Author Topic: Which weaknesses must your club address ahead of 2015? ...... (afl site)  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Which weaknesses must your club address ahead of 2015? ...... (afl site)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:52 PM »
MIDs:    deledio.   Cotchin.   Martin.   Vlastuin.   Miles.   Hunt.   Sedwards.    Ellis.    Conca.    Donuts.    Foley.    Donuts.   Gordon.   Arnot?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
KPF.   riewoldt.   Mcbean.   Griffiths.   Vickery.   Elton.   

Mid-fwd.   Lennon.    Knights.    Lloyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
Kpd.   Rance.   Astbury.   Grimes.   McIntosh.   Chaplin.   

Small def.   Houli.   Morris.   Dea    bachelor.   Newman.    Pettard

the claw

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

then theres the gaping holes in the list.
chronic shortage of decent mids  both inside and out. the lack of both a kpf and a tall fwd. the lack of a back up ruckman, no sml fwd of note in fact not even a med fwd of note.
just one tall defender and the total lack of cover in the area. the lack of sml and med def who are well rounded and can provide both defence  rebound and dont panic under pressure.

So we dont have Mids, inside or out, Kp forwards, back up ruckman, Small fowards, Med fowards, enough tall backs, capable med backs or small backs. 

Looks like we need a list of 60 then to get all these extra players. Im not saying the the quality of all the players is top notch or that we shouldnt look at improving but really claw. There is a difference between how you see this list and how I do. Not every player will be top class player on any list, that's by shear definition. You don't rate anybody hardly and you don't get to the finals without more than half a dozen reasonable players. Going by the list above we only have about half a dozen.  Its getting really old.
did i say we dont have. no i said we have a chronic shortage in all of the areas i listed.

have a look at the tall fwds we have and we dont have many, we could easily upgrade our kpf stocks with only riewoldt a top level player.

you can say the exact same thing in just about all areas.
take rance out of the backline and what top level tall defender is there. the simple answer is none.
do the rucks as well, we all saw what happened when maric went down.  hampson in 8 yrs of footy sure as hell doesnt look like the answer. what we gunna rely on mcbean and vickery  and griffiths to take over give me a break. what other top level ruckman do we have.

do i need to go on
what top notch sml fwd do we have. or medium fwd for that matter. we dont have any at all.

i wont go on ive said it all already.
we dont have topnotch players or to define that, and im not after a graders here, all i ask for is  good  to very good consistent reliable players and we just dont have em apart from the odd one in each area.

we dont need a bigger list we need to manage the numbers allowed better than we do.

ive said this a lot and it seems i have to keep on saying it.
imo the correct list set up is.

talls

4 kpds
2 tall defenders
4 kpfs
2 tall fwds
4 rucks of which 2 should be ruck fwds. thats a total 0f 16 tall players out of 44. and if searching for and developing talls it could be a couple more.

mids
18  mids which comprises inside, outside, and those much sought after mids who do both well.

flankers
well theres 12 spots l;eft on the list to to accomodate our needs here.  smlfwds, running defenders, shut down defender etc etc. if your mids can perform well  on the flanks you dont even need the 12.
ive said it often in some areas we have adequate numbers but lack the quality needed, for example do we really need 3 200cm below par ruck/fwds.  in  most areas though we dont even have the numbers.
every yr its the same i argue the lack of depth or quality depth and every yr people argue the point.  well what happened this yr when we copped just a few injuries, i tell ya what happened it went to total poo.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:32:11 PM by the claw »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
You cannot have AA standard players in each of the 22 positions

with aa standard b team

Unfortunately

the claw

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »

with aa standard b team

Unfortunately
oh deary me . its not hard to fathom when i say

we dont have topnotch players or to define that, and im not after a graders here, all i ask for is  good  to very good consistent reliable players and we just dont have em apart from the odd one in each area.

you know sometimes if you took the time to read what is being said you would not make so many foolish mistakes. now the above is what i said im hardly chasing after 22 a graders just good to very good reliable consistent players to replace the player we do have.
or are the likes of chaplin houli petterd grimes vickery griffiths hampson  etc etc etc etc okay.
just for you  no one is chasing 22 a graders.
in many ways you reflect exactly our supporters. bnitch moan groan about many players but when push comes to shove defend en all to the hilt.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »
Senior team: chronic shortage of senior mids.

Grimes.   Astbury.   Morris.   
Vlastuin.   Rance.   Ellis.   
Miles.   Deledio.   Hunt.   
Lennon.   Griffiths.   Conca.   
Riewoldt.   McBean.   ShaneEdwards.   
Maric.   Martin.   Cotchin.   

Foley
Knights
Donuts
Houli.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:20 AM »

with aa standard b team

Unfortunately
oh deary me . its not hard to fathom when i say

you know sometimes if you took the time to read what is being said you would not make so many foolish mistakes. now the above is what i said im hardly chasing after 22 a graders just good to very good reliable consistent players to replace the player we do have.
or are the likes of chaplin houli petterd grimes vickery griffiths hampson  etc etc etc etc okay.
just for you  no one is chasing 22 a graders.
in many ways you reflect exactly our supporters. bnitch moan groan about many players but when push comes to shove defend en all to the hilt.

Footballers that are fast, kick, inside/outside ddeficiency don't grow on trees.

Take Geelong. They have built a dynasty in modern times yet have no obvious replacement for Christianson.

In reiwoldt and ranxe the club has quite young a gradebook ends. Ideally we'd have a dozen but that's not realistic.

Grimes vickey Griffith's are promising kpp.

the claw

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
MIDs:    deledio.   Cotchin.   Martin.   Vlastuin.   Miles.   Hunt.   Sedwards.    Ellis.    Conca.    Donuts.    Foley.    Donuts.   Gordon.   Arnot?
vlastuin to date is a flanker as is donuts x2, and gordon. shedwards lol,  arnot just got delisted, foleys best is behind him it seems and is just average ,  conca well he could go either way. and ellis is so outside its griggesqe.
of that lot i count 9 mids  and even if you included them all as mids theres 4 short.

the claw

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 08:33:13 PM »
KPF.   riewoldt.   Mcbean.   Griffiths.   Vickery.   Elton.   

Mid-fwd.   Lennon.    Knights.    Lloyd

mcbean vickery and griffiths are all 200cm ruck fwds, there is a distinction to be made. elton is being groomed as a kpd and looks like he will either make it there or fail all together.so cross him off the list.
we are short of kpfs just 1  and have an abundance of 200cm ruck fwds of which all 3 to date are not real good either as a ruckman or as a fwd. 2 kpfs 194 - 197cm  are needed and at the least 1 tall fwd 190-194 cm.

lennon knights lloyd are all med/sml fwds. you can add petterd, gordon mcdonough  and maybe knights to the med/sml fwd list none are yet to show they are top notch or even anything better than a battler.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »
What is wrong with riewoldt and a fleet of 200cm talks? Maric Vickery Griff bean

Why do you want them to be short?

Rampstar

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:16 PM »
Negative fans.

Yep. The difference though they just have opinions. In years gone by those opinions were like a virus which infected the clubs decision making through coteries

that's a myth peddled by failed coaches and failed administrators to lay blame at the feet of others

the claw

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »
Kpd.   Rance.   Astbury.   Grimes.   McIntosh.   Chaplin.   

Small def.   Houli.   Morris.   Dea    bachelor.   Newman.    Pettard
rance,  astbury and chaplin are kpds though chaplin hardly plays the role. elton is a junior kpd and he is struggling.. we need to find a top notch kpd to partner rance as the others look ordinary.
with elton the numbers are fine but the quality or standard of player is just not good enough.
grimes is a third tall and imo a poor one at that, mcintosh is also a third tall more a running defender.  we have two third  tall def  on the list the number is adequate byt again wheres the quality.

sml/med defenders
we have newman should have been cut, houli sheesh people dont see it but hes a big part of our problems, vlastuin should be a top notch player but hes a fair way off it yet.dea, batchelor have both had an inordinate amount of time and produced nothing. lastly theres morris while we have no one else capable of playing on those pesky sml fwds that carve us up we have to keep him.
just one potential top notch player the rest are replaceable.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 08:49:14 PM »
It doesn't matter what vlastuin is currently it matters what he can be.

Gordon plays hff / wing is midfield given flooding and zones.

Mcdonuts will go thou the guts at stages

Shane edwards has excellent inside mid stats.

Foley best is ahead of him given his injury history, he isnt playing on a leg with no muscle.

Conca is serviceable

Ellis is outside but very good at what he does.

There seems to be speculation arnot will be on the list next season

A grade:    martin deledio cotchin

Future: a grade:    miles. Vlastuin

Could always use a dangerfield but it's not as bad as you cry

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »

Foley best is ahead of him given his injury history, he isnt playing on a leg with no muscle.

So you think we'll see a 30 year-old Foley, after years of injuries, deliver performances even better than his efforts of 2007-8?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.