Author Topic: Ben Nason delisted [updated]  (Read 29288 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Ben Nason [merged]
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »
Watching the game live I would've thought Nason had more than 10 possies. Even so impressive for a first gamer who hasn't even seen the 'G before. Looked very comfortable at this level and showed up a number of his more experienced teammates for skills and especially footy brains.
I thought his work ethic showed on the field. He never stopped trying, always working hard to get into space and create options. Fitness and composure will come with time, but he looks a good pickup for where we got him in the draft.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2010, 08:56:46 AM »
He did well, was tenacious, put his body in and kicked a goal lol.  He muffed his first attempt but didn't drop his bundle even when they tried to put the wind up him about it.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2010, 10:43:10 AM »
definitely a positive to take from the night - thought he showed some good signs, especially after missing his first shot and not losing his cool or letting it get to him. Thought he was the most impressive of the debutantes from last night. Looks like one of those twins from the matrix too  :lol

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
definitely a positive to take from the night - thought he showed some good signs, especially after missing his first shot and not losing his cool or letting it get to him. Thought he was the most impressive of the debutantes from last night. Looks like one of those twins from the matrix too  :lol
LOL he does too!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2010, 05:24:16 AM »
Tiger cub Ben Nason burns bright
Reece Homfray
Herald Sun
May 07, 2010

THE emergence of young Richmond wingman Ben Nason has brought a spark to Punt Rd in a season where little has gone right.

At 20, Nason is the eldest of three housemates who represent what the Tigers are all about this season - young and exciting talent, but still very raw. The others are Dustin Martin and Jayden Post.

"Before the first game (coach Damien Hardwick) called me into his office and said, 'How do you think you'll go in front of 70,000 people?' I couldn't believe it was happening." Nason said.

"It was good that Dusty and I debuted at the same time because we live together and we were able to talk about it during the week. But when we ran out there, we couldn't even hear each other."

With his blond dreadlocks, slight build and lightning pace, it has been hard not to notice Nason, but the former Central Districts youngster did not expect to see AFL action so soon after being taken at pick No. 71 in last year's national draft.

But after putting on 4kg in the pre-season - thanks largely to his homemade pasta bake and Martin's specialty, fajitas - Nason was fast-tracked into the Richmond team.

He has averaged 13 possessions and kicked five goals in six games, but his progress wasn't without a scare. In his first NAB Cup game, against Hawthorn, Nason thought his year was over after he hyper-extended his right knee.

"I went into the changerooms and thought, 'Well that's it. I've stuffed up my whole season'," he said.

"I thought I did my ACL. It felt like someone had stabbed me in the side of the knee.

"I was really scared but had scans the next day and found out I'd just bruised the bone."

Nason missed a week but did enough to earn a spot in the Round 1 side and has held it since, although he has been forced to endure six consecutive losses for the first time.

On Sunday he returns to AAMI Stadium for the first time since supporters were overheard asking, "Who's that kid?" when he came into the Central Districts side and played SANFL finals.

Nason is determined not to return to Melbourne after the game against Adelaide with Richmond still winless.

"I've just got to improve how I play my role," Nason said.

"I've got to keep running and tackling. As soon as we get the ball, I've got to spread, then keep working back in."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-cub-ben-nason-burns-bright/story-e6frf9jf-1225863295452

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »
Tiger growing in stature
EMMA QUAYLE
May 9, 2010

BEN Nason never expected to be drafted, never expected to overcome leg injuries in time for the pre-season games and never thought he would be lining up for Richmond in its first NAB Cup match. He never expected to be on the ground clutching an injured knee in the first term, wondering if his debut season was over before it had started.

"When they first took me down to the rooms, I was really upset," he said. "I didn't know what it felt like to do a knee, so I just felt pretty confused. I thought my year might be gone, there and then."

In the rooms, the doctors believed he had suffered only bone bruising, and they were proved right days later. After two weeks off, Nason got back in the side for the last two practice games, and on the Tuesday before Richmond's round-one game against Carlton, he was called into coach Damien Hardwick's office and asked if he'd like to run out on the MCG.

Since then, the 20-year-old has stayed in the team, improving and feeling more and more like he belongs. "It's just starting," he said, "to feel a bit more natural out there."

Nason knows what successful sides look like. This time last season, he was living at home in the Adelaide suburbs, working full-time with a fibreglass company and playing football for the Central District reserves. Having just crossed to the club, Nason couldn't imagine making the senior side, which had won eight of the last 10 SANFL premierships. He hadn't made the SA under-16 side, he hadn't been picked in its under-18 squad and, after growing up through the junior ranks at the Port Adelaide Magpies, he had been told at the end of 2008 that he was too small to ever play a senior game.

"I always thought I had no chance to play AFL, but I still didn't really give up," he said. "Whenever someone asked what I wanted to do, that's what I would say."

As soon as he was ditched by the Magpies, his new team called, and Nason was happy to go there, having grown up barracking for Centrals and adoring James and Chris Gowans, the team's tough twins. "I used to go and watch them play with my best mate since I was three," he said. "He used to love James Gowans, and I always had Chris' number on my jumper. When I got to the club, I felt a little bit star-struck."

Nason was given a role on the half-forward line, and started to feel like the team needed him. Then he made the South Australian under-20 team, and was told he may be destined for bigger things. "The senior coach sat me down and said, 'At the start of the year, I would never have considered you someone who could play, and now I feel like I could chuck you in any week if we need you'," said Nason, who played in the final round of the season and in the first final but has no idea why or how he improved. "I think it just felt good to feel like I was wanted."

The AFL clubs were next to get in touch, with Geelong, Port Adelaide and Fremantle sending letters before Richmond officials rang a week before the draft and then flew over. Nason felt nauseous during his interview - "I never sweat, and I couldn't stop sweating" - but by draft night he was less nervous, because he never thought he'd be picked.

While his dad listened to the draft on radio at work and his mum followed it on the internet, he watched it on TV at a mate's place. "They were doing an interview on screen when my name was called out, and it was so faint, but I was convinced that I heard it," he said. "It came up on the screen after that, and within 15 minutes I was home and there were all these people outside my house waiting. It still gives me goose bumps now, to think back on it."

Nason didn't expect to play in Richmond's first six games, but he doesn't want to stop now. "I'm getting more used to the structures and knowing what the other players are going to do," he said. "It's a massive step up, but it just feels right. I feel like I'm supposed to be there, in a way. Not winning isn't too good, but that will come. I know we'll win soon. We'll get there."

Milking it: After playing SANFL reserves a year ago, Ben Nason has played every game for Richmond this year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-growing-in-stature-20100508-ukyu.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
anyone else think nason has been overrated by the media?

Gigantor

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
During these dark days we gotta hang our hat on something..LOL

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »

media pfft.  who gives a poo what they think.

i reckon he is going ok.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
During these dark days we gotta hang our hat on something..LOL

pick number #79 from Adelaide..

wonderful  ;D

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
No

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »
No

Been a shining light all year. :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
hes doing ok for where he was drafted, if our other players did the same we wouldnt be in so much poo :banghead

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
Get a haircut!!!!!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:15 PM »
Really going well IMO, can't wait until he has a big pre-season next year and some time in the gym, he will come on in leaps and bounds next year barring the unfortunate.... can't say it.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"