Author Topic: VFL R3: Richmond vs Frankston --- Sat. Apr 23 @ Frankston Oval  (Read 25740 times)

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: VFL R3: Richmond vs Frankston --- Sat. Apr 23 @ Frankston Oval
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Our depth has been a problem for a very long time and the harder this regime tries to fix the issue the worst it gets. This can only mean they don't know what they are doing or we just can't develop players once they arrive. We do seem to have this obsession with tinkering with player's natural positions and maybe this contributes to the situation.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2016, 09:27:19 PM »
Thanks to Loui for the running commentary, BT & the machine for the feedback on this game.  :clapping

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2016, 10:49:27 PM »
Who saw that commin eh ??

I did and even put a cheeky amount on Frankston quite early in the second. I set myself up on the Frankston side and got amongst the locals and the turning point for me was a Frankston player coming off very late in the 1st who said "they are being smart arses now". After quarter time Frankston came out hard.

Can't add much to what Lui, BT and Machine said :clapping except to agree with most of it.

Lennon spent a little bit of time playing loose back as well as forward. Went the mark instead of the punch at one stage which gave me the poo's. It just allows the bloke in front to be paid the mark
Chol was a jet and I'm not going to harp on it but you can see the massive difference between him and McBean is his ability (or want) to make the contest. McBean showed he does have good hands and justified those people who said he should hit more packs ;)
Not sure why we didn't play Short as a more conventional small forward. Spent a lot of time high and wide on the HF/wing and there was a few times I thought he was going to join us for a tinny.
Soldo needs some serious work on his kicking/decision making but is also coming along nicely considering where he's come from.
Thought both Moore and Elton were good down back and can see why people are hopefully of C.Moore but he does have some work to do especially body wise.
Lastly, BT I am willing to meet you half way on George ;D. His kicking is looking better whether that be by skill or better decisions so hopefully he keeps it up

Oh and Cavarra is a jet. Pretty determined to play AFL from what I hear and probably deserves to get on a list.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »

I did and even put a cheeky amount on Frankston quite early in the second. I set myself up on the Frankston side and got amongst the locals and the turning point for me was a Frankston player coming off very late in the 1st who said "they are being smart arses now". After quarter time Frankston came out hard.

Can't add much to what Lui, BT and Machine said :clapping except to agree with most of it.

Lennon spent a little bit of time playing loose back as well as forward. Went the mark instead of the punch at one stage which gave me the poo's. It just allows the bloke in front to be paid the mark
Chol was a jet and I'm not going to harp on it but you can see the massive difference between him and McBean is his ability (or want) to make the contest. McBean showed he does have good hands and justified those people who said he should hit more packs ;)
Not sure why we didn't play Short as a more conventional small forward. Spent a lot of time high and wide on the HF/wing and there was a few times I thought he was going to join us for a tinny.
Soldo needs some serious work on his kicking/decision making but is also coming along nicely considering where he's come from.
Thought both Moore and Elton were good down back and can see why people are hopefully of C.Moore but he does have some work to do especially body wise.
Lastly, BT I am willing to meet you half way on George ;D. His kicking is looking better whether that be by skill or better decisions so hopefully he keeps it up

Oh and Cavarra is a jet. Pretty determined to play AFL from what I hear and probably deserves to get on a list.
George was pretty quiet yesterday unfortunately. He played like he was lost. Playing loose across HB, on the wing, and eventually down forward. I was hoping for a big day from him but he just couldn't really get involved in the game. He definitely has something though IMO. 

Agreed on C. Moore, didn't do much either but there is something exciting about this kid. He has a great set of dukes and I noticed his kicking style has improved also. I couldn't see a fault with it.

I liked the look of Short too, strong body for such a little man. And he wasn't scared to get involved.

Soldo tries but I've seen better ruckman in the EFL. We are kidding ourselves if we think he will get to a level that is expected of an AFL player. We aim too low when it comes to ruckman.
No way in hell he will become as good as Maric and he at his best is only just AFL level.  We need to aim higher than just guys that can compete, we need champions in the middle of the ground giving us first use of the footy.

I also thought Buttler showed a bit, didn't get heaps of it but showed he didn't poo himself in close and had some poise. He has got a few tricks also, flew high a couple of times and nearly took a couple of really nice marks. He needs to be played on the ball until  he cannot run anymore, have a quick rest and then go on ball again. I'm thinking he may be a bit lazy. We need guys coming through that can come straight in and get 20 plus touches without having to to much differently than they are doing in the twos. Genuine mids! For small quick guys there are so many touches you can get without even having to be elite. We never really hand passed from a mark or free kick to a guy running past, we were to busy kicking it sideways.

Chol should be upgraded  and played as a forward immediately IMO. Some guys just need to skip this reserves crap and play senior footy. This is where he will learn the most and at a quicker rate.

Overall the standard of footy yesterday wasn't great. If you didn't know it was VFL footy you would be excused if you thought it was just  a decent local league game.

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »

George was pretty quiet yesterday unfortunately. He played like he was lost. Playing loose across HB, on the wing, and eventually down forward. I was hoping for a big day from him but he just couldn't really get involved in the game. He definitely has something though IMO. 

Agreed on C. Moore, didn't do much either but there is something exciting about this kid. He has a great set of dukes and I noticed his kicking style has improved also. I couldn't see a fault with it.

I liked the look of Short too, strong body for such a little man. And he wasn't scared to get involved.

Soldo tries but I've seen better ruckman in the EFL. We are kidding ourselves if we think he will get to a level that is expected of an AFL player. We aim too low when it comes to ruckman.
No way in hell he will become as good as Maric and he at his best is only just AFL level.  We need to aim higher than just guys that can compete, we need champions in the middle of the ground giving us first use of the footy.

I also thought Buttler showed a bit, didn't get heaps of it but showed he didn't poo himself in close and had some poise. He has got a few tricks also, flew high a couple of times and nearly took a couple of really nice marks. He needs to be played on the ball until  he cannot run anymore, have a quick rest and then go on ball again. I'm thinking he may be a bit lazy. We need guys coming through that can come straight in and get 20 plus touches without having to to much differently than they are doing in the twos. Genuine mids! For small quick guys there are so many touches you can get without even having to be elite. We never really hand passed from a mark or free kick to a guy running past, we were to busy kicking it sideways.

Chol should be upgraded  and played as a forward immediately IMO. Some guys just need to skip this reserves crap and play senior footy. This is where he will learn the most and at a quicker rate.

Overall the standard of footy yesterday wasn't great. If you didn't know it was VFL footy you would be excused if you thought it was just  a decent local league game.
Bit harsh on George there I reckon, I was taking stats but he would have had it 20 times & was pretty good.
Both Moore's were pretty bad with Callum the better although he had his obligatory horrendous goal costing turnover, Andrew doent look interested.
Chol the highlight & I thought Soldo was pretty good , took 7 or 8 marks

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2016, 10:15:57 AM »

Agree with most of your thoughts BT however after you get past the result it was a very good game of footy to watch and a big step up on local league games. I think you are being harsh on Soldo. Remember he has only played approx 20 odd games of footy and the development he has shown since last year has been dramatic. What was your take on his contested marking yesterday? IMO he has already overtaken Hampson because of his ability to take marks around the ground. His ruck work is getting better every time he plays as is his understanding of the game. He can also rest forward and kick goals.  Do we need a ready to go ruck moving forward......yes we do but I am happy with developing young Soldo in the VFL for a few more years as he does show plenty of promise and could become better than his older cousin in time. C. Moore could also turn into a good player and his pace is incredible!  Short is just a smart efficient player who nails kicks every time. Reminds me of Geoff Raines the way he runs and hits targets:shh

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »

Well done
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »

Agree with most of your thoughts BT however after you get past the result it was a very good game of footy to watch and a big step up on local league games. I think you are being harsh on Soldo. Remember he has only played approx 20 odd games of footy and the development he has shown since last year has been dramatic. What was your take on his contested marking yesterday? IMO he has already overtaken Hampson because of his ability to take marks around the ground. His ruck work is getting better every time he plays as is his understanding of the game. He can also rest forward and kick goals.  Do we need a ready to go ruck moving forward......yes we do but I am happy with developing young Soldo in the VFL for a few more years as he does show plenty of promise and could become better than his older cousin in time. C. Moore could also turn into a good player and his pace is incredible!  Short is just a smart efficient player who nails kicks every time. Reminds me of Geoff Raines the way he runs and hits targets:shh
I keep hearing "he has come a long way"  (Soldo) the thing is you don't get extra credits for that. His kicking makes Hampson's look like Nathan Buckley. To be honest I don't think he is even VFL standard at the minute. It's ok the try hard but if he is the next in line behind what we have in the seniors now, we are more than in trouble.
He should be playing in the next level down and we should have better in our twos so our young AFL listed guys can rove to a VFL/potentially AFL standard ruckman. And Soldo is miles away from that.

The other thing I couldn't get over was the amount of "overweight" players running around on both sides. This is suppose to be an elite comp but some guys look like they should be running around for Scoresby. The difference between the AfL listed guys and the others is to great. We should have kids playing that are still pushing to get on an AFL list, not 26 year old fatty's that may have won the best and fairest at their local club the year before.

They RFC need to take this more seriously IMO. It's not good enough for a club like the RFC with all it's resources to lose to a club like Frankston. It simply isn't good enough. I'm not saying we should be winning premierships in the twos but we should be far better than what we are.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
Sounds like Chol, Markov and C. Moore at least gave us something to look forward to. They are still kids with scope for improvement. Mabior in particular sounds like he could be anything once he gets a tank. Can't wait for that to happen. He would add so much to the senior group. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
Chol gets angry face :clapping

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »

I keep hearing "he has come a long way"  (Soldo) the thing is you don't get extra credits for that. His kicking makes Hampson's look like Nathan Buckley. To be honest I don't think he is even VFL standard at the minute. It's ok the try hard but if he is the next in line behind what we have in the seniors now, we are more than in trouble.
He should be playing in the next level down and we should have better in our twos so our young AFL listed guys can rove to a VFL/potentially AFL standard ruckman. And Soldo is miles away from that.

The other thing I couldn't get over was the amount of "overweight" players running around on both sides. This is suppose to be an elite comp but some guys look like they should be running around for Scoresby. The difference between the AfL listed guys and the others is to great. We should have kids playing that are still pushing to get on an AFL list, not 26 year old fatty's that may have won the best and fairest at their local club the year before.

They RFC need to take this more seriously IMO. It's not good enough for a club like the RFC with all it's resources to lose to a club like Frankston. It simply isn't good enough. I'm not saying we should be winning premierships in the twos but we should be far better than what we are.

Yes his kicking does need improvement but he can actually kick goals from set shots and hit targets around the ground. All this in only his second year of footy. Remember he is a project player and yes we need more coverage in this area next year and beyond. Patience :thumbsup

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
Thanks to the update and review people

The club lucky it's got fans

Doesn't have much else
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2016, 03:08:52 PM »
Why can't we expect to win premierships in the twos?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2016, 04:38:10 PM »
Why can't we expect to win premierships in the twos?

The doggies did ffs

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »

I think we need to remember he's a category B rookie. If he plays an AFL game he's done well. So I do agree with you that we need better ruck stocks but putting the blame on him is stiff. He should be learning off a better ruckman in the two's instead of sharing the load with someone like Griffiths :lol