Author Topic: Top 5 best ever Tigers?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Top 5 best ever Tigers?
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:15:24 AM »
According to BF - link - Gerard Healy, Mike and Walls were on On The Couch last night and were debating whether Richo is one of the greatest 5 Tigers of all time.

Healy said yes Richo was and put up his Top 5 best ever Tigers:

Bartlett
Hart
Dyer
Richo
Titus

Mike and Walls both said no. The sticking point was Bourke.

Walls went on to say that Richo isn't a champion. A champion person but not a champion footballer.

Your Thoughts?

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Top 5 best ever Tigers?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
Go down to the museum and you'll see that Richo has the biggest file of info about himself with the exception of Jack Dyer.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:16:25 PM »
According to BF - link - Gerard Healy, Mike and Walls were on On The Couch last night and were debating whether Richo is one of the greatest 5 Tigers of all time.

Healy said yes Richo was and put up his Top 5 best ever Tigers:

Bartlett
Hart
Dyer
Richo
Titus

Mike and Walls both said no. The sticking point was Bourke.

Walls went on to say that Richo isn't a champion. A champion person but not a champion footballer.

Your Thoughts?
The sticking point according to wallsy and sheehan is that richo has kicked the same amount of goals and played the same amount of games exactly to big sav. If big sav is not a champion then Richo doesnt deserve to be either. Also they argued that he has only won 1  b&f in 15 years and hasn`t come close to being a Premiership player.
They failed to mention Sav`s career spans two clubs to richos one and richo`s ability to recover better than ever from serious injury.eg the broken cheek last year.
Also they missed out on the fact that Richo brings the crowd in. Our ave. crowd wouldve been 10,000 if not for him last year.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »
The sticking point according to wallsy and sheehan is that richo has kicked the same amount of goals and played the same amount of games exactly to big sav.

That's got to be the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard.

Richardson is in my top five.

richmondrules

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
I find, with these things, that is is impossible to pick just five when you are talking about the best. We now have 100 years of history, considering the players we have had play for us how can you just narrow it down to five. Bourke is a sticking point? I can think of half a dozen more that have an equal claim on our top 5 without needing to stretch my memory at all. A stupid media question, subjective, with no correct answer.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
I find, with these things, that is is impossible to pick just five when you are talking about the best. We now have 100 years of history, considering the players we have had play for us how can you just narrow it down to five. Bourke is a sticking point? I can think of half a dozen more that have an equal claim on our top 5 without needing to stretch my memory at all. A stupid media question, subjective, with no correct answer.
Pretty good point you make there.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
The best

Royce Hart
Jack Dyer
Kevin Bartlett
Jack Titus
Roy Wright

The worst
Wayne Thornborrow
Adam Slater
Mark Stockdale
Alistair Scott
Mark Summers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »
True RROFO. How can anyone let alone Mike and Walls judge say a Vic Thorp or any Tiger from the 20's, 30's and 40's without having seen them play. Dyer, Hart and KB probably are the 3 certainties in any top 5 but the last two spots are subjective. I wouldn't have Richo in our top 5 ever (Titus and Stewart the other two for mine) but he is a champion. Remember Richo played CHF most of his career so 740 odd goals by a CHF is that of a champion  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Little Jackie

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
Ian Stewart won the brownlow medal at his first year at richmond , after coming over from st.kilda.   Fantastic effort. have to be one of the top 5.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 07:01:16 PM »
The best

Royce Hart
Jack Dyer
Kevin Bartlett
Jack Titus
Roy Wright

The worst
Wayne Thornborrow
Adam Slater
Mark Stockdale
Alistair Scott
Mark Summers
Where is Richard Lounder in your worst? No.1 draft pick and about 11 games, he`d be in mine

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »
He did kick four goals against North in a 37 point win in round 5 1989. There have been worse. The fact that he was a number 1 pick amplifies his mediocrity but definentely not the worst. Worst 5%, yes. Worst 5 no.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »
He did kick four goals against North in a 37 point win in round 5 1989. There have been worse. The fact that he was a number 1 pick amplifies his mediocrity but definentely not the worst. Worst 5%, yes. Worst 5 no.
You may be right. To win a game with 4 goals in 1989 was a major achievment. Worst no.1 in history then?

Moi

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:09 PM »
How does a nice bloke end up kicking 748 goals and being one of the greatest goal scorers of all time in the competition, let alone Richmond?
Because he's doing something right.  If he was more accurate, he would have been the greatest.

BUT Titus has kicked more and deserves his spot. 

Jack's and KB's records speak for themselves. 

You could argue for Bill Morris with Roy Wright  - who was the better ruckman?  I didn't see either so I don't know.

Hart, arguably, one of the greatest of all time.

Hard to make a case for Matthew, but he's more than just a great bloke, he's a flawed genius IMO, but not one of our best five I don't think.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »
You may be right. To win a game with 4 goals in 1989 was a major achievment. Worst no.1 in history then?

Yes if not worst top 3 of mediocrity. Very very bad.

Online Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
How does a nice bloke end up kicking 748 goals and being one of the greatest goal scorers of all time in the competition, let alone Richmond?
Because he's doing something right.  If he was more accurate, he would have been the greatest.

BUT Titus has kicked more and deserves his spot. 

Jack's and KB's records speak for themselves. 

You could argue for Bill Morris with Roy Wright  - who was the better ruckman?  I didn't see either so I don't know.

Hart, arguably, one of the greatest of all time.

Hard to make a case for Matthew, but he's more than just a great bloke, he's a flawed genius IMO, but not one of our best five I don't think.
Have to agree. I`d turn for richo and my wife wouldn`t get jealous, that`s how good he is. Bourky played in 3 flags? gotta be in! But if we boil down the last 25 years, Richo would have to be close to no.1? Well at least no.2 behind Flea? Interesting and more relevent discussion though!