Author Topic: Who do you want @ 6?  (Read 40804 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who do you want @ 6?
« Reply #270 on: November 15, 2010, 12:24:52 AM »
I'm not saying Heppell won't be a good player but I feel we need another genuine midfielders rather than a half-back/rebounder. Someone who plays both inside and outside. Our midfield lacks depth and class once you get past Cotch, Martin and Lids (Foley could be a bonus in 2011 if his ankle/achilles are right). I would love Gaff to fall to our pick but hard to see him lasting to our pick. The way Dimma was talking on SEN saying he was after another mid in the draft who could deliver inside 50 I would've backed us going for Polec (although I still don't think he is the greatest kick) but the talk of Conca has that feeling it's coming from someone in the know because it's come within the last week (similar to Hill going to Freo). Conca is an outside mid so fits Dimma's criteria, is a very reliable kick and has footy smarts from what I've seen. He's also played senior WAFL footy in the second half of this year averaging 18 possies. He's just not as quick and probably doesn't have the roost of a kick that a Polec does.

Conca's stats:
WAFL seniors: http://wafl.pro-stats.com.au/wafl/web/player_games?pid=96277
WAFL colts: http://wafl.pro-stats.com.au/colts/web/player_games?pid=96277
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2010, 01:16:40 AM »
I'm not saying Heppell won't be a good player but I feel we need another genuine midfielders rather than a half-back/rebounder. Someone who plays both inside and outside.
Heppell does play midfield, not just half back flank. He started off down back early in the season but moved into the midfield later in the year and played his best in the middle. His 36 disposal game in the TAC final was predominantly in the guts.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:36 AM »

I reckon he looks a little like Joel Bowden? (appearance not playing style)

Maybe a future #11 if we draft him??  ;D
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline elliot

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #273 on: November 15, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
I'm not saying Heppell won't be a good player but I feel we need another genuine midfielders rather than a half-back/rebounder. Someone who plays both inside and outside.

Heppell is a midfielder! he played HBF due to a loss of fitness and no pre-season as a result of shin splints. Played all midfield as an under 16 in the champs and once his fitness allowed he moved back there this season. He can play centre square and win his own ball and is out standing at delivering it inside 50.

He played on ball in his best game of the TAC cup season where he got 37 possessions and something like 15 clearances to drag the power over the line after being down by 30 points at half time.

His kicking is elite, his Gippy Power coach told his team mates to look for him so that he could distribute the ball that's how highly his decision making and disposal is rated.

Allison said a fair bit of attention would be paid to Heppell in the lead-up to next week's grand final. "He's got balance, he's got poise, he's got very good decision-making skills on both sides of his body. He's in and under and then next thing you know he's on the outside giving a handball receive," Allison said.

Gippsland coach Damian Carroll said Heppell deserved plenty of accolades after an outstanding season. "He's [Heppell] a super player and also very good over head as well … he sets up a lot of play going forward for us," he said.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/heppell-shaping-as-high-draft-pick-20100911-15633.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #274 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:37 AM »
Heppel sounds all class. I wanted him early on and still hope he comes to Richmond via draft pick 6. Would not be unhappy with atley or gaff. I hope somehow essendon do bad in this draft

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
Heppel sounds all class. I wanted him early on and still hope he comes to Richmond via draft pick 6. Would not be unhappy with atley or gaff. I hope somehow essendon do bad in this draft

all 3 look good i just want the best mid not the best flanker.

re: Bombers here here.

they are slowly becoming the new Carlton in my eyes

I just cant stand everything about them.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
Herald-Sun is tipping Polec to Richmond as "the hot tip"...

Jared Polec the complete package

* Andrew Capel
    * November 15, 2010 1:15PM

HE MODELS his game on electrifying Fremantle gamebreaker Stephen Hill and has the legendary work ethic of Port Adelaide All-Australian Kane Cornes.

Blend the two together and it's no wonder Woodville-West Torrens coach Michael Godden describes AFL-bound teenager Jared Polec as being "as good a junior as I've seen come through the system''.

"He's just one of those kids who seems to have it all,'' Godden said.

"Jared's got magnificent skills, pace, he knows how to find the ball and he's got the courage and work ethic to go with it. Obviously he's only young but you'd have to say he seems to be the complete package.''

Godden's phone has run hot with AFL clubs lining up to get his take on the just-turned 18-year-old, who is a member of Henley High School's famed football program.

But only a handful of clubs will get a crack at the long-striding, long-kicking left-footer, who should be the second Croweater taken at the draft (behind Sturt big man Sam Day) and a top-six selection.

With West Coast (pick four) apparently set on Victorian Andrew Gaff, Brisbane and Richmond are next in line, with the Tigers the hot pre-draft pick to read out Polec's name.

While Godden sees similarities between Polec and his hero Hill  -  "they move very similarly and possess the same coolness and freakiness to get out of tight situtations" -  he said  it was Polec's work rate which virtually guaranteed he would make it on the big stage.

"He's got all the skill in the world, the wow-factor that turns games, but the thing about Jared that really stands out to me is that he just works so hard,'' Godden said. "He's not a kid who relies on his natural ability.''

Polec's tremendous work ethic was on full display in the SANFL finals when he did not come off for a rest in any of the club's three games.

In the end it caught up with him. Carrying a slight thigh strain and tagged by Norwood ace Paul Puopolo, Polec tired badly in the second half of the heartbreaking, last-minute preliminary final loss to the Redlegs after being best-afield in the first half with 17 telling possessions.

"He just ran himself into the ground,'' Godden said.

"He gave everything he had but in the end he ran out of legs, which is not uncommon for a young player. We had a lot of injuries in the finals so he was asked to do a lot of work and he took that on board and coped really well.''

Godden said Polec was often the first to attend Eagles training and the last to leave, always finding an area of his game to work on.

"I'd walk out of my office at 5pm to get ready for a 6pm training session and Jared was always out on the oval fully stripped ready for training and kicking for goal. He just seems to always have a football in his hands.''

Polec, a flying machine at 189cm and 83kg, said he inherited his strong work ethic from his parents, who are of Polish descent.

"Dad works virtually 24-7 in a butcher shop and mum's always been a hard worker,'' he said.

Polec, who as a 15 and 16-year-old was playing at full forward and full back, now likes nothing more than tucking the ball under his arm and breaking the lines with his blistering pace.

"I love watching Stephen Hill do that so I try to emulate him,'' he said, adding five years of little athletics training had taught him how to run.

A new rivalry is about to begin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jared-polec-the-complete-package/story-e6frf9jf-1225953797620?from=public_rss

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45:56 PM »
However the West Australian papers are mentioning Conca in our sights......

Reece Conca has charged into serious contention as a top 10 pick after being linked to Richmond. The Tigers have the Perth midfielder under consideration for their first selection, No.6.

He would be the third West Australian in the top six. East Fremantle’s David Swallow is certain to be snapped up by Gold Coast with pick No.1, and Peel’s Harley Bennell will join him at pick two or three.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8318895/eagles-set-to-swoop-on-ugle/

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
The idea of having Stephen Hill-esque in our midfield really appeals to me! Clean silky skills with pace to burn!!
Officially on the Polec train.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
The idea of having Stephen Hill-esque in our midfield really appeals to me! Clean silky skills with pace to burn!!
Officially on the Polec train.
Im thinking Brisbane will be too.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
Liked Conca's highlights.

Don't care who we get to be honest, just no x-factor types who we've only seen on a highlights video :lol

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
From what i've been reading, sounds like Conca could be the man.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Hope not , Polec has my vote.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
sorry cant see why we would be going for another 182 cms part time midfielder.

We need taller more skillful options than him.

Its all fluff and media build up. Atley, Gaff or Polec will be our man not this bloke, surely not.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2010, 02:20:28 AM »
sorry cant see why we would be going for another 182 cms part time midfielder.

We need taller more skillful options than him.

Its all fluff and media build up. Atley, Gaff or Polec will be our man not this bloke, surely not.
Who are you talking about? Heppell is 189cm and Conca is 185cm