Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902821 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5745 on: July 06, 2022, 09:06:00 PM »
"I thought the talk about Sydney was a complete furphy – I'm now hearing that perhaps it's on."

Caroline Wilson believes people at Richmond are beginning to consider life after Dustin Martin, as the prospect of him leaving becomes increasingly likely.

Click to pic/link watch:

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1544632951228571649

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5746 on: July 06, 2022, 09:18:46 PM »
Tom Harley says no just as he did about De Goey and laughs that he hasn't been asked about Dusty for month and yet Caro reckons that's not definitive :huh3.

Ross Lyon was the one making sense. Grieving is a process. Let Dusty be.

The treatment of Dusty by the media has been a disgrace  :thumbsdown.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:44:52 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5747 on: July 06, 2022, 10:54:04 PM »
AFL Media..
Speculate Dusty is headed North to be the marketing face of an expansion team.

Same Media..
Angry that Dusty avoids the media spotlight.

https://twitter.com/Tigers_of_Old/status/1544479985850650625

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘It’s on’: Swans ‘show interest’ as Richmond now ‘looking at life beyond Dusty'

Fox Sports
July 6th, 2022 9:03 pm

Veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson believes a Dustin Martin move to Sydney “is on” with the Harbour City club considering a mega-trade for the Richmond superstar.

Earlier this week Nine’s Sam McClure reported there was “a very large chance” Martin would not be at Tigerland past this season.

On Wednesday night Wilson said she believes there has been a change at both Richmond and Sydney regarding the triple Norm Smith medallist’s future.

“I thought the talk about Sydney was a complete furphy. I’m now hearing that perhaps - it’s on. It’s certainly something that is being considered,” she said on Nine’s Footy Classified.

“Sydney have shown some interest. Not directly necessarily in Dustin Martin. And Dustin Martin, according to people at the club, just isn’t quite as engaged as he was in the past.

“He started the year with a broken heart, it was a shock loss at the end of last year ... and for the first time I think there are people at Richmond looking at life beyond Dustin Martin.”

Martin took personal leave earlier this season as he dealt with the death of his father Shane, who he was extremely close with, and has spent much of his free time in New South Wales.

He is owed a reported $2.6 million over the next two seasons which is a factor in the Tigers’ current thinking, as they weigh up whether they would ever let him go.

Foxfooty.com.au reported on Wednesday night the Tigers are among the key suitors for Giants midfielder Tim Taranto.

“There's a bit going on behind the scenes. Richmond are trying to keep Liam Baker, they’re looking at (Jacob) Hopper, (Tim) Taranto,” Wilson said.

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd suggested Martin’s exit would be "sad” for Richmond but not necessarily the worst thing for them on the field.

He pointed out it would allow them to free up a large amount of salary cap space, while he pointed to the risks for the Swans, even if they extended his deal to smooth out the high yearly salary numbers.

“It’d be a sad thing for people at Richmond, because wouldn’t you love Dustin Martin to be a one-club player, because of the champion he’s been for the club,” Lloyd said.

“But I think if it does happen, it’s not the worst thing for Richmond. Dustin’s just turned 31, he’s on $1.2m to $1.4m a season, that’s a lot of money at his age.

“It’s a big risk for the Sydney Swans, to be honest ... and he’d be going there on a three or four-year contract.”

Meanwhile Wilson also reported that Martin’s manager Ralph Carr had “offered” his services to North Melbourne to help their recruiting.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-trade-to-sydney-swans-richmond-tigers-its-on-interest-from-swans-contract-deal/news-story/98dcb9d67c0ebfa2ee9b96ec4ffac29c

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5749 on: July 06, 2022, 11:01:29 PM »
Watch the media start drooling over this and pedalling rumor and innuendo. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘It’s on’: Plot thickens in Dustin Martin Richmond exit theory

It comes after Wilson spoke to Swans CEO Tom Harley earlier in the week on 3AW about players the club might be interested in.

After drawing a line through Jordan De Goey, Harley laughed off interest in Martin, saying “I haven’t been asked about Martin in about a month”.

Wilson said she felt Harley “no” on Martin “wasn’t quite as definitive” as it was for De Goey.

Harley also said he hoped Buddy Franklin would play again next year but Wilson said it would be a drastically reduced offer for the current Swans star.

“I just feel there’s a bit going on behind the scenes. Richmond are trying to keep Liam Baker, they’re looking at (Jacob) Hopper, (Tim) Taranto,” Wilson said.

“I don’t know if it’s the right decision though, I don’t know, I hope I’m wrong but I’m really worried I’m right.”

Ross Lyon disagreed however and said the Tigers needed to keep him and that this was all part of the grieving process for his father.

“This in Dustin’s life can be worked through and he’ll come out the other side, and I’d love him to come out the other side at the Richmond Football Club,” he said. “We’ll lose him in Sydney.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/its-on-plot-thickens-in-dustin-martin-richmond-exit-theory/news-story/3bff066eda935a2d4e5a14ece83cc056

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5751 on: July 07, 2022, 03:21:17 AM »
Owe him nothing so wouldn't begrudge him.

Would just make me sick seeing him in a fecking swans jumper. Would rather he went to GWS it's hard to hate them they are so minnow.

On current form though any team offering him more than 1 additional year is crazy and they wouldn't wanna be offering much for that 3rd year, like $300k seriously. Same with Buddy of he plays on he should do it for basically nothing.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5752 on: July 07, 2022, 08:20:52 AM »
Caro is usually on the money rarely gets things wrong.

Broadsword

« Reply #5753 on: July 07, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Tom Harley says no just as he did about De Goey and laughs that he hasn't been asked about Dusty for month and yet Caro reckons that's not definitive :huh3.

I heard that Tom Harley hysterically laughed off suggestions the Swans were interested in bringing Warwick Capper back to the club as their new full forward. By comparison, Harley's "no" was not quite as definitive with De Goey as it was with Capper. Therefore, the De Goey move to the harbour city "is on".

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5754 on: July 07, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »
There is a lot of he “doesn’t owe us”
Granted he doesn’t owe the supporters but he’s a contracted player, paid handsomely.
A club that has supported him throughout his career, this is a 2 way street re: club, player.
I support the RFC so if he is leaving the club is duty bound to get the best result for the club.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5755 on: July 07, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
I will confess I am sick of this whole saga. And it is a saga now.

I've always been of the belief he will stay. That he would honour his contract for a number of reasons some of which I have kept and will continue to keep to myself

Having said that there is a part of me now that actually doesn't care. If leaving helps him get over the grieving and loss then so be it

But I will be extremely disappointed as the club has been bloody good to him since the day he first walked through the doors at Punt Road

If he wants to go and that is still a massive IF, then the club is duty bound to get the best deal and if that can't be then they don't trade him and he stays.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:29:22 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5756 on: July 07, 2022, 10:45:55 AM »
I will confess I am sick of this whole saga. And it is a saga now.

I've always been of the belief he will stay. That he would honour his contract for a number of reasons sime of which I have kept and will continue to keep to myself

Having said that there is a part of me now that actually doesn't care. If leaving helps him get over the grieving and loss then so be it

But I will be extremely disappointed as the club has been bloody good to him since the day he first walked through the doors at Punt Road

If he wants to go and that is still a massive IF, then the club is duty bound to get the best deal and if that can't be then they don't trade him and he stays.

Spot on.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5757 on: July 07, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
There is a lot of he “doesn’t owe us”
Granted he doesn’t owe the supporters but he’s a contracted player, paid handsomely.
A club that has supported him throughout his career, this is a 2 way street re: club, player.
I support the RFC so if he is leaving the club is duty bound to get the best result for the club.

TRUTH

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5758 on: July 07, 2022, 12:02:20 PM »
If he says he wants out we have to get the best deal we can. GWS have more to offer in terms of players or picks.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5759 on: July 07, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »
This reeks of the gws rumours half a decade ago. My heart tells me he will stay. Grieving is a rough process but based purely on speculation I think the strength of his friendship with cotchin will tip him to stay