Author Topic: Tiger talls set to forge power forward line (Age)  (Read 9430 times)

the claw

Re: Tiger talls set to forge power forward line (Age)
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »
I would actually like to see Tuck up forward along side Polak, Riewoldt and Polo. I don't think you would classify either Polo or Tuck as KPP but Tuck would have the muscle to bring the ball to ground at least and take a nice grab and slot it through at best. He's good at stoppages too so would be able to win the ball and feed it out to our more nibble forwards in the F50.

I think ultimately Polak and Tuck would be short term fixes but Polo could carve out a position their if he steps up. You would hope eventually Astbury and Griffiths step into the 2 top spots with Riewoldt the 2/3rd option.

My beginning of 2010 Forwardline would be -

FF   Tuck       Polak            Nahas

HF  Polo         Riewoldt      Morton

My end-year 2010 Forwardline would be -

FF   Griffiths/Taylor      Polak         Nahas/Polo

HF  Astbury            Riewoldt     Morton

My future forwardline would be -

FF    Taylor          Griffiths           Nahas/Roberts

HF   Riewoldt       Astbury           Morton/Polo
Yep that's the way I see it too Stripes. The young newbies won't have the experience, size and endurance yet to hold down 2010 spots for the whole season. It's unrealistic at this stage to have Griffiths and Astbury in key forward positions week in week out. Even if they exceed expectations they're going to have periods at Coburg even as a "rest" for sore young bodies. So there's going to be a mixture of old names and newbies and eventually the old names who aren't part of our future will be replace in the next couple of years as the younger guys with ability mature in mind and body to last a full season. So the likes of Tucky, Polly and possibly Polo despite their deficiencies will be used moreso than the cubs in 2010. It's a transition year.
nothing unrealistic in expecting astbury and griffiths  and you could add gourdis in there if he shows enough to rotate thru the senior side. they  play next to polak and and jack and get blocks of 3 or 4 games more if they show a bit. when one tires  in comes the other one for a block of 3 or 4. in this fashion it would be easy to get 10 11 games into both players.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
Our forward line cannot be any worse than these Essendon midget spastics

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 08:21:14 AM »
Our forward line cannot be any worse than these Essendon midget wackos

Yeah, they were seriously under done for size and strength last night, and as soon as they ran out of puff it was all over.  Only the NAB Cup I know, but they would need to improve in leaps and bounds if they wanted to move up the ladder this year.  And to put it into perspective, at this time last year I said there was no way Brisbane could make the 8.   :-[

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
I don't think that would be their preferred starting lineup. Quite a few talls missing from that line up
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »
I don't think that would be their preferred starting lineup. Quite a few talls missing from that line up

No, but I don't think the missing talls are of great quality or quantity.  Laycock is average and Gumbleton is the unproven and injury prone great white hope.  The rest are novices.  Hille and Ryder are probably the only two I can think of that will help and they need a lot more help than that.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
Fair assesment smokey. I rate Hille and Ryder, although Hille can be a bit hit or miss with his goal kicking. (I think it was him that that kicked poorly allowing us to beat them  a couple of years ago  ;D ;D) Hurley showed a bit of promise last year as well.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »
Always thought Graeme had soft hands (likes the ball nicely presented and gift wrapped) and lacked somewhat in the hardness department.
But hey its a new coach and a new beginning

I agree, a new beginning. Give Polly a break, he could still re invent himself.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2010, 12:19:36 PM »
Fair assesment smokey. I rate Hille and Ryder, although Hille can be a bit hit or miss with his goal kicking. (I think it was him that that kicked poorly allowing us to beat them  a couple of years ago  ;D ;D) Hurley showed a bit of promise last year as well.

Hille is actually a reliable shot for goal most times.
You are referring to Laycock Al. :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »
your right tucker, I was thinking of laycock.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
Interesting to see what we do with our forward line now before round 1. The Club's gone with Polly and Polo up forward based on preseason training but Polly isn't the answer as a tall target as he's too slow and is out of the contest once the ball spills from the marking contest. Polo did nothing either tonight. We don't have many other options. Griffiths and Astbury are only starting out so you can't rely on them for 22 rounds even if we can get a number of games into them this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
polo spent the first half in defence and when went fwd did alot of hard work
hislop white rance all poo and must go, same for thomson

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »
We could have had Jon Brown in our forward line last night and it would have made no difference with the way the ball was coming in
I don't think there was one direct pass to a leading forward the entire night

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 12:17:59 PM »
We could have had Jon Brown in our forward line last night and it would have made no difference with the way the ball was coming in
I don't think there was one direct pass to a leading forward the entire night

They gave us no space and pressured our young midfielders relentlessly. I think they will be hard to beat this year. We still need to learn how to run in waves and work for each other to create space to better dispose of the ball.

I agree Polly is too slow but showed that he can still kick and mark. Players such as Nahas, Hislop etc will need to camp under him continuously because he can not follow up anything at ground level. Perhaps we definitely need to rotate Astbury and Giffiths (when fit) through the forwardline as 3rd tall options but last night we lost the game in the midfield which made both our defenders and forwards look worse than perhaps they really are.

Stripes 

TigerTimeII

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:27 PM »
hislop. wtf he shouldnt be under the packs he should just stuff off he is a useless prick