Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903090 times)

tony_montana

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3315 on: November 17, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »
Martin, Fyfe, daylight.  Cunnington will be a really good player too. Rohan and morabito ruined by injuries. The rest meh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3316 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
Cunnington iz poop
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #3317 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »
Rohan averages about four disposals a game, pre and post injury

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3318 on: November 17, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »
and OE please don't bump Dustin Martin threads at 3am. Nearly gave me a heart attack
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3319 on: November 17, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
When you look at Dusty's peers from the 2009 draft, he's performed better than most if not all of them.

----------------------------------------------------

The top dozen picks of the 2009 national draft reads like this: Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Dustin Martin, Anthony Morabito, Ben Cunnington, Gary Rohan, Brad Sheppard, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Jake Melksham, Jordan Gysberts and Kane Lucas. Heaps of talent in that group, certainly. But considering factors such as the clubs to which they've been sent, lack of development, opportunity or injuries, how many have made a profound impact in four seasons since?

Martin, certainly, for Richmond. Cunnington at North Melbourne. Melksham and, after a few stutters with Melbourne, Scully, are making an impression at Essendon and GWS. But fate hasn't smiled fondly on Morabito or Rohan; Butcher, Moore, Sheppard and Lucas have struggled, and Gysberts might have already come and gone. The same draft, meanwhile, has delivered two proven premiership players from apparently more speculative picks beyond No.40 - Geelong's Allen Christensen at 40, and Hawthorn defender Ben Stratton at No. 46.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/national-afl-draft-is-still-a-lottery-20131116-2xnuc.html#ixzz2kpQFcBrs
you could argue the toss with our r1 selection the last 5 years, FJ is a damned mastermind :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #3320 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
and OE please don't bump Dustin Martin threads at 3am. Nearly gave me a heart attack

Only you would be on here at 3am in the morning on a regular basis.

tony_montana

« Reply #3321 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
When you look at Dusty's peers from the 2009 draft, he's performed better than most if not all of them.

----------------------------------------------------

The top dozen picks of the 2009 national draft reads like this: Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Dustin Martin, Anthony Morabito, Ben Cunnington, Gary Rohan, Brad Sheppard, John Butcher, Andrew Moore, Jake Melksham, Jordan Gysberts and Kane Lucas. Heaps of talent in that group, certainly. But considering factors such as the clubs to which they've been sent, lack of development, opportunity or injuries, how many have made a profound impact in four seasons since?

Martin, certainly, for Richmond. Cunnington at North Melbourne. Melksham and, after a few stutters with Melbourne, Scully, are making an impression at Essendon and GWS. But fate hasn't smiled fondly on Morabito or Rohan; Butcher, Moore, Sheppard and Lucas have struggled, and Gysberts might have already come and gone. The same draft, meanwhile, has delivered two proven premiership players from apparently more speculative picks beyond No.40 - Geelong's Allen Christensen at 40, and Hawthorn defender Ben Stratton at No. 46.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/national-afl-draft-is-still-a-lottery-20131116-2xnuc.html#ixzz2kpQFcBrs
you could argue the toss with our r1 selection the last 5 years, FJ is a damned mastermind :shh

In all seriousness his 1st selections have been great, no qualms there. But tbh Im pretty concerned at the lack of 2nd/3rd/4th rounders etc who have not been able to become regular best 22 players. If we could get 4-5 of them to step up and become legit best 22 and 200 game players it will go a long way to us being serious challengers over the next several years. Players like Elton, Griffiths, Astbury, batchelor, Arnott, Helbig etc - those types

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3322 on: November 18, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
I think the reason why most of our recent 2nd/3rd round picks have not come on is because of the quality of our older players. They are creating competition for spots but haven't leapt past the more established players yet. Additionally a lot of the players in this category are young talls which always come on later. I have high hopes for McBean, Astbury and Arnot this year though.  :thumbsup

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3323 on: November 19, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »
Really glad Williams(choco) is still at Club. Should offer him a contract extension. Really important in developing our younger players

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3324 on: November 19, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
I think the reason why most of our recent 2nd/3rd round picks have not come on is because of the quality of our older players. They are creating competition for spots but haven't leapt past the more established players yet. Additionally a lot of the players in this category are young talls which always come on later. I have high hopes for McBean, Astbury and Arnot this year though.  :thumbsup

Captain optimistic   :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3325 on: December 22, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
The Herald-Sun has put Dusty's contract saga on par with Campbell Brown punching and breaking the jaw of a teammate and Eddie's "King Kong" gaffe  :huh.

Eddie McGuire, Dustin Martin in running for biggest AFL brain fade of 2013

Al Paton
    December 22, 2013 12:53PM

WE'VE all been there. Our brain takes a temporary holiday and we say or do something that later we just can't explain.

It's embarrassing, but, thankfully, most of us are not in the public glare of the AFL world.

Those that are have to choose their words and actions carefully, but sometimes they just can't help themselves. Here are 10 memorable examples from 2013 when some of the biggest names in the game wish they could have their time over (we hope).

DUSTY'S CONTRACT BACKFLIP

Dustin Martin Tweeted that reports he had walked out on Richmond were "totally incorrect". But he found it hard to explain how to better describe his move of rejecting the Tigers' contract to "pursue offers from other clubs".

Backed by manager Ralph Carr, Martin was said to be chasing $600,000 a year, but the hugely talented and sometimes wayward 22-year-old found the open market tougher than expected.

Clubs were quick to cross him off their recruiting lists and a flying visit to Greater Western Sydney didn't work out. Eventually he knocked back an 11th-hour bid by Essendon to re-sign with the Tigers for about what they offered him in the first place.

Dusty gets another mention for the jailhouse gesture in Richmond's elimination final loss to Carlton that cost him a $2000 suspended fine.

More at: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-dustin-martin-in-running-for-biggest-afl-brain-fade-of-2013/story-fnelctok-1226788356563

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3326 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
Dane Swan on the news tonight said he's mates with Dusty and they have "taken each other under their wings".

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #3327 on: February 01, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
Fabulous

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3328 on: February 01, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
First Toby Mitchell and Jake King, now Dane and Dusty what's next? David Beckham and Jack?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3329 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
First Toby Mitchell and Jake King, now Dane and Dusty what's next? David Beckham and Jack?

To quote a trademark on this site:

Terrific, just terrific. TM