Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton - round 1, 2013  (Read 147444 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Richmond vs Carlton - round 1, 2013
« Reply #600 on: March 30, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
Agree with Ramps (after watching the replay and Owl).
Some great posts on the game, the reality is that we won the game and overcame a huge obstacle in our development.
Round 1 2009 was the worst day I have had at the football and I reckon that list of shockers from our club has plenty of competition to get to the top of it.
Just reading Nathan Browns comments the other day made me realise it was a similar impact to that playing group.
I know all the horse poo clubs say about creating their own history but last night was a massive, massive step forward for the club, the coaches and the playing list.
The only watch out is this idea that Hardwick and the coaching panel struggle to change course with our game plan when the opposition all of a sudden gets on a roll.
Anyways, who cares? We got the choccys
We are a classic middle of the road list jostling for position in the top half of the 8.
One down with one to come this Friday night.
The marketers might have it right, the tiger might actually be stirring this time.

As for Carlton?

Hmmmm, Denis Pagan just be getting a little twitchy watching Micky at his press conference last night.
He knows too well that coaches that continue for an extra stint end up losing their aura pretty quickly in this competition.

Great post, the Tiger is indeed stirring. I am looking forward to the day when the club is hated and feared.

But this is Malthouse's fourth stint as a coach, I wouldn't write the blues off just yet.

:cheers from Pattaya (smelly poohole of a place)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #601 on: March 30, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
In 1980 we beat Hawthorn in rd 1 by 5 points and won the flag
In 1995 we beat Freo in round 1 by 5 points and made a Prelim
In 2013 we beat the skata in round 1 by 5 points ............... :pray :gotigers :thumbsup

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
Sorry, bit off subject here but, I am thinking of going to the Lions, Dogs game today with my son, can you buy tickets at the gate?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:34 PM »
yes

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
Negatives:

I noticed some of the boys with pre season form went missing.

Ellis had a shocker. Lets hope he bounces back because I like the kid.
Houli was way down on his preseason output.
Martin, although he was excellent in bursts, it was an overall disappointing game from him.

On other players that were down on the night;
As MT noted earlier I agree that Maric didnt have his best game. His clearence work was good but he had No contested marks, he didnt drop back much in defense and when he did he failed to make an impact there highlighted by some crucial errors ie. the dropped mark in the goalsquare and the failed punch when Kruzer marked the ball in the pocket.
I thought newmans was serviceable but I didn't notice him at all especially in that frenetic last quarter when the blues were on a roll. As the most senior player in our team and former captain I think he needs to show the team that he really wants finals footy. A finals like game as thursday night was I would've expected more from him especially in that last quarter. No inside 50s from him or any scoreboard influence at all. I'd expect him to improve and although he's no Judd, I still expect some Judd like cameos just to display some of his experience and leadership.
As good as Lids was with his run and carry, his goals on the run etc. he did go missing in the last quarter. I'm guessing these senior players did run out if legs in the last and I'd expect that their endurance won't be a problem as the season progresses.
Griff made Hampson look good which was annoying.
Nahas was terrible. He failed to have any impact as the sub. 
A sub should always have an impact IMO.

Also It was frustrating that at times Judd was completely lonely in the second half and killed us. Walker was getting too many easy kicks and no one was interested in Gibbs in the last quarter where he was killing us with his skill and poise just seemed to rack up possessions at will.
The fact that we let them nearly pinch the game.  Hopefully maturity and self belief will help the guys smash teams and put them right out of the game.

I'm not angry upset or frustrated at all. I was celebrating all night Thursday night and I loved the win even though we let em come back.
I'm still celebrating and won't be letting up on any cheating scum supporters that I know or meet.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »
Tucky interviewed on Crocmedia:

* The contested ball in the first half I think we were 19 up or something like that and clearances we were nine up, so we were really good there. We fell away at the last bit there, but it seems to be a game where you win the contested ball and you win the clearances then you win the game. I don’t know where we finished in the end, but we need to concentrate on those two things, even the tackles as well.

* Fit enough? I think we are. I don’t know, they just pushed a bit harder than us at the last bit there. Maybe a few guys just thought we had the win, because we were 36 points up at three quarter time. So maybe guys just eased off the pedal a little bit.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-03-30/tigers-target-tough-stuff

tony_montana

« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
In 2013 we beat the skata in round 1 by 5 points ............... :pray :gotigers :thumbsup

I was just thinking the same thing this morning TB  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2013, 02:05:59 PM »
 :rollin

I was just thinking the same thing this morning TB  :thumbsup

Tony, in 1995 we played St Kilda in round 2 and beat them by 26 points at Waverley. I would take lightning striking twice next Friday night with a 26 point win. :pray :gotigers :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2013, 05:56:50 PM »
Loving the haters in the media over the past two days - "Oh they almost blew it!" or "They were lucky to win in the end" or "If Yarran and Hampson had kicked those goals then blah blah blah". I sense fear of a rising Richmond! :yep  ;D.

The only detailed review of the game from a Richmond perspective on the radio I've really heard was surprisingly from Dermie today. Apart from mucking up Griffs surname, he stuck to commentating on the game rather than the cheapshots above. He made the point that on Thursday night, Dusty supported Cotch as far as the class in our centre midfield that sits 2m off the ball at a stoppage before using their ballwinning ability and acceleration over the first 5m to break clear and get the ball moving forward our way. In the first half Dusty killed it and our centre midfield smashed Carlton in the clearances. After half-time Dusty tired as he's still only 21 y.o. and hasn't developed the endurance that a Cotchin has and so Dusty couldn't get near it. So we were down to just Cotch in that role and Carlton started to get on top. It makes you think if we had Foley available or even say played young Vlastuin on Thursday night to rotate through that role if we would've dropped away in winning the clearances so badly in the last quarter.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #609 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
Loving the haters in the media over the past two days - "Oh they almost blew it!" or "They were lucky to win in the end" or "If Yarran and Hampson had kicked those goals then blah blah blah". I sense fear of a rising Richmond! :yep  ;D.

The only detailed review of the game from a Richmond perspective on the radio I've really heard was surprisingly from Dermie today. Apart from mucking up Griffs surname, he stuck to commentating on the game rather than the cheapshots above. He made the point that on Thursday night, Dusty supported Cotch as far as the class in our centre midfield that sits 2m off the ball at a stoppage before using their ballwinning ability and acceleration over the first 5m to break clear and get the ball moving forward our way. In the first half Dusty killed it and our centre midfield smashed Carlton in the clearances. After half-time Dusty tired as he's still only 21 y.o. and hasn't developed the endurance that a Cotchin has and so Dusty couldn't get near it. So we were down to just Cotch in that role and Carlton started to get on top. It makes you think if we had Foley available or even say played young Vlastuin on Thursday night to rotate through that role if we would've dropped away in winning the clearances so badly in the last quarter.

and if we had kicked all the goals that hit the post and if McG had converted at the end and if Yarrans goal wasn't allowed because it hit the post etc etc

We won end of story. We probably didn't flog them because of the hoodoo demons and the fact that its round 1 and most teams are underdone
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #610 on: March 30, 2013, 06:20:56 PM »
Oh yes I forgot to mention that the tackles were far too low for a suspected potential finals team.
We really need to up the intensity and pressure.
Our tackles count must be atleast in the top eight clubs and maintain this throughout the season. 

dwaino

« Reply #611 on: March 30, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Oh yes I forgot to mention that the tackles were far too low for a suspected potential finals team.
Our tackles count must be atleast in the top eight clubs and maintain this throughout the season.

Winning teams often have the lower tackle count.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #612 on: March 30, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

Winning teams often have the lower tackle count.
As this may be true 40 tackles in a whole game is unexeptable. I'd expect an average of 60-70 tackles per game. 

dwaino

« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »
Worry about it if it's pee poor after 10 games. That's a normal tackle count for a game a team dominated in and faded in the end. Tackles aren't a very good indicator for winning sides anyway.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
What I know is that winning teams make grand finals, losing teams don't.