Author Topic: Luke McGuane signals intention to go to Lions (afl site)  (Read 13015 times)

the claw

Re: Luke McGuane signals intention to go to Lions (afl site)
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
See you Luke, all the best....that's two players that have left now and we get nothing for....
thats two players who should have been cut yrs ago and finally they are gone.
sad thing is those in charge coiulndt make the call on these types and they went on their own accord.thank god for f/a.
its a concern about those in charge though.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »
Is it just me or 'how the f?!k can we be close to to a full salary cap?'
We have one genuine A grader in Cotch. Genuine A graders being Ablett, Buddy, Swan, Mitchell and the like.
We have about 3 B graders and the rest are just young or not that good.

Lids- been pretty good but I wouldn't put him in A grade class. To easily tagged out of games and his finish in our  B&F would say the same.

Jack- if you hadn't seen him play that year he kicked 70 odd and won the Coleman, you would say he is a C grader. Last few years have been ordinary.

Dusty- improving every year but still only a B grader at present. Needs to be more consistent for longer in games.

So how in the hell are other sides with much better lists affording to entice good players from other clubs?

Are we that badly run??

Or are we to bloody arrogant to realize we are a fair way off??

How does a team like Sydney with all their stars pick up Tippitt and Buddy in consecutive years. I know they have extra salary cap space but not that much!

With the likes of Whitey and McGuane leaving surely we can afford young Adams from GWS?? Or somebody that might push us up that little bit higher.

You can shove Hampson and any other dud like that up your bum, we don't need anymore list cloggers. We need more 'best 22' players. That's the only way we are going to improve our ladder position.

Big Tone,
The salery cap is an interesting one in that even though there is a maximum amount payable (9.1million) there is a minimum amount you have to pay (8.6million) or 95% of the cap. So regardless of who you have on your list someone has to be getting the cash.
There were rumors going around for years that McGuane was on 500k a year and this was probably true at the time because regardless who was at the club at the time the minimum of 8.6million had to go somewhere!
This is why the extra million dollars a year to Sydney is a massive advantage to them. They have had bigger names retire or leave  in the last few seasons that would free up some cash but for them to be able to afford both Tippett and Franklin back to back shows exactly how unfair the advantage to them is.
We may well have free'd up around 1 million dollars with Tuck, White and McGuane moving on which sounds great but if we were to bring in 5 new kids that will take up around $750K for those new guys alone! I know there will be another couple to go yet but it doesn't leave much in the kitty to pay big bucks to lure a big name across. The reality of it is the Salary cap floor sux ass, clubs should be able to play players what hey think there worth and not pay half the side overs just because we have to.
I understand all that but why not give our average players, like Nahas, McGaune, White, Batchelor, Astbury, the list goes on, one year contracts on good money to be able to pay 95% of the salary cap and delist them at years end if we need the cash for better players? Now there is FA we should try and be much more flexible.  For example this year you would say "see ya" to that lot and say "hello" to Adams and a couple of kids.
And if by chance Astbury or somebody starts to show something during the year, sign him up for another year before the end of the year to keep him.
These type of players aren't going anywhere, why lock ourselves into contracts for more than one year.
I have said it before, we need to improve our best 22, pick the weak links and upgrade them. We proved this year you can improve your list/depth with smart picks on our rookie list.
Every player coming into your club should have the potential to improve our best 22.
The Griggs, Houli's, Knight's can only get you so far.

the claw

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
White and McGuane gone, I reckon claw is doing cartwheels
mate im over the moon  3 down 2 or 3 to go  nahas derickx and one other  from list proper go plus  3 or 4 of the rookies  i get my 8 to 10 scenario. get the nd picks rights and some astute trades/fa/delisted/ state league players and the list can really improve.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
just in time for richmond vfl team  :clapping

the claw

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »
We have one genuine A grader in Cotch. Genuine A graders being Ablett, Buddy, Swan, Mitchell and the like.

Lids- been pretty good but I wouldn't put him in A grade class. To easily tagged out of games and his finish in our  B&F would say the same.

Jack- if you hadn't seen him play that year he kicked 70 odd and won the Coleman, you would say he is a C grader. Last few years have been ordinary.

Dusty- improving every year but still only a B grader at present. Needs to be more consistent for longer in games.

So how in the hell are other sides with much better lists affording to entice good players from other clubs?

Are we that badly run??

How does a team like Sydney with all their stars pick up Tippitt and Buddy in consecutive years. I know they have extra salary cap space but not that much!

With the likes of Whitey and McGuane leaving surely we can afford young Adams from GWS?? Or somebody that might push us up that little bit higher.

You can shove Hampson and any other dud like that up your bum, we don't need anymore list cloggers. We need more 'best 22' players. That's the only way we are going to improve our ladder position.

Big Tone,
The salery cap is an interesting one in that even though there is a maximum amount payable (9.1million) there is a minimum amount you have to pay (8.6million) or 95% of the cap. So regardless of who you have on your list someone has to be getting the cash.
There were rumors going around for years that McGuane was on 500k a year and this was probably true at the time because regardless who was at the club at the time the minimum of 8.6million had to go somewhere!
This is why the extra million dollars a year to Sydney is a massive advantage to them. They have had bigger names retire or leave  in the last few seasons that would free up some cash but for them to be able to afford both Tippett and Franklin back to back shows exactly how unfair the advantage to them is.
We may well have free'd up around 1 million dollars with Tuck, White and McGuane moving on which sounds great but if we were to bring in 5 new kids that will take up around $750K for those new guys alone! I know there will be another couple to go yet but it doesn't leave much in the kitty to pay big bucks to lure a big name across. The reality of it is the Salary cap floor sux ass, clubs should be able to play players what hey think there worth and not pay half the side overs just because we have to.
I understand all that but why not give our average players, like Nahas, McGaune, White, Batchelor, Astbury, the list goes on, one year contracts on good money to be able to pay 95% of the salary cap and delist them at years end if we need the cash for better players? Now there is FA we should try and be much more flexible.  For example this year you would say "see ya" to that lot and say "hello" to Adams and a couple of kids.
And if by chance Astbury or somebody starts to show something during the year, sign him up for another year before the end of the year to keep him.
These type of players aren't going anywhere, why lock ourselves into contracts for more than one year.
I have said it before, we need to improve our best 22, pick the weak links and upgrade them. We proved this year you can improve your list/depth with smart picks on our rookie list.
Every player coming into your club should have the potential to improve our best 22.
far too much common sense there big fella.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
Good luck Luke , what a marvelous career, all the best, look forward to seeing you notch up 200 games :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:33 PM »

Are we that badly run??

Big Tone,

I absolutely 100% agree mate but the biggest problem at the moment is gouge gotta give something to get something. Adams would be a great get but if we can't match what another club offers then were going to luck out. The lower end of the list is slowly coming on but unfortunately we still don't have any tradable comoditys.
If you look at a club like Hawthorn, they have given up Kenedy and McGlynn(for 39,46,70) Murphy(FA no compo) Young (66) Sierakowskie(58) Gilham(29,68) Brown, Lisle(29), Renouf (33) and Mark Williams.
Now at the time any of these guys would have been highly rated on our list as they were on Hawthorn's but the difference is they had the balls to make the trades!
In return for all these player traded Hawthorn received Josh Gibson (pick 25-41) Taylor Dureya (69)  Sam Grimley (39)  Ben Stratton (46)  Matt Suckling (70 rookie promotion) Gunston (24-46-68) Brad Hill (33) Jed Anderson(part of Gillham Deal) Brian Lake (21-41)
If you look at our list this year aside from Foley I just can't see who is tradable to either A) pick up someone decent or B) get a decent draft pick for.
As the list developes hopefully we will be in a position to have a few players we need to squeeze out of the side that have some trade value!!

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2013, 04:50:18 AM »
mate im over the moon  3 down 2 or 3 to go  nahas derickx and one other  from list proper go plus  3 or 4 of the rookies  i get my 8 to 10 scenario. get the nd picks rights and some astute trades/fa/delisted/ state league players and the list can really improve.

Maybe Al will apologise for the unnecessary ranting at you
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
Always gave his all, good luck Luke.

105 games, some McGuane father sons to look forward too.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2013, 07:57:02 AM »
Damaged by Wallace & all who were under him. Could have been a very good footballer had he been played in his normal position. But 105 games in 9 years in a very weak side says it all. l reckon we should send Rewoldt to Brisbane & let McGoofy get his 10 years service up. he does pull off some great hangers  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Nae, just damaged
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:00:48 AM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »

By unnessesary ranting are you saying that my reasoning is just totally off tap, or that if you ask a question you shouldnt expect a response that actualy addresses the question and accept long winder answers that dance around subject and get belittled for something you are not suggesting.?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:03 AM »

By unnessesary ranting are you saying that my reasoning is just totally off tap, or that if you ask a question you shouldnt expect a response that actualy addresses the question and accept long winder answers that dance around subject and get belittled for something you are not suggesting.?
lol lets not turn this thread into another off topic rant. all i can say is yes im probably part to blame but it takes two to tango.id say your reasoning at times is unreasonable.
id say a lot of people would say the same about me.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »
Good luck Luke , what a marvelous career, all the best, look forward to seeing you notch up 200 games :clapping

:lol if he makes 150 games he be lucky  ;D

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
Will be lucky to make 15 quality games