiers and subjected to sleep and food deprivation.

I think that's the last thing we need!!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »

Not neccessarily Wayno!
My uncle is a Professional Body Builder and he told me a while ago that Depriving your body of food for short amounts of time ( a day or two at most!) is a really good way to strengthen your body and muscle tone if your working out in the gym in that period.

He said that when you deprive your body of food and are hittin the weights, the body burns more fat alot quicker and without the the body having to supply blood to your fat it supplies more to the Muscle you are working, makeing them stronger!

Well thats what he told me! whether or not its complete BS is another story. if there is a Health and Fitness instructor on the board they may be able to clarify 100%
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
This is a secret between just you and me, Victorians highest selling newspaper  :shh Keep it quiet  :shh

:lol

Well it was at the AGM so they had to follow him there, not at a designating press conferance or anything.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:38:28 AM »

Not neccessarily Wayno!
My uncle is a Professional Body Builder and he told me a while ago that Depriving your body of food for short amounts of time ( a day or two at most!) is a really good way to strengthen your body and muscle tone if your working out in the gym in that period.

He said that when you deprive your body of food and are hittin the weights, the body burns more fat alot quicker and without the the body having to supply blood to your fat it supplies more to the Muscle you are working, makeing them stronger!

Well thats what he told me! whether or not its complete BS is another story. if there is a Health and Fitness instructor on the board they may be able to clarify 100%
Sounds plausible to me, could very well be the case (not that I'm a H & F expert)!

What I do know is that the players would receive an enormous benefit from the exercise in terms of learning what your limits REALLY are, how to make sound decisions under extreme pressure/provacation and how reliance on your team mates is the best way to cope/survive.  We often did these exercises in the military and they were spot on for personal development and strength.  It's not tree-hugging crap, it's real time pressure and learning/growth - perfect for our team of kids learning how to be an integral part of a successful team environment.  I know other teams are doing similar things - Kokoda/high altitude/isolation etc but I get more impressed by the continuing and determined attitude of those in charge at our club to finally create a successful team-oriented culture, where each member must earn his place/respect rather than just take everything that comes with being a high profile athlete for granted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:51:11 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
I whole heartedly agree smokey! We have been lacking the player support and teammanship for years now. Players don't shepperd, block or work for each other in our young club like they do in other more successful teams. Fighting to secure a place in the team and be 'seen' goes somewhat to explaining the reason for the more individual focus but now that we are starting to become more stable across the ground, working for each other should be made the number one focus.

Structures and rewards need to be established to encourage this and shepperding an oppent to allow a player with the ball space should be rewarded far more than simply running ahead looking to recieve the ball. Working to create space, working to cover each other, working towards a team goal rather than individual glory.

Sounds like we are one the right track!

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 02:00:04 PM »
RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace last night promised Tiger supporters they would see action next year rather than empty promises.

Wallace said the 2007 wooden spooner's lack of media coverage this pre-season had been a deliberate attempt to rein in several years of spruiking.
Hip hip hooray! Getting burnt by Caro and the media last year would've changed Plough's mind.

Mind you the Herald-Sun gave a hint today that Terry will be No 1. in the media's sights even though he has 2 years to run on his contract while say Clarkson is out of contract.

The 14 other AFL coaches are secured at least until the 2009 season, with Richmond's Terry Wallace, in the fourth year of a five-season contract, regarded as under the most scrutiny.

Link.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:20:52 PM »

Hip hip hooray! Getting burnt by Caro and the media last year would've changed Plough's mind.

Mind you the Herald-Sun gave a hint today that Terry will be No 1. in the media's sights even though he has 2 years to run on his contract while say Clarkson is out of contract.

The 14 other AFL coaches are secured at least until the 2009 season, with Richmond's Terry Wallace, in the fourth year of a five-season contract, regarded as under the most scrutiny.

Link.

Terry knows he is under the blow torch, but you can bet the media will be lining him up early on if we crash and burn, which will inturn put undue pressure on the club from all quarters...such a fine balancing act. :santa

Little Jackie

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 06:44:32 AM »

100% Correct wayne, they are footballers. food and sleep deprivation ::) ::) :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »
Terry knows he is under the blow torch, but you can bet the media will be lining him up early on if we crash and burn, which will inturn put undue pressure on the club from all quarters...such a fine balancing act. :santa
Nothing better then than to keep quiet until round 1 and then make some noise by knocking off the Blues.

The only media not after Plough will be in Adelaide. Neil Craig is under huge pressure and not drafting Brad Ebert has got everyone offside.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd