Author Topic: The captaincy requiring the chosen to wear No 17.  (Read 3846 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: The captaincy requiring the chosen to wear No 17.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Just haven't seen anyone wear with pride since Rioli, so what's the point

So Paul Broderick didn't wear it with pride? Didn't deserve to wear it?

Ooh im sorry i didn't realize Broders was captain? Kane Johnson though gee wiz how inspirational was he with his 20 metre set shot behinds. Please give me a spell

I'm in favour of players wearing 17 but why does it have to be the captain. Its complete BS.

whether your 17 or 70 u should wear the jumper with pride. Enter Steve Morris and Tuck. Those are players i really enjoy watching. Not gifted with talent but give it their all and within the rules not like spud Jackson

Cotch stays at 9. Old school leather face mentality don't need it

Broderick wasn't captain, neither was Rioli

You said that "just haven't seen anyone wear with pride since Rioli" I asked what about Broderick seeing he was player to wear it directly after Rioli.

I asked you a question whether Broderick wore it with pride - a question you still haven't actually answered

FWIW - the concept of having the captain wear number 17 was introduced when Wayne Campbell was captain (his 2nd season IIRC) so around 2004.

The club copped alot of flack in 2002 when Spud gave the number to Paul Hudson; rightly so I might add. So the decision was made that in the future the captain would wear number 17

In all seriousness, Chimp has stated before that nothing would make him prouder than wearing the #17 – a few players have.

It's history and symbolism obviously means something to the playing group, even if it doesn't to the ferals, and I guess that's all that really matters.

Agree  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
In all seriousness, Chimp has stated before that nothing would make him prouder than wearing the #17 – a few players have.

It's history and symbolism obviously means something to the playing group, even if it doesn't to the ferals, and I guess that's all that really matters.

Understood.

Point is,the club are adamant about supposedly building a new culture
yet they look to the past for inspiration..

Would we not be better served,laying a new foundation with new aspirations?

ps-Paul Broderick ended up my fave player.Loved him.

gerkin greg

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
Could change the club name to the Cremorne Panthers and see how that goes?

Ox

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
is that all u got ?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »
Just haven't seen anyone wear with pride since Rioli, so what's the point

So Paul Broderick didn't wear it with pride? Didn't deserve to wear it?

Ooh im sorry i didn't realize Broders was captain? Kane Johnson though gee wiz how inspirational was he with his 20 metre set shot behinds. Please give me a spell

I'm in favour of players wearing 17 but why does it have to be the captain. Its complete BS.

whether your 17 or 70 u should wear the jumper with pride. Enter Steve Morris and Tuck. Those are players i really enjoy watching. Not gifted with talent but give it their all and within the rules not like spud Jackson

Cotch stays at 9. Old school leather face mentality don't need it

Broderick wasn't captain, neither was Rioli

You said that "just haven't seen anyone wear with pride since Rioli" I asked what about Broderick seeing he was player to wear it directly after Rioli.

I asked you a question whether Broderick wore it with pride - a question you still haven't actually answered

FWIW - the concept of having the captain wear number 17 was introduced when Wayne Campbell was captain (his 2nd season IIRC) so around 2004.

The club copped alot of flack in 2002 when Spud gave the number to Paul Hudson; rightly so I might add. So the decision was made that in the future the captain would wear number 17

Agree  :thumbsup

thank you WP for answering in a dignified manner

Broderick was a great player so i answer yes to that question. One of the best trades i've seen we get right

Apologies for any confusion with him or Rioli

I don't remember the issues surrounding giving the no given to Hudson and to be honest i don't care. No should be given to anyone who wears it with pride regardless of stature.

Read Ox's reply. Couldn't agree more but its only my opinion :thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
I'll cop a bit for this but here goes.....
I think Newy has worn the number 17 with pride and passion but also with plenty of dignity. I understand why people don't rate him but i think he has been a good captain when the pickings were slim. As for next year well i think he should he should get the number one back.

Ox

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
Newman was a  number 17 captain.

Suga was a  number 17 captain.

Trent Cotchin is number 9

gerkin greg

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
is that all u got ?

yep, mods deleted the other efforts  ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

Understood.

I see it a bit like this oxx, captain blood is to the RFC what the pioneers and explorers were to australia...imagine if some smarmy little upstart said oi bourke or flinders mean nothing to this generation , lets change the name of our streets and highways. Jack dyer made this club such an istitution in this ole town that 3 decades of failure didnt even scratch the surface. Leave no 17 alone
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
I like the idea of the captain wearing #17 but in Cotch's case if he were made captain I'd like him to keep the #9 and make it his own throughout the career. If the current crop goes onto win a flag or five  ;) then Cotch (barring serious injury) will go down in the Club's history as up there with Dyer, KB (#29), Hart (#4) and Bourke (#30). He's a once in a generation type footballer.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »

Understood.

Pretty much sums it up from my POV. I'll admit, I thought it was a good idea when first begun, but I believe its time to start fresh and make our own history. Retire the jumper until somebody worthy comes along and let whoever is captain keep their number. Its meant to be a proud jumper of an era when we were a war machine, I cant help but feel that whilst the clubs intentions were good, the last 10 years of performances have done nothing whatsoever to add to the reputation of the big 17. With all due respect What has it achieved? Have the players walked taller by the captain wearing it? Have the captains grown by wearing it?

gerkin greg

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
war machine

makes me think of Essendong

makes me rofl

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
I'll cop a bit for this but here goes.....
I think Newy has worn the number 17 with pride and passion but also with plenty of dignity. I understand why people don't rate him but i think he has been a good captain when the pickings were slim. As for next year well i think he should he should get the number one back.
Newy was going ok up until this year. I think he was the best available at the time and what we needed. Think his time is up though, time to pass on to Cotchin.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
im in favour of a new concept at richmond

have 2 captains , cotch and lids

jumpers have a no 17 on the front like the jd memorial game jumper

cotch wears 1 on his back
lids 7 on his back

great idea  :thumbsup :gotigers

gerkin greg

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
gay idea  :cheers