Author Topic: RFC List Management - Premiership Tilt  (Read 3016 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
RFC List Management - Premiership Tilt
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:10 PM »
We seem to have finally got the rebuild right. Seems we are cursed and we are thrown a curve ball that one of our top 2-3 future stars wants to be shopped around for best offer. Not to mention the fact that our Premiership window will be minutely small before GC and GWS start to peak. We won't have a window when they do their 2nd rebuild.

The club has as big decision to make with two options of managing the list to push a tilt at the premiership.

Do we:

a) Go for a premiership tilt and try and inject some experience and quality into the list and sacrifice some youth/future stars to push for a flag in the next 2 years.

or

b) Continue on our course and try to mix it with the big expansion clubs when they peak.

I've always thought to be going on the option B line but with Dusty wanting to be shopped around and the fact that our salary cap doesn't seem to have a lot of give I'm not sure which is the best way. I hope the club do.

Its seems very 'RICHMOND' to throw out the long term plan and go for a short term tilt but with Dusty being shopped around would it be better for going for someone say a 26-28 year old gun like a Ryan Griffen? Trade someone like Conca and pick 12 to WCE for say someone like Josh Kennedy?* Insert your own trade that includes trading out our youth for older players who are of higher quality now but only have so many years left in the system. This bringing out premiership window forward to compete with the top 4 over the next 2 years before GC and GWS come marching in..

I've hated the short term fixes but maybe its worth looking at as I'm not so sure sending Dustin up to GWS for pick 1 or to Melbourne for pick 2 really helps us much when that player would be 3 years younger than the Gold Coast top end talent.

Should we trade out our youth along with Dusty and get in players at their peak, or to we try and replace Dusty with quality youth and look to compete with GC and GWS when they are peaking. Food for thought Brett Deledio will be 30 when Tom Boyd is 22, if we go down that road. Will our talent be to far spread in terms of experience and age groups that we will lose quality players before some of our younger quality matures? Thoughts?
Go Tigers!

the claw

Re: RFC List Management - Premiership Tilt
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
we are nowhere near a premiership tilt even if martin stays. realistically at least 3 yrs away from a premieship.

we have no option but embrace the draft and take mature players late nd rookie or frre agency.

we have at least become competetive by embracing the draft and being smart about mature recruits. we waited 30 yrs to get the processes right that has allowed us to become at least competetive. why the hell would we change those processes now.

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:45:55 AM »
Agree claw.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
I mustn't have been clear. If Martin stays then we continue on our 'process' of bringing in players through the draft and building a premiership list.

If he goes we lose our prize asset in the 22 year age bracket leaving a hole there and replacing it with an 18 year old kid who will take 4-5 years to peak. Which will dilute the list in terms of having a core group around the ages of 24-28 and being top 4. Which when Martin is 24-28 we should be in the top 4.

We lose Martin do we go with Tom Boyd and co or do we shop around for a like replacement in terms of age and talent or go for someone who is a better player but is older and has fewer years left in the system. The decision will impact signicantly in terms of when we will have a premiership tilt.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
Your love child is Dust Bin. You must be proud of him, the club raised & baby him & next time you could see him running around in the worst club on the planet jumper CARLSCUM.

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
yep dining out with Swann tonight

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
yep dining out with Swann tonight

????

explain
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »
Being reported that Dusty, his dad and Carr are dining out with Greg Swan this evening

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:37 AM »
reported by who?

if he goes il fair dinkum dump manure on the RFC myself.

deal with anyone but not them

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
I have a friend at carlton

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
And what are Carlton going to give us for him exactly? They have next to no bargaining power as he is not a free agent (unlike Dale Thomas).  :rollin

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
Your love child is Dust Bin. You must be proud of him, the club raised & baby him & next time you could see him running around in the worst club on the planet jumper CARLSCUM.

What would you like me to say?

I apologise that when I thought the draft selection of Dusty with pick 3 that I didn't foresee him to chase $$ in 4 years time. Unfortunately U/18 carnivals can only show so much.

Just hope the club benefits from this
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
No chance will he to Carlton.

Unless they give us Kreuzar and their first pick, even then I'd still prefer to send him to Melbourne for pick 2.

Pick 2 is a sideways trade, I don't think we win out of it. But don't think we lose.

Would prefer pick 1. But Dustin will win a flag at GWS at that will cut deep. Prefer to send him to the sesspool of MFC
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »

What would you like me to say?

I apologise that when I thought the draft selection of Dusty with pick 3 that I didn't foresee him to chase $$ in 4 years time. Unfortunately U/18 carnivals can only show so much.

Just hope the club benefits from this

na look l'm just takin the pee out of you. His a great player & has been a breath of fresh air & enjoyment to watch. Was by far the best choice l seen the club make for many years. Would seriously hate to lose him but the fact is he is 80% chance to end up at Carlton in a trade to boost the black power at Tigers, Yarran or cotch's ex TAC partner Kruz is on the table. Carlton want a long term midfielder to replace Judd. Only problem with Yarran is he can fail to follow team rules

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
in sayin that

Kruz & Cotch read each other very well. Maric has someone to help him out & both players can rest forward & kick goals.
Insert a few new midfielders & it could be exactly what we need. of course we have to trade Rewoldt to & buy a real forward like Butcher or we need to change the game plan to have Rewoldt leading fast in the forward 50. Rewoldt has to step up this year for us to make the top 4.