Author Topic: Richo off to the NFL in 2009  (Read 2819 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richo off to the NFL in 2009
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:51 AM »
'Richo' in America
The Australian
April 01, 2008

Star Richmond Tigers full forward Matthew Richardson is set to join former AFL compatriots Ben Graham and Saverio Rocca in the NFL next year after revealing last night his desire to make 2008 his final year.

'Richo' said the time had come after 16 years as the Tigers number one spearhead to hang up his AFL football boots and seek a new challenge in the United States.

"I've been thinking about this for a while," explained Richardson. "Probably since midway through 2007. I felt the time was right for me step away and give our younger guys more opportunity to develop and play more game time."

"I love the Richmond footy club and they've been really good to me over such a long period throughout my career but the future direction of the club belongs to Jay (Schulz), Cleve (Hughes) and Jack (Riewoldt). I think it's time for them to take over the forward line mantle."

Richardson, who reached the milestone of 750 goals on the weekend in the Tigers 41-point loss to North Melbourne and sits 12th on the AFL's all-time goalkicking list, stated the NFL provided an enormous opportunity that was too good to pass up.

"I'm now 33 years of age and so if I waited any longer to make a decision on my future the chance would have been gone," Richardson said.

"I'll probably head over there sometime during the year, probably the midseason break, to meet up with contacts I've already made and also to discuss things with Ben and Saverio who have kindly offered to share their advice and experiences. I realise it's not going to be easy and there are no guarantees but I'm really looking forward to the challenge."

Richardson has notified the club yesterday of his decision to retire at the end of the season. Richmond Football Director Greg Miller said 'Richo' had been Richmond during such a disappointing era for the Tigers.

"Well obviously we are sad to see the big fella go. He's been such a massive part of Richmond for such a long time. A truly loyal servant to the club and a fantastic person. He's stuck by the club despite the lack of success (Richardson played in just one finals series back in 2001) and has always given 110% both on and off the field. He has been the face of Richmond and coaches, players, staff and supporters will miss him deeply when he finally hangs up the boots at the end of the season," Miller said.

The club will hold a media conference at 1pm today at Punt Rd Oval. A gala testimonial night for Richardson will be organised for later on in the year.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23463093-2723,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Gonna be a lot of tears :-(
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
Gonna miss the big fella  :'(

For Julz lol

Although it is April Fools' Day, so is this a joke on us or the NFL lol
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:16:17 AM by Moi »

blx

Re: Richo off to the NFL in 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:40:46 AM »
Some things dont seem right about this.

in fact everything doesnt seem right about this.

i think this is a good move for richo BUT hes not a reknown kicker. hmmm what day is it again?

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

:cheers

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:08:38 AM »
who cares if it does not feel right. but its the right move

many blame the team for bombing o richo to a 3 on 1 contest etc, but i watched richo on sunday closely and 9/10 he lead to the wrong spots and created the wrong options for himself.

yes he has been a great player, but he just does not understand the modern game full stop and cannot adapt

good luck to him in the states, but if he chokes here, he wont make it there

by the by if by round 10 we are going no where, we should gaspar him and retire him immediately rather than let him finish his career in coburg

richmondrules

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:12 AM »
And the date today is? Thanks MT, stirred up all sorts of mixed emotions. Just what you need at 7 in the morning. And before my coffee. lol.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:17:12 AM »
done big time
hahaha
good one
should have read the papers and and had my short black b4 logging on to here

ah well maybe richo will read this and et some ideas out of it

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »
got me also.

nice one
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:41:47 AM »
Haha.  :clapping

Nice work MT.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Second Rocca to take punt in America
The Age
April 01, 2008

Collingwood forward Anthony Rocca looks likely to follow in the footsteps of his brother by taking up an offer from the Cincinatti Bengals to tryout in the upcoming pre-season trials.....

This follows news that Richmond power forward, Matthew Richardson will also leave the AFL at the completion of the '08 season to follow his dream of being a punter in the NFL. Although often chastised for his inaccurate kicking, Richo's thumping kick has caught the eye of several NFL talent scouts who believe his mongrel punts would suit their game style because they are unpredictable and would be difficult to catch.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/second-rocca-punt-america/2008/03/31/12050812583.html
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
Not sure how he'll get a gig with his kicking action.  He sprays 'em left and right - they want guys who can land it on a postage stamp.

Geez, it won't be the same without him will it?  Goodbye big fella.  If every other player played with as much passion, flair and commitment as you we'd've had a half a dozen flags during your time here.  His final game should be a sellout. 

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »
Lol @ Obelix.

Read the thread before ya post.

Hook line and sinker./ :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »
Lol @ Obelix.

Read the thread before ya post.

Hook line and sinker./ :thumbsup
I nearly started crying

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
Cheers guys  :lol. Happy April Fools' Day  :cheers

Nice one wayne  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
Bastard!!

Got me too  :D

Does it count even though I read it after midday?!
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went