Author Topic: Gas to return?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Gas to return?
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »
Mere speculation from myself here. I thought we would have slightly regretted dropping Gas for last weekend considering Thomo took Razor to the cleaners. Me personally I think Razor will be better for the experience but he cant cut the mustard as a FB on a leading forward. Slightly frustrating when you have our best stopper in the twos.

Now I know the new generation of KPPs are these soft-receivers *cough* Bowden *cough* who do mopping up and give great drive off HB but I still think there is room for Gas this season to help the defence against the stronger marking forwards.

Do we bring him back for Williams? I dont think Razor is the matchup and Bowen off a leading forward may struggle. I just feel like we are judging Gas on his ability to kick rather than honing in on what he can offer us. Barker, Dixon and Williams. Gas must play, mustn't he?
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

letsgetiton!

Re: Gas to return?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:39:45 PM »
Mere speculation from myself here. I thought we would have slightly regretted dropping Gas for last weekend considering Thomo took Razor to the cleaners. Me personally I think Razor will be better for the experience but he cant cut the mustard as a FB on a leading forward. Slightly frustrating when you have our best stopper in the twos.

Now I know the new generation of KPPs are these soft-receivers *cough* Bowden *cough* who do mopping up and give great drive off HB but I still think there is room for Gas this season to help the defence against the stronger marking forwards.

Do we bring him back for Williams? I dont think Razor is the matchup and Bowen off a leading forward may struggle. I just feel like we are judging Gas on his ability to kick rather than honing in on what he can offer us. Barker, Dixon and Williams. Gas must play, mustn't he?

as i recall, joel has backed into many packs and taken great strong marks this yr, and he did last w/e, he isnt soft cough cough

there is no room 4 gas.

schulz will come in and play fb, and he will go fwd if needed

as a twist, staff will be dropped and hall will play FF or CHB

i think razor at FF is an option , thinking outside the square and  i reckon could work

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »
If Gas was to come back in then Razor would have to go out. We saw against Freo that we can't have both in the same defence. The sad fact is foot skills are now just vital especially for backmen. Being just a good stopper doesn't cut it anymore. Saying that Gas (though he was apparently very ordinary for Coburg) would be a better option IMO for Williams than Razor even though Razor is a better kick.

Williams is really the only threat up forward. The Hawks won't have Croad, injuries have stuffed up Barker's body and if Dixon is kicking goals then our midfield isn't doing its job properly. Polo can go onto Buddy lol. Roughead will have to play in defence with Jacobs out injured unless they want us to kick 25 goals plus on Dawson or big Campbell.

Williams - Gas/Hall
Dixon - Chubba
Barker - Joel (Joel should run him ragged rebounding)
Franklin - Polo

Then we've got Rainsey and Newman for any small forward they try like Harry Miller with Paddy and Schulz as defensive back-ups.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:18:48 AM »
Hall is a good spoiler and does well away from goal. Close to goal he seems to panic a bit and gives away free kicks and is outmuscled. I put it down to experience, but i'd rather see him on a Tarrant or someone who leads long to the wing.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:59:19 PM »
Hall is a good spoiler and does well away from goal. Close to goal he seems to panic a bit and gives away free kicks and is outmuscled. I put it down to experience, but i'd rather see him on a Tarrant or someone who leads long to the wing.

Took the words right out of my mouth wayne.  :clapping :clapping

Just have a look against the Roos last week. On Thompson at FB he struggled, once moved out from the opposition's goal square he was alot better - perhaps slightly less pressure out there
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
If Gas was to come back in then Razor would have to go out. We saw against Freo that we can't have both in the same defence. The sad fact is foot skills are now just vital especially for backmen. Being just a good stopper doesn't cut it anymore. Saying that Gas (though he was apparently very ordinary for Coburg) would be a better option IMO for Williams than Razor even though Razor is a better kick.

Williams is really the only threat up forward. The Hawks won't have Croad, injuries have stuffed up Barker's body and if Dixon is kicking goals then our midfield isn't doing its job properly. Polo can go onto Buddy lol. Roughead will have to play in defence with Jacobs out injured unless they want us to kick 25 goals plus on Dawson or big Campbell.

Williams - Gas/Hall
Dixon - Chubba
Barker - Joel (Joel should run him ragged rebounding)
Franklin - Polo

Then we've got Rainsey and Newman for any small forward they try like Harry Miller with Paddy and Schulz as defensive back-ups.   

Agree that Gas does not really have a match-up possibility in the Hawks side, so I would leave him out to find form in the VFL.

Williams - Raines & Newman

Agree with the 3 other backline match-ups, with Schulz as a pinch hitter against Frankiln. :thumbsup

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 08:13:22 PM »
BUMP!

I saw an issue at the beginning of last week. Well I saw it on Saturday when Razor was cleaned out by Thommo. The writing is/was on the wall for Razor. I dont know why we persist. Ok let me state one thing, the guy cant mark. He is great on his own but he is useless in a contest. Gaspar cant kick BUT he does his job on his man. Having Gas on Sunday would have helped, why? Bc if a match-up doesnt work u can change. You have flexibility.

I am very very dissapointed in our coaching panel for not picking this up. Its time to stop crucifying Gas for his kicking. Otherwise a lot of players should be dropped for their dirty habits.

Rocca and Tarrant this week. Do we persist with Bowden and Hall?

BTW I agree Gas' time is fastly approaching but for crying out loud Razor is a nightmare.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 02:38:31 AM »
At the start of the year we were saying we could afford least injuries to our key defenders as our backline was the most susceptible part of the team. We were hoping that Thursty and Sarge would gradually fill the void so we weren't still reliant on the old guard of Gas and Chubba or even Hall. It turned out that we've been hit hardest in injuries to our key defenders so much so that we had none against the Swans and had to bring McGuane into the side straight from the Coburg ressies. Our hands are tied when the only real choice is between Gas and Razor. Chocco Royal said on Club Corner that Gas will play against the Pies.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:26:36 PM »
I agree with you mt...and I realise Gas would have been a good mentor (stopper wise) over the duration of this season with those kids playing, but its one of those things out of our control.

Looking forward to seeing Gas back.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »
anyone would be better than hall in defence! take gas over hall anyday

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »
there is no room 4 gas.

i think razor at FF is an option , thinking outside the square and  i reckon could work

This wasnt all that long ago hey?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 08:09:27 AM »
there is no room 4 gas.

This wasnt all that long ago hey?

true, there comes a time where enough is enough! gas has to come in as a fill in for hall, but only if richo is still out injured, thats why i said that, word is richo  wont play v the pies. in this scenario, schulz would have to play fwd. thats why i made that statement

but

say richo is fit to play, then all changes

schulz goes in defence for hall, and gas misses out again. 

however , gas and hall must both be gone next yr , if not cant see why i should buy  my memberships again til they are gone, saying that though , just like i have been a sucker now 17 yrs in a row, will buy a membership regardless, Geez, i kept my membership alive during spuds time where i just wanted to kill something!

if i got my wishlist , next yr gas, hall and tiv would all be gone.

its spewing cogs did his knee , he would have been a gr8 carrot with a draft pick to trade with the eagles for judd, but he is damaged goods now with 0 market value!

Ox

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:31:33 AM »
LMAO@ Gas returning.

Pass the Eno.......

Moi

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 08:39:04 AM »
LMAO@ Gas returning.

Pass the Eno.......
Always wondered what Eno was used for lol
I don't use it  :rollin

Welcome back, Gas  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 04:42:45 PM »
however , gas and hall must both be gone next yr ,

One might go but definitely not both with our lack of KPPs.