Author Topic: The Kids: Do we promote them or let 'em keep winning at the Burgers  (Read 691 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
While enjoying the bog at ABD Group Stadium today (otherwise known as Coburg City Oval) I was wondering what should the Tigers do?

Coburg seniors have now won 9 games and are likely to play finals. The Coburg reserves have won 11 games and will definitely play finals (BTW Carl Peterson starred 2day in the reserves :clapping)

Do we keep some of the kids down at Coburg so they can continue to play in a winning side and as a result develop a winning culture or do we keep bringing them up to AFL level to give them exposure.

From what I've seen over the last month watching Coburg I would think that Gus Graham, Trav Casserley (subject ot fitness), Carl Peterson and perhaps Dan Connors are showing enough to warrant a debut before the end of the year. McGuane on today's game (diito Hughes and even Meyer) deserves another chance as well

What do people reckon? I reckon it raises a helluva lot of questions and I will admit I don't know what the right answer is
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: The Kids: Do we promote them or let 'em keep winning at the Burgers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »
The way I see it WP is that essentially we are Tigers fans not Coburg fans so play all the kids in the seniors see if they can play footy expose them at the highest level by determining whether these kids sink or swim that way we can determine whether these kids have the qualities to succeed and whether they have the qualities to be leaders and achievers at the highest levels. We have nothing to lose the way our season is petering out. That way if these boys have qualities we can nurture them and if they don't we can move them on asap.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:57:38 PM »

Let's ask our resident expert on all things AFL.

Well, jackstar what do we do?

(please don't answer sack the coach, that's getting a little boring)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »
It depends on the kid IMO. Those with the natural ability to handle AFL footy should play AFL. The likes of Edwards and Jack for instance who had already played against men as juniors. For them to improve they need AFL experience. They're too good for VFL. Others who aren't physically ready, fitness-wise underdone or have some technique deficiency can work on those things at Coburg.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:36:34 PM »
dont reward poo senior players a chance at playing finals robbing the players who earn'd a place in the Coburg side

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:01:30 PM »
dont reward pooh senior players a chance at playing finals robbing the players who earn'd a place in the Coburg side
There's a 7 game minimum criteria to play VFL finals so Jack playing at Richmond up until round 21 won't make him miss the VFL finals. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd