Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903092 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3705 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
noticed you were very quiet on the subject earlier in the year when hardwick left martin in the forward line for long periods but he was having little influence due to lack of ball because we couldn't get any drive off halfback.

i assume you were in the back yard trying to work out why you spray your kicks when not looking at the ball as you kick it???
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3706 on: September 01, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »
Doesn't matter where you play him, he's going to have an influence

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin makes giant strides with the Tigers (Age)
« Reply #3707 on: September 02, 2014, 03:23:55 AM »
Dustin Martin makes giant strides with the Tigers

Michael Gleeson
    The Age
    September 2, 2014

GWS didn't know Dustin Martin was coming until he arrived. Richmond never thought he was going, and this year he has definitively arrived.

Martin was out of contract and encouraged by a bullish manager to explore his options to squeeze more dollars than had been available at Punt Road. He arrived in western Sydney to meet the club chiefs. They politely obliged and showed him around, sat down and had a cup of tea.

Martin was asked who his mentors were. "Damien Hardwick and Trent Cotchin," he replied.

The Giants' chief executive and list manager looked at one another and wondered what he was doing there. Martin looked inside and thought the same thing, for his heart was at Richmond. They knew it and so did he. Soon after, he re-signed with the Tigers.

"I didn't know he said that about me. Thanks Dusty," Cotchin said on Monday.

"The reality is he was never going anywhere. I am close with Dusty and, yes, he toured the GWS facilities, but in my heart I knew he was always going to be a Richmond player."

There had been no prima donna storming out from Richmond so there was no sheepish return. Martin walked back into the club as though he had never left. Well, in fact, he had never actually left. It's also easier to come back when your captain doesn't think you are going anyway, and instead just smiles and shakes his head.

Cotchin likes little things about Martin. Like the way he speaks now, his conversation like his football has evolved and matured. He likes his magnetic presence on the field too.

It was unsurprising that when the goal needed to be kicked in the closing minutes on Saturday night it came from Martin. It was unsure if it was by design that Martin was the man to be isolated in the forward line – it probably was – but when the moment demanded the match winner the ball found Martin. It has become what he does.

He is a troubling player one out up forward. Like Mark Ricciuto to whom he has often been compared, his strength enables him to compete in the air with bigger opponents but that same strength stops him from being dislodged from the ball, so he stays on his feet when others fall over.

His speed is too explosive for lumbering defenders, his strength too great for whippy back flankers.  He doesn't always take the mark but he is rarely out-marked. If and when he gets the ball to ground he is a good chance to win it.

Not for the first time this year Martin has kicked the clutch goal when it mattered. Three times he has done it in fact. Three times this year he has kicked a goal after the 20-minute mark of the last quarter when the margin was less than two goals. (He is second in the AFL this year for that stat behind Stewart Crameri).

"I think if you speak to the majority, if not all, of our playing group that is exactly what they would say – that he has that charisma as a player," Cotchin said.

"If it goes in one-on-one to Dusty you know you are definitely not going to lose the contest and in most cases he is going to make something of it whether it be a scoring opportunity or a guaranteed goal. He probably had two or three chances on the weekend to kick the goal and he kicked one, which was the most important one.

"And not just kicking the goal. I think the time we played Carlton early in the year there was a ball that went in to a one-on-two and Dusty chased it all the way to the boundary. It only resulted in a stoppage but had they won that and transferred it the other way it might have been a different result. So it is not just the goals it is his intensity and his effort and we love playing with him. He is a great person, very genuine and just continuing to improve."

Like Brett Deledio, Martin has spent more time forward this year – moves that Hardwick admitted had been central to the second half resurgence of the side, but only able to have happened because of Brandon Ellis and Anthony Miles (surely the best rookie player of the year) so ably covering their absence in the midfield. 

He has booted 27 goals this year to be the equal second highest goalkicking midfielder in the AFL. He is equal with Kangaroo Brent Harvey and behind only Port Adelaide's Robbie Gray of goalkickers who are also in the top 50 ball getters in the competition. He is ranked only behind Jack Riewoldt at the Tigers for goals kicked, score involvements and scoreboard impact (whatever that is).

Among the Tigers he is a giant. At the Giants they always knew he was a Tiger.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dustin-martin-makes-giant-strides-with-the-tigers-20140901-10b4vi.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3708 on: September 02, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »
noticed you were very quiet on the subject earlier in the year when hardwick left martin in the forward line for long periods but he was having little influence due to lack of ball because we couldn't get any drive off halfback.

i assume you were in the back yard trying to work out why you spray your kicks when not looking at the ball as you kick it???

Crap, the ball wasn't there what could he do. Why don't you just stand up like a man for a change and admit... YOU WERE WRONG!!!!! Stop your excuse crap.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3709 on: September 02, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »

Crap, the ball wasn't there what could he do. Why don't you just stand up like a man for a change and admit... YOU WERE WRONG!!!!! Stop your excuse crap.

I think you failed to see he still did have an impact off half back and still managed to kick goals from there too while setting plenty up. Why should he admit that he's better forward when you can't admit we needed his drive off half back when we were playing like poo?

tony_montana

« Reply #3710 on: September 02, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »
Personally I reckon he's been fantastic all year - not sure where the he was quiet for parts of the year has come from - easily been our best and most consistent player in 2014

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3711 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »
Personally I reckon he's been fantastic all year - not sure where the he was quiet for parts of the year has come from - easily been our best and most consistent player in 2014
Agreed tm! :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Rampstar

« Reply #3712 on: September 02, 2014, 11:00:27 AM »
He will win Richmond a grand final one day. Who knows it could happen in a few weeks time  :pray

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3713 on: September 02, 2014, 02:56:50 PM »

:lol not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?
the ball wasn't there what could he do

that my simple friend, is exactly the point.

just out curiosity, what is so good about having a quality player sitting in the forward line when the ball is not getting down there?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3714 on: September 02, 2014, 03:05:50 PM »

[/quote

I think you failed to see he still did have an impact off half back and still managed to kick goals from there too while setting plenty up. Why should he admit that he's better forward when you can't admit we needed his drive off half back when we were playing like pooe?

Yeh look.

It's not that HE'S better off up forward.

It's that WE are better off.
It's also about the timing of the switch and the way in which he
Revels in the challenge.
Jack in the same situation fails.

Dusty is a superstar who's still finding his way.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3715 on: September 02, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »

:lol not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?
the ball wasn't there what could he do

that my simple friend, is exactly the point.

just out curiosity, what is so good about having a quality player sitting in the forward line when the ball is not getting down there?

Stuffing stuff Al

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3716 on: September 02, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
Reckon if he wasn't sore he would of spent some time driving us off HB against the swans :shh

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3717 on: September 02, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
Great thing he kicked that goal. Poor game otherwise.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin & Dyson Heppell on track for club B&F awards (H-Sun)
« Reply #3718 on: September 03, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
Richmond’s Dustin Martin, Essendon’s Dyson Heppell on track for club best and fairest awards

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
September 03, 2014

IF every AFL player went on a huge football trip, Dustin Martin and Dyson Heppell wouldn’t be found sharing a beer any time soon.

Heppell would be hitting up Scott Pendlebury for recovery tips, joining Joel Selwood for dawn jogs and sourcing pilates contacts from Chris Judd.

Dusty would be returning at daybreak while Heppell was heading out, exchanging war stories with Dane Swan and demanding the quaddy numbers from Campbell Brown.

One is a choir boy, the other used to do his best work at the other end of the spectrum.

Yet both should win their club’s best-and-fairest this year after remarkably similar best-and-fairest results over the course of their early years.

Both are primed to play huge roles for this sides in their respective elimination finals.

And when you consider their extraordinary body of work in nine combined seasons a little-used word comes to mind.

Champion.

Neither of those players are anywhere near that yet, but could either have started more brightly, been more consistent, had more influence on matches at 22 (Heppell) and 23 (Martin)?

Martin has won at least three games off his boot this year, will poll his fourth top-four placing in his first five years at Richmond and adds a dynamic no one else at the club goes near.

Richmond’s only Brownlow Medallist in the last 60 years, triple-winner Ian Stewart, says Martin’s junior pedigree has taught him to hunt for every little gain.

“I have seen somebody that played senior football at 15 and 16 at Castlemaine, has a low centre of gravity so he’s hard to unbalance with growing up in an environment where he had to fight for everything he earnt. You see that coming out in him,’’ he said yesterday.

“He is a fighter and if something has to be done he seems to be able to lift to do it. That could come down to playing senior footy early, it would have been tough to play at 15 against men.”

It was hard to see how Heppell could top his first three seasons — Rising Star Award then a pair of top-three b-and-f finishes — until he just went out and did it.

He had 40 touches against Geelong, he saved the Dons against West Coast with 29 second-half touches, he lifted last week with a broken hand when his side was 30 points down.

And in a blink a player who has averaged 28 touches this year shut up the few critics who wondered if he could thrive in the midfield and with injured captain Jobe Watson on the sidelines.

Former Essendon vice-captain Mark McVeigh believes Heppell is the club’s next captain for so many reasons.

“With his game sense and his mind he thinks quicker than others.

“He has been able to sum up situations better than most, he adjusts his kicks, he adjusts his thinking, he doesn’t just blaze away.

“He has the ability to influence games at their most crucial points, as the absolute champions do and that will only come more and more.

“He has empathy for people, the players really warm to him and throughout this whole saga he has been one of the guys who had shone through that. If you talk about someone who will eventually take over from Jobe, you would reckon he ticks most of the boxes.”

How many champions are currently in our game? Buddy, Selwood, little Gaz, Juddy, Pendles, Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt to name a few, with Nate Fyfe getting there quickly.

If the criteria are consistent brilliance, the ability to lift when your side desperately needs you and a very small margin between best and worst, then these two will have that lofty mantle by the end of the decade.

DUSTIN MARTIN — JACK DYER MEDAL

2010 4th

2011 3rd

2012 10th

2013 2nd

DYSON HEPPELL — CRICHTON MEDAL

2011 6th*

2012 2nd

2013 3rd

* Rising Star winner

http://www.news.com.au/national/richmonds-dustin-martin-essendons-dyson-heppell-on-track-for-club-best-and-fairest-awards/story-e6frfkp9-1227045583008

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3719 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »
Remind me who won the rising star in 2010?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...