Author Topic: Richmond need to finalise an offer for Dustin Martin and not baulk: Robbo (HSun)  (Read 2912 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond need to finalise an offer for Dustin Martin and not baulk, writes Mark Robinson

MARK ROBINSON,
Herald Sun
27 May 2017  6:30pm

RICHMOND can be the good guy or the bad guy with Dustin Martin.

Right now, it’s the good guy.

The Tigers’ response to questions about whether Martin’s manager Ralph Carr is shopping around their best player and prized restricted free agent is met with polite shrugs of the shoulders.

“We’re happy with where’s it at,’’ is coach Damien Hardwick’s stock answer.

Tigers fans might beg to differ. These tortured souls — and we all know one — would need professional counselling if Martin upped and left.

In the meantime, these news articles about monster deals offered — or ones that will be offered — to Martin would make them incredibly uneasy.

Right now, the Tigers have no alternative other than being the good guys.

Carr is doing his job to land Martin the best possible deal. That’s free agency. That Richmond hates Carr doing his job is beside the point.

The fact is Martin is gettable under AFL rules and North Melbourne, St Kilda and Essendon, among other clubs, are working out how much they can offer him.

Estimated figures put it between $1 million and $1.3 million per season.

It’s all looking hunky dory for Martin.

But looks aren’t everything, for Martin will soon enough have to make a decision: Stay or go.

Is he bluffing or is it only about the money?

The Tigers should soon consider shedding the good guy tag.

Their initial offer to Martin was five years at about $825,000 per season.

The salary cap hikes to $12 million-plus in 2017, so it’s fair to suggest, with what other clubs are dabbling and how well Martin has played this year, he will be a million-dollar player in 2018.

Six players were paid more than a $1 million in 2016. That number would probably double in 2018 and if you think Martin is a top-10 player in the competition, then it’s probably right he joins the millionaire’s club.

Still, Richmond can’t be dictated to by Carr and opposition clubs.

The Tigers need to be firm with Martin and Martin has to be fair with the Tigers.

Richmond need to finalise an offer for Martin, if they haven’t already, and not baulk on it.

If it’s five years at a $1 million per season — plus incremental increases — then, Dusty, take it or leave it.

Chief executive Brendon Gale and list manager Dan Richardson cannot compromise the club’s total player payments because of one player, free agent or not.

If he did leave, the Tigers would get a compensation pick.

If Martin wanted out and the Tigers matched the offer or bluffed to match the offer, then, say, Essendon, would have to trade to get him.

Geelong and Adelaide did that for Patrick Dangerfield. Dangerfield wanted to go and the Crows could’ve easily matched Geelong’s offer, but both teams worked together. The Cats gave up picks No.9 and No.28 and young midfielder Dean Gore and the Cats gained Dangerfield and Adelaide’s third-round draft pick.

Either way, the Tigers must play hardball.

Confidence is high at the club Martin will stay, but if does leave, it won’t meaning locking up the joint.

Ablett, Franklin and Dangerfield all departed their football clubs and, surprise surprise, the football clubs didn’t crumble.

In fact, Geelong and Hawthorn won flags the years after Ablett and Franklin flew interstate.

Make no mistake, Richmond’s offer will be bountiful.

It won’t be as much as what other clubs offer and therein is when we learn what Martin is made of.

Every player has the right to earn as much as he can, but what price does Martin put on what the club has already done for him?

We don’t need to go into details about the chop stick business, or exactly what happened when he missed training after the prescription sleeping pill mess, but the Tigers put an arm around him.

How much do you put on personal development? What price relationship development?

Martin knows what the club has done and this week in a Facebook interview with Dane Swan — called Sportsmate Footy Live — Martin said the club had also been “great’’ in respect to allowing him to visit his father in New Zealand.

Being best mates and while playing a game of pool at Luna Park, Swan drew from Martin in a rare interview what others can’t.

Asked if he was happy, because he seemed happy, Martin said: “It’s a great club, I’ve got a lot close mates there and I’m really enjoying it.’’

About free agency, Martin said: “It’s a unique position to be in, free agency. I’m happy the way I’m going at the moment. I’ll deal with it at the end of the season.’’

Martin even joked about Swan coming out of retirement and “joining the Tiges’’ in 2018.

To be fair, Martin also joked about joining Collingwood if Swan returned home, so stop getting excited Tigers fans.

It was fun banter between the two mates.

It remains to be seen, however, if it will be fun banter when Martin, Carr and Richmond get down to talk numbers.

Richmond won’t be and can’t be the good guys then.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-need-to-finalise-an-offer-for-dustin-martin-and-not-baulk-writes-mark-robinson/news-story/cffbcb76b0162c98a8aabca6df4d5efe

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What a heap of poo

tony_montana

Blobbo trying to be a media heavyweight and force the club into action.  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Errr no they don't Robbo

Dusty is a restricted free agent...club doesn't need to do anything until they know for sure what others clubs are actual offering

RFC can match any offer if they chose...

Club better off letting it play out and right now avoid getting involved in Ralph's game and his what looks like the new ferret on the top of his head

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Common sense would be if Dusty doesn't want to sign the 800k offer, we simply wait to see what is the best offer and we match it so we don't pay overs for him. Then we are in a strong position because Lions will happily pick him up in PSD and Dusty won't want to risk that.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Common sense would be if Dusty doesn't want to sign the 800k offer, we simply wait to see what is the best offer and we match it so we don't pay overs for him. Then we are in a strong position because Lions will happily pick him up in PSD and Dusty won't want to risk that.

BINGO  :clapping

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

How does the PSD figure in this?

I thought as a restricted free agent Martin would either see us match the offer of another club, or he would go to that club. So he gets to chose where he wants to go, and we have the right to keep him if we match the offer.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

How does the PSD figure in this?

I thought as a restricted free agent Martin would either see us match the offer of another club, or he would go to that club. So he gets to chose where he wants to go, and we have the right to keep him if we match the offer.

If we match he can still move but it's via trade like what happened with Dangerfield. Can't do a trade then ,you understanding is he can wind up in the PSD

But will stand corrected if someone has better knowledge of the rules on this

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame

If we match he can still move but it's via trade like what happened with Dangerfield. Can't do a trade then ,you understanding is he can wind up in the PSD

But will stand corrected if someone has better knowledge of the rules on this

I am certainly not across the rules on this, but I think I understand what you are saying.

Basically if we match the offer, presumably Martin does not have to accept the contact we are offering, even though we retain the rights to him as a player. In which case he would request the club to sort out a trade to the club of his choice, and if that couldn't be arranged, then he would nominate for the PSD as an out of contract player like the good old days.

Jackstar 1960

I believe that is correct
And we get a compensation pick ? In return?
And he ends up at Brisbane ?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

If he was to end up in the PSD we'd get ZERO

We get compo if he leaves via free agency

If it ends up a trade we get picks

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
the druggies offering 1.6 million a year over 5 years.

So says a reformed gambler who has a spot on SEN.

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
 I pretty sure that the highest offer only becomes relevant if he wants to leave..

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

If he was to end up in the PSD we'd get ZERO

We get compo if he leaves via free agency

If it ends up a trade we get picks

Spot on

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
the druggies offering 1.6 million a year over 5 years.

So says a reformed gambler who has a spot on SEN.

What a lemon

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-05-29/club-statement-free-agency
Go Tigers!