Author Topic: Changes for next week's final against the Blues?  (Read 4774 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Changes for next week's final against the Blues?
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
The Barometer - Week 1 Finals
Herald-Sun
September 2, 2013

RICHMOND

ON THE BLOCK: With three likely returns - Riewoldt, Newman and Shane Edwards, who has served his one-match suspension - the Tigers' match committee must find three players to make way. Back-up ruckman Orren Stephenson is one, but then it gets tough. Matt White could be No.2 if he doesn't come up from a sore hamstring, and Shane Tuck might be unlucky to miss out after starting as the sub again against Essendon. But his head-down attack on the ball could be a perfect fit for finals footy. Other possible candidates are Ricky Petterd - who's kicking for goal clearly needs work but is rated highly for his forward pressure - and possibly youngster Nick Vlastuin.

ON THE CUSP: Surely Newman will get up after missing three matches with an ankle problem. The skipper says he had a "fairly solid hitout" on Saturday and could have played in Round 23 if he was needed. He also says Jack Riewoldt will come straight back. That leaves the biggest watch on White, who's pace has become a key part of the Tiger game plan. He was subbed off at halftime with a hamstring issue but Richmond isn't saying how serious it is. Meanwhile, the likes of Robin Nahas and Sam Lonergan are available but it's hard to see them getting a look-in.

AL PATON'S FORECAST: After 12 years of waiting and about two months of trying to keep the lid on, it's here Tiger fans. The Tigers finished on 15 wins, five more than last year - a fantastic achievement. But it won't feel like much if they get knocked out in the first week of September. Finishing fifth pits Richmond against the "lucky loser" Carlton which - ironically - gets in after finishing ninth. The worry for the Tigers is the Blues have been their bogey side - they have won just one of the past 11 clashes between the teams. But that win was in Round 1 this year and while they lost their most recent meeting, they played essentially without Trent Cotchin or Dustin Martin (held to 14 and 10 touches by Ed Curnow and Zach Tuohy respectively) and still lost by just 10 points. The Tigers won four more matches than Carlton this season and deserve to start favourite.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/week-1-afl-finals-whos-good-to-go-whos-injured-and-whos-pushing-for-selection/story-fnelctok-1226708948399

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
No one wants to drop Vickery or the big O. So what about Maric?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »
Vlastun getting dropped would be very upsetting

gerkin greg

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 01:46:22 PM »
so would petterd playing

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
Suprised Jake King and Grimes arn't a consideration here. I love jakey in the team, especially against the scum (because he just LOVES scum), and Grimes has much greater poise and decision making ability than say a pettard. But both the jakey and pettard have the bods. Better with or without king? When you consider is Sheds to come in, probably prefer him over king.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »
Suprised Jake King and Grimes arn't a consideration here. I love jakey in the team, especially against the scum (because he just LOVES scum), and Grimes has much greater poise and decision making ability than say a pettard. But both the jakey and pettard have the bods. Better with or without king? When you consider is Sheds to come in, probably prefer him over king.

stay off the weed pal

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »

stay off the weed pal

yep, leave the grass to the pros

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
Which part is incoherent? If you read it, grimes and king a consideration to be dropped, makes a little more sense.... Maybe you guys need to get some into ya, everything makes more sense then!!!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
Out:
Petterd (weak, poor decisions)
Big O (sorry mate, rucked well)
Whitey (hammy)

In:
Newman
Jack (better not sook because Edwards just showed him how to play IMO. Lead and keep your crap together).
Titch

Keep Tuck in. Great clearance work again.

I am with you 100%, start Tucky on the ground and maybe Foley as sub?? I think Edwards would have won the Coleman if he had played every week, looked lively, I FFFXXXFFF LOVED that when he marked the ball he was back and around looking for options like when he passed off to TV. Not like others who just saunter back.
Our biggest probs will be betts and yarran, personally I would keep jack out BUT he will take their best defender

the claw

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
reckon the big o needs to play just means someone has to miss.

Spot on Claw.
I can't believe the amount of people on here calling for the Big O to be dropped. If we throw Ivan up against Kruezer and Warnock with only a bit of a chop out from Vickery, we will be flirting with disaster. Orren must stay. For me, the changes must be:
IN: Newman-Riewoldt-S. Edwards
OUT: White (h/string)-Pettard-Grigg

Understand the argument

But I just cannot see them going in with Maric, Stephenson & Vickery; especially with Jack coming back in.

I thought the Big O was good on Saturday but I just can't see them playing them all and there is no way in hell they will drop Tyrone so unfortunately the Big O is the unlucky one
why not wp. vickery is a tall forward riewoldt is a tall forward  that makes two.  every side in the comp  goes in with two genuine permanent tall forwards. a lot of em also play two ruckmen.some will play a third tall and one ruckman some like sydney when players are fit will play 3 talls and two ruckmen.
kurt tippett will come back into their side to join jesse white  but you can bet your bottom dollar mumford and pyke will play as well.

isnt kurt tippett a bit like our vickery. the difference is they keep both their kpfs in their forward structure and play their two rucks in the ruck with stints forward. we play two kpfs and then lose our structure by playing one in the ruck when ivan gets tired.
no matter the combination you need a combination of 4 genuine talls  in the forward line and ruck as a minimum.

we need only look as far as last yrs premiers to see what sort of structures win grand finals. lrt, reid, goodes  all played forward and both mumford and pyke played in the ruck and went forward at times.
id have no problems at all rotating ivan  between ruck and thru the forward line  leaving vickery and jack permanently there.

the premiers the yr before last geelong  2011  played 4 monsters,  hawkins and pods permanent forwards ottens and west in the ruck.
collingwood sheesh they won a flag playing cloke and dawes as permanent forwards with jolly and leigh brown pinch hitting in the ruck. it goes on and on.
to succeed id almost say its a must you structure up this way.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
reckon the big o needs to play just means someone has to miss.

Spot on Claw.
I can't believe the amount of people on here calling for the Big O to be dropped. If we throw Ivan up against Kruezer and Warnock with only a bit of a chop out from Vickery, we will be flirting with disaster. Orren must stay. For me, the changes must be:
IN: Newman-Riewoldt-S. Edwards
OUT: White (h/string)-Pettard-Grigg

Understand the argument

But I just cannot see them going in with Maric, Stephenson & Vickery; especially with Jack coming back in.

I thought the Big O was good on Saturday but I just can't see them playing them all and there is no way in hell they will drop Tyrone so unfortunately the Big O is the unlucky one

I think it's important to our structure to leave Tyrone at CHF. The fact is that Ivan needs someone to share about 40-50% of the ruck workload on match day, especially against a lethal combo like Kruezer and Warnock. The problem is, I don't believe that Vickery is a natural ruckman to begin with, and the time he spends in the ruck robs our forward line of another marking option. Whereas I think we could really stretch Carlton's poor defence if we could afford the luxury of having Vickery, Jack and Aaron Edwards permanently in our forward fifty. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have looked a more dangerous and cohesive unit when the Big O has been in the side with Ivan.

I'm fully with you RR.  Although my views on 2 ruckmen are old news and well-known, against Carlton I think it's imperative to play them both.  Jack and Vickery in the forward line makes them keep either of Henderson and/or Waite down back and makes one of their ruckmen go forward if they want more than 1 tall marking option to stretch our defence.  They have beaten us with height in the past recently and can do it again if we go too short.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
No one wants to drop Vickery or the big O. So what about Maric?

;D

the claw

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »

I think it's important to our structure to leave Tyrone at CHF. The fact is that Ivan needs someone to share about 40-50% of the ruck workload on match day, especially against a lethal combo like Kruezer and Warnock. The problem is, I don't believe that Vickery is a natural ruckman to begin with, and the time he spends in the ruck robs our forward line of another marking option. Whereas I think we could really stretch Carlton's poor defence if we could afford the luxury of having Vickery, Jack and Aaron Edwards permanently in our forward fifty. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have looked a more dangerous and cohesive unit when the Big O has been in the side with Ivan.

been saying similar for ages much better put than me and agree.
have wanted a prefered set up two kpfs say jack and for arguments sake mcbean. vickery in a pocket alternating with ivan in the ruck and on the bench.
failing that play the two ruckmen with  jack as one kpf and use vickery permanently as the other.
have argued ever since we got him, a  edwards should be played as a medium sized forward who can take a grab and is good on the lead.

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 03:28:35 PM by WilliamPowell »

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »
Big O stays in for me to help Maric he needs it and perfect against the blues .Vickery can play forward most of the game as we did against the hawks and dons.I reckon we look like a better side alot.Ricky Petterd has to be dropped for godsake did nothing last 2 games and we have betters players ahead of him ready to come in.White have to wait and see during the week ,but his run and carry is a weapon and we missed him against the blues last time.Tucky might be the unlucky one.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Against Carlton last time really missed White and King. In White's absence they managed to curb Ellis. Hope White pulls up okay. Walker, Garlett and Waite are worries as is Murphy, Scotland, Gibbs and Robinson(he always has an uncanny knack of playing well against us).