Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903070 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5430 on: March 29, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »
Dear Dusty: If you walk, we will simply say thank you

In a heartfelt note to one of the game’s greatest players, Mark Robinson tells Dustin Martin that he has every right to walk away from the game.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dear-dusty-if-you-decide-to-retire-we-understand-and-thank-you/news-story/de51b64a30f6661ae455079958627ffa

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5431 on: March 29, 2022, 08:32:57 PM »
"People close to him expect him to come back." Robbo and Gerard discuss Dustin Martin's personal leave.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1508727378138173440

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin --- Jack Riewoldt pleads for best mate’s privacy (AFL360)
« Reply #5432 on: March 29, 2022, 08:56:37 PM »
Richmond star Dustin Martin’s struggles ‘clear’ to players, club as Jack Riewoldt pleads for best mate’s privacy

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
March 29th, 2022 8:39 pm

Richmond players saw teammate Dustin Martin was “struggling” following the shock death of his father in December, with teammate Jack Riewoldt now pleading for his best mate’s privacy.

Martin has stepped away from the game with the full support of the club, as rumours swirl he may never return to the game.

Riewoldt addressed the matter on AFL 360, and said he just wanted to see Martin find “what he needs to find”.

“I’ve text him… a lot of players have text him. He’s responded to a few guys but is taking his time to deal with what he is dealing with,” he said.

“Dusty is one of my best mates. We’ve been through obviously great experiences that people would have seen on TV, watched us in grand finals together.

“He’s a very fun loving character and that part of Dustin we haven’t seen as much of.

“I think it was probably clear to a few of us that he was really struggling before he even knew it himself. But I’m glad that he’s identified it and has not tried to push through.

“I’m glad he is identifying it and trying to fix it and trying to get himself back to being the best Dustin he can be.”

Riewoldt said there was a “fine line” for Tigers players, fans and media approaching Martin about his welfare.

“Kane Lambert, for example, he has a hip injury and every day he gets to the football club and people show care and ask him how he’s going. If you get asked 20 times during the day every day, ‘how’s your hip, how’s your hip’, it starts to become frustrating,” Riewoldt explained.

“I’m not to know that the next person's asked him about it.

“It’s a fine balancing act between reaching out to contact him and also letting him heal himself.”

Describing Martin as the “face of AFL football”, Riewoldt urged the media to give the 30-year-old space.

“How’s the media going to treat him now his mates, the club, people who know him are crying out for people to step back and leave him alone?” Riewoldt questioned.

“He could go full paparazzi – I’d be guttered and disappointed if that happened.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl360/richmond-star-dustin-martins-struggles-clear-to-players-club-as-jack-riewoldt-pleads-for-best-mates-privacy/news-story/7986e4e3589f4de12ec5664945540d44

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5433 on: March 29, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »
Jack was interesting, it seems like Dusty has been noticeably struggling for a long time. I don't think we will see Dusty back for some time. Hope it turns out positive, I so desperately would love to see him back, not because he makes us better but just be a really sad way to finish off the career of the best player Ive seen in our yellow and black.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5434 on: March 30, 2022, 07:21:51 AM »
Well said be Jack last night. Good on him putting it back on the media to leave Dusty alone.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5435 on: March 31, 2022, 11:22:14 PM »
Jack Riewoldt stressed his support for Dustin Martin as the superstar Tiger takes personal leave away from the club.

"Whatever Dustin needs from us, we'll provide him," Riewoldt said.

"We're here for 'Duz' when he needs us.

"He's obviously going through his own pathway now and when that time comes that he feels comfortable to walk back, and it's got nothing to do with playing, but come back to the football club, we'll welcome him back with open arms.

"So looking forward to that day."

Source: AAP

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5436 on: April 01, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »
Meanwhile, Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is no closer to returning from personal leave.

"We have no further update at this stage. It's still at the same stage that we had last (week)," Hardwick said.

"We give him time and we wish him all the very best, and we can't wait to welcome him back at some stage.

"When that is, we're not too sure."

Hardwick chose not to disclose further details, brushing off questions about whether Martin is training while away from the club.

"I appreciate that everyone does want to know where we're at but we'll keep our cards pretty close to our chest," Hardwick said.

Source: AFL website

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5437 on: April 01, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
I’ve never been prouder of the club.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5438 on: April 01, 2022, 03:38:05 PM »
Good on your Hardwick.

Give them as little as possible

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5439 on: April 01, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »
Good idea to be on the front foot with the media. Well played.
I've always wondered if the players get paid when they go on personal leave, I suppose they do like any sick leave but miss out on the match payments element of their wage. 

Will be interesting to see how long this goes on for.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5440 on: April 01, 2022, 10:17:28 PM »
Heard tonight on the news them saying Dusty's situation is a "mystery" :facepalm. What's mysterious about a poor bloke grieving for his late dad who was also his best mate?! What idiots! ::)

As for journos and what they are "hearing"  ::) - Dusty if he is talking to anyone would only be talking to those few closest to him and they wouldn’t be leaking anything. FFS, will the media just leave him alone!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5441 on: April 02, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
Heard tonight on the news them saying Dusty's situation is a "mystery" :facepalm. What's mysterious about a poor bloke grieving for his late dad who was also his best mate?! What idiots! ::)

As for journos and what they are "hearing"  ::) - Dusty if he is talking to anyone would only be talking to those few closest to him and they wouldn’t be leaking anything. FFS, will the media just leave him alone!

:clapping :clapping :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5442 on: April 02, 2022, 07:55:33 PM »
Dusty makes surprise wedding cameo

Richmond star Dustin Martin has emerged from his footy hiatus to attend his mates big day, appearing front and centre in the celebrations.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/richmond-superstar-dustin-martin-makes-cameo-at-friends-wedding/news-story/48c9abfeddc41ee219f08528c7ec9dba

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5443 on: April 02, 2022, 07:58:00 PM »
God’s special message to Dusty

As the Dustin Martin rumour mill kicks into overdrive the longer he remains away from Richmond, Gary Ablett Sr has spoken of his own dramas before taking a break from the game.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-latest-news-on-dustin-martins-personal-leave-from-footy/news-story/57f619208da1134be148232c64365915

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Dustin Martin --- Jack Riewoldt pleads for best mate’s privacy (AFL360)
« Reply #5444 on: April 02, 2022, 08:16:23 PM »
Describing Martin as the “face of AFL football”, Riewoldt urged the media to give the 30-year-old space.

“How’s the media going to treat him now his mates, the club, people who know him are crying out for people to step back and leave him alone?” Riewoldt questioned.

“He could go full paparazzi – I’d be guttered and disappointed if that happened.”
If the media are stalking Dusty at private weddings then they have already gone full paparazzi  :thumbsdown.

ps. Waits for the Daily Mail to publish pics taken from behind the bushes  ::) :chuck.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd