Author Topic: VFL R17: Richmond vs Werribee @ Punt Rd, Sat. July 28 [Curtain raiser]  (Read 6790 times)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Naish, Balta, Millar and Stengle are seriously good....Ellis, Moore and Gathwaite also good today. Some of the VFL boys are quality  :clapping
Do you think Balta is ready for a taste of AFL footy?
Or is it best to just save him for next year?

He certainly has all the tools. It would depend on his knowledge of our game style and where to position himself in certain situations during games. The coaches mentioned this as a reason why Higgins and now Baker are playing, they picked up our style quickly. I am over Grigg playing second ruck as we get smashed at clearances so Balta would assist in this area purely on his leap...he will be a very good player moving forward.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Wouldn't mind playing CCJ. Not as dynamic as Balta but reads the play better at the moment. Has developed enormously over the year. Another preseason or two and look out.  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: VFL Rd 17 versus Werribee
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »
Watched a bit of this before the big game.

Have to say there's a lot to be excited about.

Sold actually looked like he's taken a step forward, and Balta looks like he will be a dead set gun. Surprised if we don't play Balta sooner rather than later - has the size and speed to play genuine key post, and apparently can ruck a bit, which would be great for Nank who seriously needs some backup imo.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Wouldn't mind playing CCJ. Not as dynamic as Balta but reads the play better at the moment. Has developed enormously over the year. Another preseason or two and look out.  :shh

I agree with this. Even though I have been a Miller fan from draft time, I think CCJ could provide some assistance to Nank whilst also going forward and playing deep against midget defences.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Coleman-Jones would get smashed in the AFL and would do no better than Grigg in the ruck.....still a year away...at least... :shh

Balta would be spent before half-time..... :shh

Soldo is rubbish & slow and would compromise our defensive pressure..... :shh

If the aim is to just to provide more of a contest than Grigg currently does without sacrificing our pace & compromising our structures then I'd give second ruck duties to Moore or even try McIntosh in there before any of them at this stage..... :shh

Man I wish Chol wasn't injured..... :-\

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Coleman-Jones would get smashed in the AFL and would do no better than Grigg in the ruck.....still a year away...at least... :shh

Balta would be spent before half-time..... :shh

Soldo is rubbish & slow and would compromise our defensive pressure..... :shh

If the aim is to just to provide more of a contest than Grigg currently does without sacrificing our pace & compromising our structures then I'd give second ruck duties to Moore or even try McIntosh in there before any of them at this stage..... :shh

Man I wish Chol wasn't injured..... :-\

Whatmakes you say Soldo rubbish ?.Played his role last year helped Nank and is fecent tsp ruckman.We know his not going to give us Nank around the ground,but from all reports has improved.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well you can go off reports, I'll go off actually watching him play..... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Need to see Stengle at some stage.....his composure & superior decision making, particularly in the forward 50 is something we desperately need more of and he already demonstrated last year that he can play at AFL level....and this year he looks even better..... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Disagree with this statement. I have been watching him in the ruck in the seconds and he has come on in leaps and bounds. How could you be worse than Grigg in the ruck anyway?
I know he wouldn't be as good around the ground but would be handy up forward....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah that's VFL...AFL ruckmen would slaughter him....as would most AFL defenders... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Watched the first half yesterday with the following observations:
Miles was heavily tagged but played to his usual standards. He kicks around his body too often but is a good player.
Bolton is playing a running half back to improve his defensive side. Was sensational with ball in hand whilst providing great run but it is clearly evident he needs to improve defensive actions. I like this kid  :thumbsup
Ellis was best on ground in the first half (IMO) as he is so clean and calm whilst in possession. Spent time as a pure inside mid and on the HB flank. Ellis is in between levels at the moment but must push as hard as he can to bust his way in and stay there...he is good enough but can he do it.
Balta is so exciting as he does everything a big man is required to do. He is elite in the air and runs well and possesses a magnificent leg. When he understands the game style and increases his tank he will be a great inclusion to the firsts.
Naish played the Short role. He was always in the right position to receive and run with great kicking efficiency. Looks like he has added some size and with this has more aggression in the contest.
Miller was the big surprise and standout for me. He is big, strong and runs well but his kicking as decision making was impressive. Miller could develop fast and play senior footy next year for sure :thumbsup
Soldo was solid and did enough to suggest he is improving every game. Can take a fine mark and is better by foot. Would like him to jump at center bounces better as often he has landed before the ball is ready to hit.
Stengle is so good in a one on one...he wins all the time. He is so clean and hardly get taken down in a tackle ans is such a smart player...love him :thumbsup
Moore was great and clearly above the level. Needs to bring this confidence to the senior team next opportunity.
Mile was the carry over player.

Morris, Ballard, Wood and Aarts (he could be on a list easy) played well. I loved the work of Silvestro and Ernest...they are great!!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The Machine, serious question why can't C Ellis transfer his VFL form to the AFL?

I am not convinced that it is solely about what position they get him to play at AFL level?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
There's plenty of little reasons, mostly concerning the space between his ears but the main physical reason is that his lack of pace gets exposed at AFL level....  :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Jackstar is back!!!

Naish to take Shorts role in 2019 ;)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Naish to take Shorts role in 2019 ;)

Where's Short going?