Author Topic: One tick for Miller / Miller loses key role in recruiting  (Read 3499 times)

Gordon Bennett

One tick for Miller / Miller loses key role in recruiting
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
There have been rumours about Miller's position at the club >:( and about whether his tenure will be over at season's end.

I'd just like to give him some credit where it's due - he engineered the Polak deal, and so far, you'd have to say it's been a great deal for the club. So well done Greg Miller!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:57:23 AM by one-eyed »

Ramps

Re: One tick for Miller
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
First thing is first. Greg Miller should resign from the board of the Richmond Football Club so Steven Wright can do his job properly and properly evaluate his performance. Whether Miller stays in his job will probably depend on whether or not Terry Wallace is coaching RFC in 2008.

Moi

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:20:40 PM »
First thing is first. Greg Miller should resign from the board of the Richmond Football Club so Steven Wright can do his job properly and properly evaluate his performance. Whether Miller stays in his job will probably depend on whether or not Terry Wallace is coaching RFC in 2008.
Have to agree - should be a fair assessment of his performance and he should stand down.
Well if Sheeds comes there's no way Miller will be there, so that's a bit of a no-brainer.
Agree, doesn't get enough congratse for Polak.  He's been excellent and at the right age we need.  Will be there for years hopefully  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 07:04:14 PM »
True GB and Greg also gets a tick for the Simmo for Fiora deal. Trade wise we've done pretty well the past couple of years. It's spending more money on better resources to decipher between potential draftees that we still need. 

Who is actually up for re-election this year btw?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »
Miller standing down from the board is a must.

I would like to see us get someone like Craig Cameron to the club to replace Miller  :shh

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »
Should get a cross for Kingsley.

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:57 PM »
All the points being made ie. Simmonds, Polak, Kingsley etc, are all very fair points but Steve Wright cant evaluate the Miller performance as things stand because Greg is on the board and he was also the leading vote getter at the election.

Everything needs to be fair- if Steve Wright judges Millers performance is acceptable then he'll stay in his job if not he goes, but the fact remains- Miller is on the board- so how can Steve Wright do what he has to do. Maybe he can I dont know. It just doesnt seem correct to me thats all. Its a personal opinion.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »
I would like to see us get someone like Craig Cameron to the club to replace Miller  :shh

::) ::) ::) :help

:nope :nope :nope

:eyebrow

:nope
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:30:38 AM »
Very Subtle lol

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 01:47:27 PM »

A lot less people will jump and say the same things they were saying about Greg Miller today that they were saying when they elected him to the board

At best he has been a disappointment that didnt live up to expectations, at worst he has been bad for the club, trying to play a Graeme Richmond type role and setting us back further than when he joined.

And let Polak at least finish a season before we ask the jury for its decision

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:09:11 PM »
I think the issue is the amount of $dollars we have spent on recruiting. For several years Miller was it and relying of favours. We finally brought Francis Jackson in just before the 2005 draft, which wasn't enough time for Jackson to have any real input to that draft. So far the 2006 draft picks all have positive signs.

The detail given to us at the draft night last November was impressive and from the comments it is a work in progress.

I'd say keep Miller in place and continue the build up of a fair dinkum recruiting department.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 10:24:27 AM »
I'd say keep Miller in place and continue the build up of a fair dinkum recruiting department.
I'm with you, Gracie

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 11:38:33 PM »
I think the issue is the amount of $dollars we have spent on recruiting.
This is why it annoys me when I hear the Dees boasting about making a million dollar "profit". We've had to cut resources to the bone (lowest spending club on recruiting) to trade out of our debt by ourselves yet these welfare clubs are allowed to spend more despite receiving $1.5m in AFL charity each year  :scream.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Miller loses key role in recruiting
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 01:03:38 AM »
http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/miller-loses-key-role-in-tiger-recruiting/2007/06/14/1181414462796.html#
Miller loses key role in recruiting
Caroline Wilson | June 15, 2007

GREG Miller has been removed from overseeing Richmond's recruiting, with the club embarking on a nationwide search for a talent and list manager as part of a radical restructure of the Tigers' football department.

Although Miller will retain his role as director of football, he appears to have become the first casualty of the restructure, following the club's indifferent recruiting performance over the past five years.

Francis Jackson is expected to retain his role as the club's full-time recruitment manager, with the Tigers also looking to invest in not only an overall list manager to oversee recruiting, but at least two part-time talent-spotters working outside Victoria.

Miller is understood to have met club directors, including president Gary March, over the past week with a final series of recommendations regarding the planned changes to go before the Richmond board next week.

With the Tigers languishing at the bottom of the AFL ladder 11 rounds into the season, without a win, March told The Age after the Geelong thrashing at the start of last month that his board and chief executive had already embarked upon further rebuilding and a restructure of the club's under-resourced football department.

This followed coach Terry Wallace's comments on the eve of the season, that detailed and revealed the club's challenge regarding massive holes in his team's list.

March, when contacted by The Age last night, refused to comment on Miller's relatively reduced new role, saying no final decisions had been made.

Appointed to the board as part of the Clinton Casey ticket at the end of 2004, Miller does not face re-election until the end of 2008. It is not known whether he will retain his position until then.

Increasingly forced to defend Richmond's recruiting performance, since he joined the club almost five years ago, Miller is expected to continue to work with chief executive Steven Wright and the new list manager on player contracts.

He will also continue to work closely with coach Wallace and his assistants in a mentoring role.

Richmond's increasingly positive financial performance — although the Tigers are at present $1 million down on gate receipts from 2006, they forecast a profit of at least $500,000 — has allowed the board to continue to place unprecedented emphasis on recruiting and other football areas.

The club will also bolster its medical and conditioning team and could employ a full-time sports psychologist. It is also expected to plough more money into player development, an area former Lion Craig McCrae will continue to oversee.

However, the board's emphasis remains heavily focused on recruiting and increasing the club's resources around Australia, along with plugging holes in the Richmond list.

March and his team have already begun identifying candidates and the club is expected to make an appointment before the end of the season, with the Tigers increasingly likely to take the No. 1 pick in the national draft. Miller had already been focusing upon out-of-contract players, including Brisbane's Jamie Charman.

March's board has also appointed a significant new fund-raising arm and will next week set about prioritising new football department roles, with Wallace's right-hand man Paul Armstrong expected to remain at the club.

However, Armstrong is unlikely to take the role of overall list manager.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:58:15 AM by one-eyed »
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 01:09:41 AM »
That isn't really massive news because Miller keeps his job as director of football and stays on the board, thus maintaining the unusual position of Miller being his own boss.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine